Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mylaps Registration

Default Mylaps Registration

Has anyone else run into this?

I just bought a new (to me) car that has a hardwired transponder. I asked the previous owner to unregister with Mylaps so I could register the number in my name.

He was told that only the original owner could register it, but the new owner, me, could return it and get a 40% discount on a new transponder.

So I've bought a perfectly good transponder but can only register with my laps if I send them my perfectly functional transponder and $200 so they can send me a different perfectly functional transponder? Talk about Bull@#$t!

Additionally, this is the 3rd "used" transponder I've bought and the first time I've run into this.

Did the previous owner get bad information or has my laps/AMB decided now that they've kinda cornered the market they can stick it to the customers?

Rory

you just need the previous owner or whoever it is currently registered to, to release it from mylaps.com then you can go in and register it

at least thats how I have done it in the past (probably 9 months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    you just need the previous owner or whoever it is currently registered to, to release it from mylaps.com then you can go in and register it
    +1.

The owner is either uninformed, or wants to be able to retain access to prior timing info. There's nothing you can do to FORCE him to release it if he wants to retain it, but if he's simply uninformed you can ask nicely...

Or, you can threaten to drive extremely poorly, so that all crappy laps get "credited" to him...

to add to what Greg said

if the previous owner wants to still be able to view their times for future reference, all they have to do is search by your name because the actual data cannot be erased(will still show their name on those times) for example mine shows the previous owner ran the ARRC in 05 (to bad it shows a DNF so I can't brag )

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post

at least thats how I have done it in the past (probably 9 months ago)
    They have changed their policy; I got this response from mylaps this morning:

Robert,

Personal Transponders can only be registered one time by the original owner, and cannot be changed or transferred. However, we can offer you 40% off the purchase of a brand new transponder by trading in your used one.

Thank you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Name withheld since I don't have permission to quote

Pity, since our MR2 came with a transponder in the previous owner's name.
    Rob Zatz
    EP Mazda RX7
    FF Lola T540

Yea Rob. I should have stated in my post that the previous owner sent me a copy of the email he received. I knew he was not trying to put anything over on me. I had hoped that he asked the wrong person or was getting an answer to a different question.

As stated earlier, the new policy is BULL@#$%!!!!!

WOW !!! that is just pathetic.

like they aren't already making enough money from them. They must have finally realized that those transponders are as good as property, since after a few years you can typically sell them for more than you paid for them.

That is wholly unacceptable. Yet, there is nothing I can think of to do about it.

With the regions all in bed with this company, requiring us to purchase them in order to race, we are completely subject to their requirements, whether we wish to or not. We have no recourse that I can think of at this moment.

I'm stunned.

Well they are our regions. Maybe the racers should ask their regional execs to request this be put back to how it was, or we start looking at alternative timing/scoring options.

I'm serious. It is our club, even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Well they are our regions. Maybe the racers should ask their regional execs to request this be put back to how it was, or we start looking at alternative timing/scoring options.
    +1. And now I'm pissed off enough to pay extra money/dues/entry fees to make it happen.

Anyone know what the copyright/patent status is on these devices?

I'm extremely pissed off about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    That is wholly unacceptable. Yet, there is nothing I can think of to do about it.
    www.gregamysversionofmylaps.com

AMB doesn't have any rights to the data from the scoring systems.

All you need to do is create the applications to make the data available from the database.

With the regions all in bed with this company, requiring us to purchase them in order to race, we are completely subject to their requirements, whether we wish to or not. We have no recourse that I can think of at this moment.
    "Hey, T&S! Can I have my time card? Can I have John Doe's time card? Here's a data transfer device. Can I have them all?"

It has nothing to do with T&S. Mylaps.com is a service that AMB provides, for free. Your transponder works whether you register or not. You have access to all of your times regardless of your status as the original owner of the transponder.

DC Region used the system for a number of years without making use of mylaps.com. T&S posted the time cards as a PDF.

I'm in the same boat on the transponder which came with my ITS car. I'm just going to ask for the previous owners logon and password.

I'll let you know if that works OK.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

(Sounds of gears turning...anyone know of any decent web/database coders...?)

In my radio control racing world, we use AMB transponders also. There is a company in the UK which can make AMB compatible transponders and clone the ones you already have.

http://www.team-mrt.com/

The RC transponders are not the same as the road racing, but, I'd bet it is the same technology.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    www.gregamysversionofmylaps.com

AMB doesn't have any rights to the data from the scoring systems.

All you need to do is create the applications to make the data available from the database.

"Hey, T&S! Can I have my time card? Can I have John Doe's time card? Here's a data transfer device. Can I have them all?"

It has nothing to do with T&S. Mylaps.com is a service that AMB provides, for free. Your transponder works whether you register or not. You have access to all of your times regardless of your status as the original owner of the transponder.

DC Region used the system for a number of years without making use of mylaps.com. T&S posted the time cards as a PDF.
    You are exactly right. Great points. We can just take control of the data. It would be a hell of a lot easier to find results without an entire planets worth of motorsports to sift through
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I'm just going to ask for the previous owners logon and password.

I'll let you know if that works OK.
    thats a great idea, way to beat their system. :026:

but its still the principle that is crazy.

With the price of the transponders up in the range of $400, its too bad their is not a way for the track to gets times from data loggers(without each person giving them a file) since for $1000 each person could buy a DL1 and get a whole lot more features.

agree a transponder will still work and its only the mylaps feature that won't, but when I am paying $400 for a transponder it would atleast be nice to view each lap individually and compare to others.

You are exactly right. Great points. We can just take control of the data. It would be a hell of a lot easier to find results without an entire planets worth of motorsports to sift through
    We can take control of the data, but we won't. Let's be realistic. SCCA could jump all over this and become the record of reference for our race results. But it won't.

When considering buying a car it was nice to be able to go out and look at the times posted. Nice to be able to look at a large representative number of races and see how the driver/car performed.

Also nice after races to know where to look. Nice to have one single place to see results.

This is something known as "value". But when you are selling a product to people who have no choice in what they are buying, you are wasting money if you spend a dime to provide "value" when you don't have to. Even over the last 1 year I have noticed mylaps going from being fairly useful to being mostly useless.

Picture a barrel. Picture us over it. Get used to it.

jim

Jim Hardesty
    Diablo Verde ITC Civic