Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door gutting

Default Door gutting

Carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating, attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed. Door interior trim panels may be replaced with 0.060” aluminum securely attached to the door. All other interior trim panels, except the dashboard, may be removed. Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized
    modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.

I have read the rule above over and over again I get no answer from what I am reading. Are we allowed to take the window and the window regulator out of the doors? This might be a dumb question but I need to know for prepping my car. My educated guess is that the window should be removed for safety but regulators I do not have the slightest clue. Also do you have to put 0.060" aluminum panels on the doors after you remove the factory door panels? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jwesleyc3; 10-31-2008 at 03:51 PM.

2008 GCR
    pg 97
    9.4.D.
    D. SIDE PROTECTION
    Two side tubes connecting the front and rear hoops across both door openings are mandatory. NASCAR-style side protection or one bar bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted. Door side tubes may extend into the door. In American Sedan, Improved Touring, Showroom
    Stock, Spec Miata, and Touring the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed only if the door bars extend into the door cavity. The stock side impact beam and the outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified unless specifically authorized in the category rules.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

With-out Bars going into door------ NO
    WITH Bars going into door---------- YES
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

If it is a new car you can gut the door only if the door bars extend into the door cavity. The aluminum panel applies if you do not gut the door, but want to remove the oem door panels. I guess you could make an argument that even with the door gutting you sould cover any remaining part of the door with the aluminum panel, but I don't think I've ever seen that done.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Wow I guess I missed reading that page thanks for the quick replies. OK I am now confused. I cannot gut the door unless I have bars that extend into the door?

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    If it is a new car you can gut the door only if the door bars extend into the door cavity. The aluminum panel applies if you do not gut the door, but want to remove the oem door panels. I guess you could make an argument that even with the door gutting you sould cover any remaining part of the door with the aluminum panel, but I don't think I've ever seen that done.
    Ok thanks a million!

Here's an example of leagal door gutting.................

Dave Dusterberg
    ITA#9 Dodge Neon
    2011 Indy Region SCCA Activities Director
    http://www.indyscca.org

Hmmm...neon??
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for the picture example. Now I am on the right track.
    1985 Mazda RX-7
    Future ITA/7

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    I guess you could make an argument that even with the door gutting you sould cover any remaining part of the door with the aluminum panel, but I don't think I've ever seen that done.
    My car is built that way.

Last edited by JoshS; 10-31-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Better photo
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I think the intent of the aluminum panel rule is that if your door isn't gutted, there will still be glass in the door (when the window's rolled down for racing). If the inner door liner is removed, there are likely openings that could allow the glass to get to the driver in case of impact. This should help keep it a little more under control.

Let's not get into the topic of the rest of the glass in the car...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Hmmm...neon??
    Yup.

Dave Dusterberg
    ITA#9 Dodge Neon
    2011 Indy Region SCCA Activities Director
    http://www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    2008 GCR
    pg 97
    9.4.D.
    D. SIDE PROTECTION
    Two side tubes connecting the front and rear hoops across both door openings are mandatory. NASCAR-style side protection or one bar bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted. Door side tubes may extend into the door. In American Sedan, Improved Touring, Showroom
    Stock, Spec Miata, and Touring the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed only if the door bars extend into the door cavity. The stock side impact beam and the outside door latch/lock operating mechanism shall not be removed or modified unless specifically authorized in the category rules.
    I just looked at your build pictures and they was very educational. I use to hate the winter months but now I know why they exist. Time to build my car with some confidence!
    1985 Mazda RX-7
    Future ITA/7

I preferred to keep the windows in so ran the door bar right up to the door's inner structural panel. I cut the OEM door card, and added the alum below the area where the bar hits.

Not quite the question, but another option.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
    I preferred to keep the windows in so ran the door bar right up to the door's inner structural panel. I cut the OEM door card, and added the alum below the area where the bar hits.

Not quite the question, but another option.

Just when I was going to ask another question about the location for the windshield cross tube your picture answered it for me.
    1985 Mazda RX-7
    Future ITA/7

Another option to ponder.......... My dash-bar is at the middle door-bar & behind/in the dash
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

Yes, whenever possible, the cross car tube should allow sufficient knee room, especially in a crash. Mine is under the das on my RX-7. They are often referred to as "knee breakers"....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

i had a broken windshield a couple of years ago and used that opportunity to add a bar above the dash.

the local glass installer was great. pulled windshield one week and installed replacement the next.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by mtownneon View Post
    Yup.

HA! A neon neon!:026:
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    HA! A neon neon!:026:
    he didn't just say what I think he did, did he??
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"