Thread: Any interest.....

Default Any interest.....

In a West Coast Regional Championship series??

Josh,

As a side note, I noticed the number situation is pretty plugged up in IT. How does a visting person get a number when all the numbers are already perminantly taken?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    In a West Coast Regional Championship series??

Josh,

As a side note, I noticed the number situation is pretty plugged up in IT. How does a visting person get a number when all the numbers are already perminantly taken?
    Right now there's virtually zero crossover between SoCal and NorCal IT drivers. Why would there be? Both areas have three great local tracks (Of course, I personally think ours are better!)

I'm not sure you can convince IT drivers to travel further away regularly, especially when there are already a lot of weekends on the local schedule. Of course, I'd LOVE it if some ITR cars had some incentive to come up and visit!)

As far as the car numbers in SFR, your permanent number is reserved at each race until 10 days (I think) prior. If you haven't registered by then, then your number may be assigned to someone else. So for those without a permanent number, it is sometimes the case that you won't find out your number until a few days to go. The entry form asks for your top 3 choices, so ... prepare appropriately.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Belmont to Willows is 161 miles

Belmont to Buttonwillow is 256 miles

So that's about a 4 hour tow, instead of a 3 hour tow to TH

As far as numbers go, with soo many of the SM's running in both Group 1 as either ITX or ITE, or in Group 5 as ITA, or in their own Group 7, it's a crap shoot.

This is also why we see some terrible numbers on most of these cars, since they can't have the same number in all 3 groups.

Best suggestion, is get a whole bunch of magnetic type numbers, and change on the fly. Just make sure to tape the leading edge or you won't have it on the car at the end of every session.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Right now there's virtually zero crossover between SoCal and NorCal IT drivers. Why would there be? Both areas have three great local tracks (Of course, I personally think ours are better!)

I'm not sure you can convince IT drivers to travel further away regularly, especially when there are already a lot of weekends on the local schedule. Of course, I'd LOVE it if some ITR cars had some incentive to come up and visit!)

As far as the car numbers in SFR, your permanent number is reserved at each race until 10 days (I think) prior. If you haven't registered by then, then your number may be assigned to someone else. So for those without a permanent number, it is sometimes the case that you won't find out your number until a few days to go. The entry form asks for your top 3 choices, so ... prepare appropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by racer_tim View Post
    Belmont to Willows is 161 miles

Belmont to Buttonwillow is 256 miles

So that's about a 4 hour tow, instead of a 3 hour tow to TH

As far as numbers go, with soo many of the SM's running in both Group 1 as either ITX or ITE, or in Group 5 as ITA, or in their own Group 7, it's a crap shoot.

This is also why we see some terrible numbers on most of these cars, since they can't have the same number in all 3 groups.

Best suggestion, is get a whole bunch of magnetic type numbers, and change on the fly. Just make sure to tape the leading edge or you won't have it on the car at the end of every session.
    Thank you for your reply Josh and Tim. I thought I'd post this here due to the lack of message traffic in your regional message board. The rumor from our Comp board is our weekends should pretty much be in the same order. If it's the same for SFR, then this is what I was thinking:

First weekend in May at Laguna Seca:
    First weekend in June at Fontana, for a unique Roval race, and possibly an enduro:
    Labor day at Infineon:
    Third weekend in October and series final at Buttonwillow.

Score would be based on the best six finishes, that way if someone wanted to only make one race out of region double it wouldn't kill their chances at a good result. Also as this would be an informal addition to the already scheduled regional, we'd simply give out a trophy/plaque at the end maybe during the our respective banquet's. I see it initally as low-key for bragging rights and trophy kind of event.

I did look at the numbers situation, it seems there's a few rental car guys taking up a good number of the numbers, and you don't have the ought numbers either. Having just been through this a couple of weeks ago with having three number 47's then two 97's before winding up with a 77 provided a fair bit of humor on the land-line, if you know the dry as a desert wind humor of Cal-Clubs flaggers then you'd know. Linda once told me that the Cal-Club flaggers motto was "Our resolve is flagging"
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

We have a regional message board?

I don't think there's often a number collision problem by the time cars get on the track, but it definitely happens sometimes. Tim would know better. And that's right, we don't use the "ought" numbers in SFR.

As far as the program, it definitely sounds like fun. I really like Cal Speedway, it is a unique experience compared to our tracks ... not so wild about Buttonwillow, mostly due to the lack of a town and acceptible lodging, but at least it's only 4 hours away.

Would you expect our board to do anything to promote this thing? I already asked them to participate in the ITTC this year, and that wasn't exactly a huge success, it drew essentially zero additional entries. Perhaps the advertising wasn't great, maybe the Thunderhill location wasn't great, etc ... but I don't want to go to the board without some good ammo. If it's "unofficial" and the region doesn't need to do anything, then of course, let's just give it a go and see what happens.

It'll be a couple of months before I'm willing to commit to anything specific for next season, but with this simple program, I might be willing to participate. I hate having to trade off weekends between our championship series and "extracurricular" events ... and I don't really want to add more weekends to the schedule! But I guess two additional weekends isn't too much to ask ...
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe