Thread: Pit Fire Incident at VIR????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We don't need to refuel for 1 1/2 hour ECR (so we don't). Do the majority of the cars actually have to add fuel, or is it just added during the race for weight reasons?
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

Yes, we have to refuel the Z to make an hour and a half. Some SMs have to refuel too, 1.5 hours is right at the limit of their endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Team SSR View Post
    We don't need to refuel for 1 1/2 hour ECR (so we don't). Do the majority of the cars actually have to add fuel, or is it just added during the race for weight reasons?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Seems like some folks need to get their facts straight before creating a hornet's nest. Didn't this thread start with a "alleged" pit fire?

It was huge! A fireball that could be seen in Milton! We all died!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

More fuel for the fire (Pun intended )

This thread gave me flashbacks to one of the 12 hour races at Homestead. I was the fueler for Guy Marvin and Greg Ira in their #33 240z. We got the word from Charles Perry (third driver) that the car had almost no brakes and needed to come in for an immediate unscheduled pit stop. As many of you know you’re allowed to fuel the vehicle while wrenching on the opposite side of the car so it was a "perfect" opportunity to do the front brake swap. Well as it turns out the piston had popped out of the caliper spewing very hot brake fluid over an area rich in hot tire rubber and an EXTREMLY hot brake rotor. Needless to say we got flames. Meanwhile I’m holding the jug of gas filling the fuel cell through a giant funnel (not very efficient and can be very messy.) Luckily I was able to halt the fill and back away from the car as the fire was contained and extinguished before reaching fuel vapors.