Thread: Pit Fire Incident at VIR????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    No Greg, he actually worked more Daytona 24 and Rolex races than most people have watched on TV.
    Ah, OK! didn't know that. That settles it, working corners at the Daytona 24 trumps my pitlane fueling safety concerns.

Greg

(P.S., just curious: what are the pit lane requirements vis-a-vis safety equipment for fuelers and fire bottle personnel during the Daytona 24 Hours/Rolex events...?)
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 10-28-2008 at 11:08 AM.

No Greg, I was just pointing out your mocking comment about his experience was a little off.

We wear full nomex with the entire crew and fueler and fire bottle must have helmets with shield down at all times. No fueling can start until fire bottle holder has 2 feet on the ground.

I would personally not fuel or hold the bottle without my fire gear. Anyone who feels as you do should do the same. If someone likes fire in a T shirt Darwin will take over for us.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    No Greg, I was just pointing out your mocking comment about his experience was a little off.
    I never intended to "mock" anyone's worker experience. I was simply pointing out the differences between working a corner and working fire safety in the pits...

GregA, former National F&C license holder, proud former member of the Texas Turn Marshals and Racer Chasers. Still have the (cotton) suit with patches...

From the Grand-Am rules, applies to rolex and koni.

9-5.8 Pit Equipment –
    Uniforms – All crewmembers must wear clean uniforms, at all times during practice,
    qualifying and races. Tank tops, short pants and other inappropriate attire will not be
    permitted in the hot pit area. Whenever a car is in the pits, crewmembers, industry
    representatives and all other individuals over the pit wall must wear a full-fire resistant
    suit on their exterior (see fueling regulations). Fuelers and fire bottle men must also wear
    gloves, Balaclava and eye protection during fueling.

9-5.11 Each race car pit must have a fully charged 10lb. fire extinguisher present at all times.

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires