"Seems like some folks need to get their facts straight before creating a hornet's nest. Didn't this thread start with a "alleged" pit fire?"

Seems like some folks need to read the post before spouting off. This thread started as a question because I had received an e-mail from the SEDIV Chief of Emergency Services stating that because of an incident in the pits at VIR he was suggesting the following rules.

1. "two 10 lb or one 20 lb AB or ABC fire bottles to be
supplied by all competitors and available in hot pit"

2. "ALL over the wall personnel during fueling would be
required to wear full fire gear, including balaclava and
helmet"

3. "Speedy Dry in all pits supplied by competitors (ECR rules
allow water OR Speedy dry"

I don't agree with the extra Ab or ABC bottle, they work on gasoline, are OK for electric, and totaly useless on fiberglass, besides if an incident occurs in the pits that requires more than a ten lb bottle, the operating Steward had BETTER have the fire truck on site NOW. Cold Fire is expensive, and SCCA has not approved Cold Fire anyway, so we couldn't use it if we wanted to.

I agree with the "over the wall rule", except I believe the fire bottle person could just wear a balaclava, but the cheaper M helmets could be avaiable for this also and that might make the rule work.

I totally agree with the Speedy Dry rule, water just makes a mess and is marginal at best. And speaking of a mess, have you ever tried to clean up the mess made by a dry chemical fire extenguisher? Check the picture and it will give you some idea about what happens when they are used.

While we are on the subject of fire safety, let me mention that if you use a helmet fresh air system, make certain one of the FIRST things you do if you have a fire is to shut the helmet cooler off, it pumps smoke directly into your helmet and reduces your aware time by at least one half.

If you don't think corner workers deal with fire, check out this picture, I can assure you they do and, thankfully they are very good at it. I was still in the car when this picture was taken.

Krys Dean, ECR Chief Steward, South