Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSB Pontiac Solstice

Default SSB Pontiac Solstice

So, looking at the success of the Solstice in SSB - where would this car be classed in IT? Could it be classed in IT?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    So, looking at the success of the Solstice in SSB - where would this car be classed in IT? Could it be classed in IT?
    Automotive AAD, personified...

Aad?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Automotive AAD, personified...

Dude, you are soooo right. Ben - you are a mental case. It will be an ITS car...heavy for a 4-banger but it is what it is. And I firmly believe that what makes for a good SS car doesn't for sure make it a good IT car.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Question Saturn Sky?

Is the Saturn Sky also classified the same?
    Tom
    Owner/Driver of the TF American Racing Mustang ITB/STU #00 (in repair mode)

I don't just burn the candle at both ends...I use a blow torch"

http://tfamericanracing.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by EBSNASCAR View Post
    Is the Saturn Sky also classified the same?
    Neither are classed now but I would assume so given they have the same running gear.
    Andy Bettencourt

Hey, I'm just askin' - doesn't mean I already have a deposit on one or anything....maybe. I only just returned to ITS for three races - I got at least one full NARRC effort for ITS left in me. My beater car did pretty well against the top flight cars.

I think the Solstice would be an expensive car to buy and run in IT and I agree that it might not do well against much lighter cars.

Remember, I still have my '98 Boxster to develop into an ITR car when I get tired of driving it on the street. Now that ride would do VERY well in ITS - not sure about R. I'll have to do some rules lawyering...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

PS - I wonder if I have the record for buying, building, abandoning or racing and selling the most cars in an 8 year period - short of a pro team. I'm on my third ITS RX7.

The disease is AAD - Automotive Attention Deficit disorder - when a driver gets attracted by shiny race results, cars not developed and raced by smart people and waste of resources on cars not currently being campaiged.

Case of beer to the sucker who can name all of the cars I raced :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post

Case of beer to the sucker who can name all of the cars I raced :-)

I know I'm missing some..... 944, RX7, stocker...........Hmmmmm
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I know I'm missing some..... 944, RX7, stocker...........Hmmmmm
    3 RX-7's....
    Andy Bettencourt

I think I owe Laughton at least SOME beer - he remembered my 944. The Fiero abortion was the other car and that never made it to the track - thankfully John Wiesberg talked some sense into me on that misbegotten project, sold it and recoverd nearly all cash.

Being a total psycho I'm looking for something to play with this winter. It won't be a Solstice - Mr. Bettencourt gave me the lowdown on that car.

Back to the Porsches - ITR car for development. Boxster, 968 or 944 S2? I think the Boxster is more of an S car at the weight it's classed. I have one but it's too nice to tear up. 968 with 236HP at the crank - mmmmmmm. Too bad none of the maniacs on this board live close - I can offer a great shop and unlimited beer to a talented person who could rip apart a Porsche, cage it and have some fun next year.

How has the Blethen S2 faired?

Fear not Flatout - I will still bring my RX7 to you guys for optimization in the cold months. The beater has shown enough potential.

One problem - my wife grabbed the check for the stock car out of the mail...."what's this honey?"
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ben,

While pursuing your other "options", I really think you need to work with Phoenix to build GTA there in NEDIV. You already know the cars are the best bang for the buck out there and Phoenix has the wherewithal to promote the class to "whine and cheese" crowd of the Great Northeast.

BTW - I'm lobbying heavily with Todd to include GTA in the 2009 IT-Fest. He said something about putting us in with ITC...

You're on your own as far as explaining the check, however.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Hey Butch - I've been pulled back into the IT fold by the great racing - but I'll sure lobby Pheonix to do GTA - it is the hands down best bang for the buck anywhere. Unfortunately the "gentry" of the North doesn't seem to get it. I saw a total of three stock cars all year north of Summit Point. Two of those cars were running ITS times.....

IT Fest with ITC - you guys will need some cow catchers on the front valance :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ben- I bought and sold a perfect 944S2 candidate for ITR. It IS a great car for the class, but when I really dug into what was needed the answer came up: Cash, and lots of it, and deep knowledge. Take a look in that engine compartment. Remind you of a boat? It should, it's another hole in which to throw money...

John Millege ballparked me $15K as a start on the motor, then there's the ECu. A trip to Chuck Morelands Elephant Racing website yeilded the suspension component costs, then there's sets of wheels, and a good cage, and it was looking like a build would easily clean out $30K of my favorite dollars. And that's fine and all, but you know it' will never come back to you, AND, one missed shift can be catastrophic. Rotaries are good that way.

Too bad the RX-8 is so heavy in R.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

No kidding Jake - the RX8 would be a sweet ride.

I've also looked at buying some of the Spec Boxsters that have been built and sorted - $40K was the going price - I wonder how much quicker it would be than my RX7...which was $5K.

I'm still hallucinating over running a Porsche in IT. Remembering how much $$ Kip had in his 944S is a great snap to reality.

The ultimate would be a 968 Club Sport style ITR ride - base cars can be had for $6500 - but sheesh what $$ applies to the S2 goes higher for the 968.

There was a guy with a white 968 racing at Pocono this year. Anybody know that guy?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ray (Blethen) was doing OK at the IT-Fest this summer, chasing me around in Quali, but then had a small electrical fire (never heard back on the resolution on that, I was guessing a ref sensor cooked after a wire got pinched maybe?) and was parked for the rest of the weekend.

I was looking long and hard at an S2 for ITR - cheaper, lighter, and easier to play with the motor than a 968 - but then something faster and (hopefully) about the same pricetag caught my eye... now all I gotta do is get a decent seed fund for this car. Suffice to say I've been talked out of the (relative) safety of a tin-top, for something far more challenging...

Ben - too bad you're too far away, I could definitely make an S2 or '68 fast for ya... even withouth resorting to shelling out money at Milledge! BTW, seriously, if you intend to build on: Diamond Pistons now has a pattern for new stock pistons, as we had 'em cut some for my buddy's S2, and they should be able to scale them up real easy for an overbore. Added bonus, they come with two sets of rings! Well, really, it's only one... just for a 928.

Oh, yeah - I wouldn't shell out the money for a 968 CS for an IT build any more than I would for an M030 car... the only thing worthwhile is a factory LSD, everything else that makes them lovely is gonna get replaced anyway, with proper race parts... M030 suspension is DEFINITELY NOT up to racing!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Ben a good friend of mine is selling his SS Z4 and it is flawless. Just classed in ITR and has good potential. Already caged and fast. Drop me a PM if you have any interest. Price is very fair for the car. I sold my ITS RX7 and only made it a year. Bought a "project" like you and will have it full tilt by spring.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Vaughan. I have three letters for you.

D
    S
    R

Loshack had his new (to him) Stohr out at BHF last weekend. 2nd time he had driven it, nowhere close to optimized aero and chassis setup, ebay motor - new lap record at 1:05. I figure sub 60s will happen next year. Compared to 1:24.x ITB record...

I was looking seriously at Prod in the future, but now am smitten with the fastest class in SCCA - though not so thrilled with the budget required.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Vaughan. I have three letters for you.

D
    S
    R

Loshack had his new (to him) Stohr out at BHF last weekend. 2nd time he had driven it, nowhere close to optimized aero and chassis setup, ebay motor - new lap record at 1:05. I figure sub 60s will happen next year. Compared to 1:24.x ITB record...

I was looking seriously at Prod in the future, but now am smitten with the fastest class in SCCA - though not so thrilled with the budget required.
    SSSSSHHH!! Don't let the secret out!

Yeah, I saw that video... not bad!

I think the whole budget thing is a bit of a red herring... you can buy a Speedsource RX7 too, but it doesn't take that to win in ITS either!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Ben- I bought and sold a perfect 944S2 candidate for ITR. It IS a great car for the class, but when I really dug into what was needed the answer came up: Cash, and lots of it, and deep knowledge. Take a look in that engine compartment. Remind you of a boat? It should, it's another hole in which to throw money...

John Millege ballparked me $15K as a start on the motor, then there's the ECu. A trip to Chuck Morelands Elephant Racing website yeilded the suspension component costs, then there's sets of wheels, and a good cage, and it was looking like a build would easily clean out $30K of my favorite dollars. And that's fine and all, but you know it' will never come back to you, AND, one missed shift can be catastrophic. Rotaries are good that way.

Too bad the RX-8 is so heavy in R.
    Jake,

I double-dog dare you to build an Rx-8
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter