Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Head & Neck Restraint System Are You Using and Why?

I wear the sportsman sliding tether model of Hans, both road and circle track. The only time I notice it is sitting in grid waiting, its a bit uncomfortable on the shoulders. On the track, I never know its there.

Best thing about a head and neck restraint is that it holds your helmet up when you fall asleep, allowing you to nap comfortably- a worthwhile situation when you are racing after a group of late models who are trying to set the record for number of cars wrecked in one feature.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Once you pop the belts you are free to get out of the car with a hans device. there is no additional attached devices. IF by horrible chance my car was on fire I am pretty sure I wouldn't be worring about ripping any drink tube or radio wire while exiting the car.
    Not flaming. I was speaking to something that the HANS might get hung up on while trying to exit the car. More than one guy has been hung up on a headrest (Formula cars) or window net (sedans). The HANS now has quick release tethers that you don't need to release (still just the belts) under normal circumstances. Just next time Joey Hand is upside down with his car dripping fuel on him while his HANS is stuck in the window net the safety workers won't be asking him to climb back in the car to untangle himself or to remove his helmet to get out/away.

I also prefer something that stays in the car when I am exiting. If I was a HANS wearer I'd probably practice undoing the harness AND the quick release pins every time I get out of the car. I won't have to think about it should I ever need to do it quickly.

<sort-of flaming just because I care>. Do yourself a favor....ditch the donut. They can actually ADD to the dangerous forces (fulcrum). Unless you are in a kart (no harnesses) I'd leave the donut in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    Looking at H&N restraint systems and thought I'd poll those currently being used.

What are you using?
    With what options?
    and
    Why?

Thanks in advance

(I know there was a poll but there wasn't a "why")
    First of all I'll answer your questions Tom.

R3, standard no options. Any non-SFI H&N aren't an option because one of the sanctioning bodies I race with requires it. I do like the idea of velocity and acceleration control offered by the ISSACS, but it's not SFI rated so that's a non-starter. Why the R3 over a HANS? The R3 comes standard with a quick release, also the R3 works no matter how loose your belts. It won't be affected by belt slip beause the fulcrum wraps around the rib cage. Finally, I feel like the R3 didn't set the SFI architecture like good Dr. over at HANS, with their less than scrupulous cornering of the market philosophy. So, in a sense it's the non-HANS SFI choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    ....In practice for a road racer, there's absolutely never a need to turn your head all that far. I believe it was a valid concern for drag racers, who were trying to look over their shoulder to see how far behind their competition was. But I never once noticed the limits in a road race......
    In general under "normal" racing conditions I agree. But, if you have a four-off for any reason, you need to clear over your shoulder. That's where I've had prolems with fixed tethers. In this case I'd pop the release to look over my shoulder, but once it's off it takes a minute to put back on....
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    Best thing about a head and neck restraint is that it holds your helmet up when you fall asleep, allowing you to nap comfortably- a worthwhile situation when you are racing after a group of late models who are trying to set the record for number of cars wrecked in one feature.
    I can relate, so often being placed after the big-bore group (AS and ITE) that makes a habit of, if nothing else, thoroughly oiling-down the track before they're done...

Back to the orig question - I have both an ISAAC and a HANS (Sportsman w/ sliding tethers). First one is for racing; been using since, I dunno, I think '02 or '03... tested it once pretty big. Bought it for price but more importantly the higher expected level of side-impact protection vs a HANS - don't have too many occasions to spear a concrete wall in IT racing, but getting t-boned or other side impacts are much more likely.

The HANS is for work, so can't comment on racing use, though I wouldn't have any concerns about using it as such. I will say the pressure on my collarbones etc sucks, usually come away with light bruises after only one or two sessions! Yes, that's with the pads.

But the whole 38.1 single-release thing bugs me (WRT the ISAAC), and I'd have a hard time recommending that anyone else invest money in an ISAAC these days; not because the device doesn't work, but simply because it's a bit of a gamble, seems to me, that it will continue to be allowed even in SCCA... everywhere else has already legislated it out (by requiring a 38.1-compliant device). It just seems like the writing's on the wall, IMO, and the only question remaining is how many more years are we gonna get out of our ISAACs before we're forced to switch by the lawyers.

I expect that sometime in the future, within the next 5 years (solely my guess) I'll end up having to replace my ISAAC with a 38.1-compliant device. That said, I hate the idea of giving any of my money to Hubbard-Downing, rewarding their marketing strategy and tactics. OTOH, it's still the original and best 38.1 device, it'd seem. So this other new device (forget the name already, but it was posted here) is much more appealing... the basic function/effectiveness of the HANS, it would seem, without rewarding Hubbard-Downing... lower price is an added bonus, but I guess that largely reflects the profit margin on the HANS...

Of course, I expect that my next racecar won't have a roof either, so that will help with egress concerns...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post

But the whole 38.1 single-release thing bugs me (WRT the ISAAC), and I'd have a hard time recommending that anyone else invest money in an ISAAC these days; not because the device doesn't work, but simply because it's a bit of a gamble, seems to me, that it will continue to be allowed even in SCCA... everywhere else has already legislated it out (by requiring a 38.1-compliant device). It just seems like the writing's on the wall, IMO, and the only question remaining is how many more years are we gonna get out of our ISAACs before we're forced to switch by the lawyers.
    My thoughts exactly
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post

<sort-of flaming just because I care>. Do yourself a favor....ditch the donut. They can actually ADD to the dangerous forces (fulcrum). Unless you are in a kart (no harnesses) I'd leave the donut in the trailer.
    I fully agree. I also race karts, quads, and have a sportsman class drag truck. Though soon I don't think my body is going to let me run the quads anymore and the go-karts in is fun but also bruises me up quite a bit. In anycase I assure you that when my IT car is finished I will be purchasing something other than a new donut.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I went with the HANS. Cost wasnt the reason since my family surprised me with a gift card that covered most of the cost. But seeing where everyone was going with their rules I stuck with a 38.1 device and the HANS was the better fit for me over the options at the time. There are more 38.1 options now.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I got picked at random to do the NASA bail-out test this past February and got out in less than 8 seconds - including undoing my Isaac.

K
    That's a good point.

Some people criticize the Isaac because it takes extra time to get out, but in the bigger picture, I'd bet that the extra time it takes pales in comparison to the time difference we see from people who actually practice getting out.

Not to mention the old vs young, tall vs short, big vs skinny comparisons.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be making a decision soon. The information about the donut was news to me. Guess I'll leave it at home.

Thanks again.

before the start of the 2009 season, they'll be 2 new choices on the market.... and hopefully shipping. You might want to wait until Jan 1 to make a choice.

1) Defnder
    2) Leatt Moto-R

and with PRI just 6 weeks away who knows what else that will bring.

I currently have a HANS Sport with sliding tethers.