Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Head & Neck Restraint System Are You Using and Why?

Default What Head & Neck Restraint System Are You Using and Why?

Looking at H&N restraint systems and thought I'd poll those currently being used.

What are you using?
    With what options?
    and
    Why?

Thanks in advance

(I know there was a poll but there wasn't a "why")
    Last edited by Tom Donnelly; 10-22-2008 at 03:19 PM.

I will answer if the thread takes off, but I guarantee you there must be hundreds of posts made on this already if you do a search. It's a topic that gets heated debate regularly.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I searched and found alot of debates about SFI and RSI and black helicopters and even what kind of HNR was used, but not what led to the decision to buy a certain type.

I was kinda hoping for; "I bought an isaac cause...".
    or
    "I sold my isaac and bought a hans cause..".
    or
    "My hutchins strangled my cat..."

Or something like that.

Ok, I looked further and found this link...(and quite a few others)

https://improvedtouring.com...Neck+Restraint

Anybody feel like posting with updates now that its 2 years later?

Oh, alllrigggght, I'll play.

I got an Isaac because Gregg bought me a big fat steak dinner and then later when we went to a "club", he procured a couple lap dances for me...

Not what you wanted, eh?

OK, straight up. I got an Isaac because:
    -It has the best protection from all angles.
    -I have faith in my ability to learn proper removal techniques (pull the pins)
    -It meant that to achieve the same level of protection I didn't have to purchase a "winged seat", and then live with the reduced area to egress should the door become inoperable. To me, the net/net on the Hans/winged sea combo is a loss of safety at increased $ cost. bad ratio.

And finally, I got to keep it because the SCCA allows me to make a call based on critical thinking, and I thank them for that.

Now, idealistically, I did NOT get any of the 38.1 devices because of the SFI business methods, but the last reason above was the one that lets me get all idealistic.

Also, to be honest, I got mine before SCCA even discussed limits on the use. So luck has played a role.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake,

That's what I'm looking for. The isaac video of the hans falling off is kinda swaying me too. I've been reading the links and studying but personal opinions from racers I know or know of are great feedback as well.

And I get lap dances too if I make the same choice, right?

Basically what Jake said, except I didn't get the steak and lap dances. I need to get on Greg about that.

I like the ISAAC concept a lot better than I ever liked the HANS concept. I don't like the HANS slipping out of the belts deal. I've heard too many things about getting stuck in the car for longer periods of time due to the HANS still attached and trying to get out of the car. I like the leave it behind concept, which lead me away from the R3 and the likes. We don't get into head on impacts as often as side impacts so that's another plus for ISAAC. SCCA still lets me run a non SFI H&N restraint. I got a deal on a used one.

I have run it for 2 years, have not "tested" it, but am very comfortable with it on.

HTH

BTW, on the flip side, if I had to run a HANS or not run anything at all, I would run a HANS, as something is still better than nothing.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I find the Hans system to be very unconfrontable for the little bit that I have worn it. I wear it becuase it is what I have available to me. Dave now will not run without it. We bought the HANS device becasue of it's known reliability and we figured that if it is good enough for Pro racing all around the world it is good enough for us. (not defending that this is a logical way you make your decision) There video.. shows the hans failing becasue of the belt slipping off. and was loose enough to fall over the persons shoulder. I would like to see a similiar test with the proper belts and correct tension and see how the number compare then.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

The belts did look loose in the video. I thought maybe impact speed made it look that way.

Anyone have any experience with the hans sliding tethers? Entry / egress seems to be a real issue with the hans.

I bought the ISAAC 3 years ago. I chose it because of the offset impact performance, and because I like the idea of controling the accelleration of the noggin, rather than the position of the noggin as the HANS does.

My 2nd choice would be the HANS, but only if I were forced into 38.1.

Friends that use the HANS have not had any issues with comfort/egress, and one of them did test it.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Oh, alllrigggght, I'll play.

I got an Isaac because Gregg bought me a big fat steak dinner and then later when we went to a "club", he procured a couple lap dances for me...
    Groan. There goes the marketing budget.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    and one of them did test it.
    That is why my friend Dave R. will not drive without it.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

I am also an ISAAC user. As long as I continue to have that choice I will not wear anything else.

I believe it is the safest device currently on the market.

I don't have to worry about my belts coming off.
    I don't have to worry about the device trapping me in the car.
    I don't have to hope that my impact is straight on.
    I also believe in the physics....the longer period of time you have to decelerate the better.

I don't care what "all the pro guys use" because I believe there are other forces at play. Speaking of Forces, John Force lost Eric Medlin in a NASTY accident. He looked at the entire safety package, had other respected professionals in the industry work with him on changes to minimize the likelihood of a repeat tragedy. This is an outspoken man with connections and money. He is obligated to wear a SFI 38.1 device, and he doesn't wear a HANS.

There isn't a F1 driver on the grid that wears an off the shelf HANS. So, they aren't wearing a HANS like you or I would buy. Their head surrounds and seats are very well designed. They are much better supported in offset impacts that most any sedan driver I have ever seen. Their HANS devices are optimized for their head position and seating angle. Their harnesses are also spaced to reduce the likelihood of the harnesses coming off in an impact.

Slight hi-jack. There is an ISAAC Intermediate for sale in the classifieds on this forum. It is for sale because its' owner (me) is taking a hiatus from racing for a couple of years. I hate to see it sit all that time.
    Last edited by Daryl; 10-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Isaac. Numbers are better, mechanics are better, price was competitive, company gives a shit about its customers, no SFI payola/shakedown surcharge.

That an the lap dances.

K

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    Groan. There goes the marketing budget.
    Ooops! Was that supposed to be hush hush> Soooorry!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

***Groan. There goes the marketing budget.***

WHAT, cost of steak to high.....skip the steak.

*** we figured that if it is good enough for Pro racing all around the world it is good enough for us.***

As long as you implement the devises ALL the Pros implement to reduce the side load that the HANS will not reduce anywhere near equal to the Issac.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the hans sliding tethers? Entry / egress seems to be a real issue with the hans.
    I upgraded my HANS to the sliding tethers after 4 years with the quick-release tethers. The bottom line is that they solve a non-issue. The "issue" with the old tethers was that the driver could not turn his head all the way to the side. In practice for a road racer, there's absolutely never a need to turn your head all that far. I believe it was a valid concern for drag racers, who were trying to look over their shoulder to see how far behind their competition was. But I never once noticed the limits in a road race.

Now with the sliding tethers, there's effectively no limit to how far you can turn your head.

As far as egress is concerned, the sliding tethers have no effect, since with the seat belts released, the yoke can move and you can turn your head fully even with the other tethers.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Yeah, what Kirk said.

If you feel the HANS is the best device for you....get quick release tethers so when you are trapped by your headrest/window net/cool suit tube/radio leads or anything else you can quickly release the device from your helmet.

Make certain you have a top quality HANS friendly seat, like a Recaro or Racetech model with side bolsters for your head (probably a good idea no matter which head and neck restraint you choose). Some devices offer a little more offset impact protection than others but you shouldn't rely solely on the head and neck restraint for offset or side impact protection. Especially if you have gone with a HANS.

Once you pop the belts you are free to get out of the car with a hans device. there is no additional attached devices. IF by horrible chance my car was on fire I am pretty sure I wouldn't be worring about ripping any drink tube or radio wire while exiting the car. Which would apply to both systems. The ISAAC seems to need an additional step to egress.

I don't want to contribute to a flame war. I like the idea of the Isaac better with damping and limiting the motion of your nogen. I have never used an Isaac system and can't contribute wihout hear say judgement. Teh majhority of the I am in a car at HDPE/PDX events I am still using the old donut. Once we finsih my IT car I will invest into something better.
    Last edited by quadzjr; 10-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

I got picked at random to do the NASA bail-out test this past February and got out in less than 8 seconds - including undoing my Isaac.

K