Thread: What Head & Neck Restraint System Are You Using and Why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Head & Neck Restraint System Are You Using and Why?

Looking at H&N restraint systems and thought I'd poll those currently being used.

What are you using?
    With what options?
    and
    Why?

Thanks in advance

(I know there was a poll but there wasn't a "why")
    Last edited by Tom Donnelly; 10-22-2008 at 03:19 PM.

I will answer if the thread takes off, but I guarantee you there must be hundreds of posts made on this already if you do a search. It's a topic that gets heated debate regularly.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I searched and found alot of debates about SFI and RSI and black helicopters and even what kind of HNR was used, but not what led to the decision to buy a certain type.

I was kinda hoping for; "I bought an isaac cause...".
    or
    "I sold my isaac and bought a hans cause..".
    or
    "My hutchins strangled my cat..."

Or something like that.

Ok, I looked further and found this link...(and quite a few others)

https://improvedtouring.com...Neck+Restraint

Anybody feel like posting with updates now that its 2 years later?

Oh, alllrigggght, I'll play.

I got an Isaac because Gregg bought me a big fat steak dinner and then later when we went to a "club", he procured a couple lap dances for me...

Not what you wanted, eh?

OK, straight up. I got an Isaac because:
    -It has the best protection from all angles.
    -I have faith in my ability to learn proper removal techniques (pull the pins)
    -It meant that to achieve the same level of protection I didn't have to purchase a "winged seat", and then live with the reduced area to egress should the door become inoperable. To me, the net/net on the Hans/winged sea combo is a loss of safety at increased $ cost. bad ratio.

And finally, I got to keep it because the SCCA allows me to make a call based on critical thinking, and I thank them for that.

Now, idealistically, I did NOT get any of the 38.1 devices because of the SFI business methods, but the last reason above was the one that lets me get all idealistic.

Also, to be honest, I got mine before SCCA even discussed limits on the use. So luck has played a role.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake,

That's what I'm looking for. The isaac video of the hans falling off is kinda swaying me too. I've been reading the links and studying but personal opinions from racers I know or know of are great feedback as well.

And I get lap dances too if I make the same choice, right?

Basically what Jake said, except I didn't get the steak and lap dances. I need to get on Greg about that.

I like the ISAAC concept a lot better than I ever liked the HANS concept. I don't like the HANS slipping out of the belts deal. I've heard too many things about getting stuck in the car for longer periods of time due to the HANS still attached and trying to get out of the car. I like the leave it behind concept, which lead me away from the R3 and the likes. We don't get into head on impacts as often as side impacts so that's another plus for ISAAC. SCCA still lets me run a non SFI H&N restraint. I got a deal on a used one.

I have run it for 2 years, have not "tested" it, but am very comfortable with it on.

HTH

BTW, on the flip side, if I had to run a HANS or not run anything at all, I would run a HANS, as something is still better than nothing.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I find the Hans system to be very unconfrontable for the little bit that I have worn it. I wear it becuase it is what I have available to me. Dave now will not run without it. We bought the HANS device becasue of it's known reliability and we figured that if it is good enough for Pro racing all around the world it is good enough for us. (not defending that this is a logical way you make your decision) There video.. shows the hans failing becasue of the belt slipping off. and was loose enough to fall over the persons shoulder. I would like to see a similiar test with the proper belts and correct tension and see how the number compare then.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Oh, alllrigggght, I'll play.

I got an Isaac because Gregg bought me a big fat steak dinner and then later when we went to a "club", he procured a couple lap dances for me...
    Groan. There goes the marketing budget.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    Groan. There goes the marketing budget.
    Ooops! Was that supposed to be hush hush> Soooorry!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com