Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restart Rules Clarification

Default Restart Rules Clarification

At the October 19th Pro IT race we were under starters orders for the restart. The lead pack of three cars at the front and two lap cars, ITB and SSM 4th and 5th and then my car, ITS.

When the green flag waived for the restart I laid back not being sure that I was able to pass the ITB or SSM cars until I had crossed start finish. Laying back killed my chance at running with the lead pack - these guys were 15-20 car lengths ahead by the time I hit the gas at start/finish and passed the lappers.

My question is - do I have to lay back until I cross start finish or can I blow by these guys the moment the green waives?

On a typcical start - not restart - I pass before start finish when the green waives. That is permitted, correct?

I looked at the GCR but didn't see anything but this entry in 5.5 under the oval track racing rules.

"Cars shall not improve position prior to crossing start/finish line. (Pulling out of line alongside the car in front of you is improving your position.)"

Have at it rules gurus :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

The race is on as soon as the lead car sees the green flag.
    George Bugg
    Huntsville, AL
    ITA CRXsi

Yep, when the green waves it's time to go. Also, if you are further back and can't see the flag itself, watch when the corner workers drop the double yellow - then it's on !!
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by GBugg View Post
    The race is on as soon as the lead car sees the green flag.
    What George said - green means go, wherever you are on track.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Concur. Green means "go, go, go, go, go, go!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Concur. Green means "go, go, go, go, go, go!!!!"

Don't you mean Boogity Boogity Boogity?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Ben, you've probably seen other sanctioning bodies impose the "no passing before the line" rule. I, for one, don't like it. Fortunately, in SCCA, it's all up for grabs when the starter flinches and the green moves.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Ben, you've probably seen other sanctioning bodies impose the "no passing before the line" rule. I, for one, don't like it. Fortunately, in SCCA, it's all up for grabs when the starter flinches and the green moves.
    I normally shift before the flag comes back down for the first "wave"
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

We'll poopity, poopity, poo. I layed back for nothing.

Thanks for the clarification.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post

To many lapping days in the Chebby...not enough racin'...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think that they are changing the rule about cars that drop-out on the pace lap; you can move up in line without being deemed to have passed under the yellow (we all did this anyways).

However, forgetting the cars dropping out scenario, when you see the green (or more precisely, when you see the last corner's yellows being dropped if you are at the blunt end of the grid) it is then pedal to the metal whereever you may be on the track--pass at will.

Thumbs up

I understand the confusion, coming from Europe I was also used to the "no passing before start-finish line" rule.

Thanks for clarifying!
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Does the waving green supercede any double yellows which still maybe be standing.

Example, lets say you are a little further down the pack at a start (ITA for example in an ECR with S and R cars) at Road Atlanta. The Green waves when the lead pack is coming down the hill, but being 10 cars back, you are looking at the worker station on the left after the bridge which still has double yellows. Your crew is on the radio saying "green". What do you do?

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

GO!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Does the waving green supercede any double yellows which still maybe be standing.

Example, lets say you are a little further down the pack at a start (ITA for example in an ECR with S and R cars) at Road Atlanta. The Green waves when the lead pack is coming down the hill, but being 10 cars back, you are looking at the worker station on the left after the bridge which still has double yellows. Your crew is on the radio saying "green". What do you do?

-Tom
    The worker radio net is "supposed" to tell all stations to drop the double yellow when the green is shown, obviously there is going to be a little delay due to two sets of human reaction times, but it's better than nothing if you're so far back you can't see the starter and you don't have a radio.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    No.

Consider the possibility where you're deep in the pack, the green waves, and somewhere mid-pack ahead of you a couple of Spec'ers get together and spin...
    Your crew is on the radio saying "green". What do you do?
    Though the probability is that, as Ed describes, the workers are just slow to drop the double, your safest and most conservative move is to follow the direction of the local flags. You eliminate the risk of a possible problem ahead, or that the workers may be both slow to drop *and* quick to notice the PUY...

Always follow the directives of the locals. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No.

Consider the possibility where you're deep in the pack, the green waves, and somewhere mid-pack ahead of you a couple of Spec'ers get together and spin...
    Greg, you are going to want to stab me, but at that point it wouldn't be a standing double yellow...
    Last edited by CRallo; 10-21-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post

Ben,
    If you have radio's and your crew chief is yelling go go go, even if you can't see the flag, kick it in the ass and start passing.

GCR 6.2.2.G (highlights mine):

"Upon determining that the approaching field is at a constant slow speed, well bunched and in line, and close enough that the majority of the drivers can see the flag, the Starter shall suddenly and continuously wave the green flag, until all cars have passed the start line. The race shall be under way throughout the field at the instant the green flag is waved and passing may occur at any point, within reasonable safety standards."

But you're right, there's nothing in the GCR that is as explicit about restarts.
    Last edited by JoshS; 10-21-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    Greg, you are going to want to stab me, but at that point it wouldn't be a standing double yellow...
    No, that's certainly a valid point, but...do you want to risk 5 points on your license from a corner worker calling in that you passed while they were holding up a double yellow, versus the advantage of using your ITS car to pass a Rabbit Gti for one spot?

I most assuredly start "boogity, boogity, boogity-ing" as soon as Matt yells "green, green, green", but I just can't see passing someone under The Bridge with a double-yellow still held up at the bottom of the Downhill...just sayin'...