Thread: E36 thoughts? (man!, not much traffic here)...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E36 thoughts? (man!, not much traffic here)...

Kinda considering a 92-96 E36 325 for a next race car (have a fully prepped ITA car now). Is this a good choice or is there better? Would it be better to run a 328? or? If I build a new one, it will be an E36 something, but not sure which one, or what class, or what years to get/avoid.... advice?

One thing to remember about the M-50 motored 325 is that the intake manifold is the envy of all the later M/S-52 motors. In the case of the S-52, a M-50 manifold swap will gain ~15-20hp alone. The later manifolds have narrower runners, and because they're ABS plastic can't be port matched, so they definetly don't have the gains that the M-50's see. So, if you found a good doner go for it.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Is the later manifold on the same spec line as the earlier M50?? If so, i presume the M50 motor is inferior to the later motor, but the earlier manifold superior?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'll let the BMW guys confirm, but I think that is the case. The M50 and S50 were the 2.5 OBDI and 3.0 OBDI motors that went in the early E36 325s and the 95 M3. The M52 was an OBDII 2.5 and the S52 OBDII 3.2 in the M3/Roadster/Coupe.

I THINK all of the E36 325s are on the same spec line, allowing use of the early manifold on all cars.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We have 6 of them at our local series, and they are all fast and in different trims.
    Should be a fun car, and it is well supported.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

A "manifold" is an "assembly...?"

Bzzzt. Wrong.

"Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system, differential/axle housing)..." (2008 GCR, emphasis mine)

If the rest of the "induction system" is IDENTICAL, then you're OK, but that seems pretty unlikely in this case. You can use the entire OBDI sytem or the entire OBDII system (ignoring the detail distinctions between/among versions for the sake of this argument) but you cannot cherry pick individual parts.

K

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I'll let the BMW guys confirm, but I think that is the case. The M50 and S50 were the 2.5 OBDI and 3.0 OBDI motors that went in the early E36 325s and the 95 M3. The M52 was an OBDII 2.5 and the S52 OBDII 3.2 in the M3/Roadster/Coupe.

I THINK all of the E36 325s are on the same spec line, allowing use of the early manifold on all cars.
    If you have a 328, Z3 you better NOT have a M50 Manifold!

Dan, if I wasn't clear, I meant 325s only.

Kirk, I agree -- I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the entire OBDI induction system including the manifold (the plenum, etc.) would transfer over. In fact, I suspect it HAS to to use the M50 manifold. Since ECU is now free, shouldn't be an OBDI/II issue with the rest of the harness, etc.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    If you have a 328, Z3 you better NOT have a M50 Manifold!
    Alright Dan, if you want the M-50 manifold sitting on my garage floor, I'll sell it to you
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Kinda considering a 92-96 E36 325 for a next race car (have a fully prepped ITA car now). Is this a good choice or is there better? Would it be better to run a 328? or? If I build a new one, it will be an E36 something, but not sure which one, or what class, or what years to get/avoid.... advice?

Stright answer...
    E36 325 (92-95) in ITS is handicapped by that POS inlet restrictor. Still competitive but a lot of work to make it a winning car. If considering ITR choose the 328 (96+) as its minimum weight is only marginally more than the 325. If the proposed VIN delete rule becomes reality the you can use any of the E36 chasis and choose the 2.5 or 2.8 liter variants. 2-door or 4-door doesn't matter.

email me off line and I'll share more and not try to sell you my car.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Item 1. Effective 1/1/09, change section 9.1.3.C by deleting the fifth paragraph as follows:

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) shall correspond with the automobile classified, and will determine the model and type for competition purposes. A minimum of two (2) VIN plates and/or stampings is required.
    http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...strack-oct.pdf

K

Quote Originally Posted by ed325its View Post
    Stright answer...
    E36 325 (92-95) in ITS is handicapped by that POS inlet restrictor. Still competitive but a lot of work to make it a winning car. If considering ITR choose the 328 (96+) as its minimum weight is only marginally more than the 325. If the proposed VIN delete rule becomes reality the you can use any of the E36 chasis and choose the 2.5 or 2.8 liter variants. 2-door or 4-door doesn't matter.

email me off line and I'll share more and not try to sell you my car.
    Thank god, a real reply! What's the hot ticket in ITS these days? I like the bimmers and always wanted one, which is why I was thinking that direction. I'm not in any huge hurry, just interested. If the right donor street car comes along, I'll snag it, thanks for the info. I'm not sure SCCA is the end all it used to be for me, so BMW or NASA or some other club might be an option too. I want to build one, because that's what I do... Racing is fun, and I'm pretty good at it, but knowing I built the car that's going fast under me is the fun bit. Besides, my tig welder and machine shop gotta get used for something!

Thanks....

ITS? Only one option. TR8. Well, maybe Jensen-Healey.

Seriously, ITS is a great class right now and the 325 can be competitive. Yes it takes work but so do all front running S cars.

Right now, I'd say, the Miata, the E46 323, the 2nd Gen RX7, the 240/260/280z, the 280zx, the 300zx, the 944s, the Integra GSR and the TR8 all have a shot at winning.

The Miata, RX7 and 240z are probably the most reliable/most easy to build and develop, with the 325 right behind if you can sort the SIR.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff is right about the competitiveness of ITS cars currently. If I were to build a BMW for ITS I would suggest the E46 323; 2.5l, dual vanos, no SIR, bigger brakes, and only 150lbs. more weight compared to the E36.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984