Thread: oil cooler maybe ?

Default oil cooler maybe ?

I have a problem that maybe a vw guru can help me with. I have a 85 gti with an oil cooler with an extra hose coming out of it. When I bought the car it was pluged the car ran with no problems till the motor passed on to the vw gods. Bad rings. Now i have a newer motor same set up but I am building enough oil pressure for it to blow the hoses off the top of the valve cover. So I took the plug out an ran it with out the plug in my garage no problems. IS there a vent or a filter I should have there ( near oil cooler) if so where do you get one? So if anybody could shed some light on the subject that would help.

Not sure what you are talking about. It sounds like two things. Does the engine need to breath? Yes, the 85 golf has a breather hose tied into the intake. One option would be to run the breather into a remote catch tank and plug the inlet where the breather connected to the intake system.

Oil cooler hose? The 85 golf would have had a sandwich oil cooler/ preheater. The oil passages are internal. You need to have coolant circulating through it for it to be affective. They were tied into the engine cooling bypass system. Blocking off one of the hoses rubber hoses should not cause a breather hose to pop off the valve cover, but would deminish any cooling affect.

Perhaps a picture?

Default Engine Venting

I've always had both a head and block breather setup. Valve cover breather is pretty easy, the block breather, is a setup on the block off plate for the mechanical fuel pump, with a NTP 1/2" fitting that also runs to the same overflow/breather tank.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Yeah, if you're blowing a hose off the top of the valve cover, that sounds like a breather hose, which indicates a breathing problem and/or excessive blowby. Certainly with a rebuilt engine, not broken in, you'll have more blowby till the rings seat. I had problems on two engines after rebuilds not breathing properly, and blowing oil out seals... in one case, a breather element was blocked, in the other on my IT car, the hose was there, but was bent in such a way as to kink and block the breathing - DOH!

So I'd suspect you have a breathing problem, from what you describe...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

thank you for the answers I will try to post a pic this weekend and shed some more lite on the subject for all to answer! Im not sure what to do still VW stupid audi still not so smart but trying