Thread: Radiators and Cooling

Default Radiators and Cooling

After finally losing an apex seal in my IT7 Mazda in the first 10 minutes of this season I am looking for a better radiator system. I currenltly have the 81 style over/under water/oil cooler system using the extra row oil cooler.

I am curious as to what others are doing and what is the most effective. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance.

After always being on the edge with new OEM radiators I bought the ISC version aluminum radiator. I am very happy with it only seeing high temps in when tucked right up under someone for multiple laps. ISC converts a standard alum ran into a double cross flow. With their reduction in serving the first gen community I don’t if they are still making them.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I also run the ISC aluminum radiator. It does a great job, runs about 10-15 degrees cooler than the OEM radiator I had on my car. I'm pretty sure ISC is still selling them. If they dont have any more I'm sure mike could get one for you, its a custom made radiator by HOWE racing radiators.

It's still listed on their website:
    http://www.iscracing.net/1stgenparts.htm
    Jeff Ryan
    SeDiv IT-7 #47
    Buccaneer Region Driver of the Year
    '07 SARRC Champion
    '07-08 ARRC IT-7 Champion

ISC still sells them. I bought one a couple of months ago. He also has a new BIG oil cooler that will help keep engine temps lower. Duct the radiator so NO air can escape around it.

Paul Pineider
    ITA 05 (Soudiv)

Thanks, guys, for all your help! I think I got the picture now. You saved me a lot of trouble.

Jim

Jim,

I used the stock framework of the long rad, and had a rad shop build me a rad that was thicker, three row, and we moved the top outlet to the other side, so it became a cross flow. I just ran a hose from the left side to the right intake on the pump at the top. I then moved the oil cooler in front. Worked great until I hit a wall head on at about 80 mph.
    G. Brooke Carter
    Prime Meridian Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Don't be shy Brooke- You made the jumbotron.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Streetwise guy; 11-03-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Yeah, the JumboTron.....

Anyway, now I'm looking for a new rad, and don't want to spend $500.00.

Any more thoughts on Aluminum rads guys?

B
    G. Brooke Carter
    Prime Meridian Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Jim, talk with the other Dave D. If I remember correctly he has a sketch of the radiator Howe made for him. Double flow, gauge holes & evrything as needed.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

When I needed a radiator for the Jensen (RIP) I couldn't call up JensenWorld.

I did find that the best bargain in aluminum radiators was with the Circle track guys. They have high quality ally radiators in all shapes and sizes. Get a roundy roundy catalog like Southwest speed (those guys are not the cheapest, just a good starting place) and so on and then find one that matches your needed dimensions. You will have to make brackets for it but the price is right. I spent around $205 for a new aluminum radiator that was 26" wide, 18" tall, and about 3" thick, good for 600+hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    When I needed a radiator for the Jensen (RIP) I couldn't call up JensenWorld.

Really? Must be because they use Lucas phones!

Ha ha!!!.....I KILL myself!! I'll be here thru Friday, Tip the waiters and waitresses!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    Jim, talk with the other Dave D. If I remember correctly he has a sketch of the radiator Howe made for him. Double flow, gauge holes & evrything as needed.

I am not "the other Dave D". I am THE Dave D.

And yes, I have a drawing of my radiator. I think Jim has it also. Radiator works fine with the EP motor also. The thing would probably keep Jake's avatar cool........

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Damouth View Post
    I am not "the other Dave D". I am THE Dave D.

And yes, I have a drawing of my radiator. I think Jim has it also. Radiator works fine with the EP motor also. The thing would probably keep Jake's avatar cool........
    LOL

I dunno Dave, she looks as though she might be feeling a bit of a chill already...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

When we switched the board over people were having truoble with avatars and saying they didn't work. I tossed that up and the response was "YUP! THEY WORK!"

Everytime I mention I should take it down, I get teh impression it's not a popular idea.....:confused:
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    When we switched the board over people were having truoble with avatars and saying they didn't work. I tossed that up and the response was "YUP! THEY WORK!"

Everytime I mention I should take it down, I get teh impression it's not a popular idea.....:confused:
    It seems like every time my wife looks over my shoulder while I'm on it.com there's a message from Jake on the screen. The reaction is usually "Who's Jake and how do you know her"!
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)