Thread: Kill switch mandatory?

Default Kill switch mandatory?

This is likely a silly question (though I have skimmed the GCR), but is it mandatory to have a kill switch for IT? We have an old SSC car that we plan to convert to ITB, thought about running it in an upcoming Regional "as is" except for class designation to get a jump on next year. Don't have time to add the switch beforehand.

thks

GCR 9.3.33 All cars except Showroom Stock and Touring....

I suspose you could talk to your local tech guy and get a fix by next race pass.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

***GCR 9.3.33 All cars except Showroom Stock and Touring....

I suspose you could talk to your local tech guy and get a fix by next race pass.***

Aged racer:

From my perspective the shutoff switch is a safety issue which should not be given a pass...........
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I suspose you could talk to your local tech guy and get a fix by next race pass.

Nothing personal, James, but it makes me nuts when I see this.

The fact is that a scrutineer does not have the authority to issue any kind of waiver to allow a car on track that does not meet the rules. Only the chief steward at the event can do that.

That said, the CS will *usually* go with the recommendation chief of tech on an item such as this, and if a car such as this came to a race where I was chief I would undoubtedly make such a recommendation to the CS. I would probably also recommend that the CS notify the flag chief, so he could pass that info on to his corner captains.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

But the chief steward has the ability to delegate authority. He can allow tech to make the call on small items.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

For one race, why not just run SSC? Most of the time they run with ITB anyway.
    jerry monaghan

Do not show up and expect to get a waiver. After some very public problems at a race where cars were sent home, the executive stewards sent out a mandate that no more waivers be granted. Total crock but it is the current situation. Run SS or get one mounted.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

David, if it's such a critical safety item then why are SS and T given a pass, even when they run the same group as IT? You'd agree that it should be mandatory for all cars no matter class or category.

Ty, as long as we don't start slinging monkey poo I won't take it personal Sorry I got pricked a nerve. My experience was with the fuel test port, which I know isn't a safety item but is just as mandatory none the less. I thought I might have a factory one hiding somewhere, which I now know I didn't.

Steve obviously know whats going on in your region, so looks like the fix-by-next-race option is out. Good luck finding and mounting one before the race.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?t=9238

But be warned...it would probably be less painful to just poke your eyes out now
    jerry monaghan

Hey, y'all, didn't mean to start a brawl. We've run the car for years as SSC, will start the ITB conversion this winter. There's one more event in a couple weeks that counts for next year's points, so I was toying with the idea of changing classes now.

That said, given the comments I'll ditch the idea. I would not go to a race and count on a waiver- the Tech guys have enough to do without me putting them on the spot for a favor (and I don't have time to add the kill switch in the meantime).

thks all- Steve

I think the reason SS & IT get a pass is that they need to keep the battery in the stock location. It's not as easy to figure out a place to mount a power shutoff switch when the battery is under the hood. I, as a driver, want to be able to shut the power off as well as a corner worker but I also don't want to have to run all that extra cable from the battery to inside the car and then back out.

Personally I don't see why IT isn't allowed to relocate the battery. With all the other things that you are allowed to do to the car the fact that you can't relocate the battery is strange?
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Aged Racer is it that big of a deal to add the switch ? How much time could it take ?

***David, if it's such a critical safety item***

James, three comments for you & a thought.

A. I said the cut off switch is a safety item.......... As where it's listed in the ITCS. You say its a "critical safety item."

B. Some people don't feel it's required to repair crash damage.

C. Some people don't feel it's required to leave the heater core in an IT race car.

If we add up all the items (not just these three items) that people feel are not required for IT race cars we will have Production class race cars. Or maybe by time the list is complete we'll have GT class race cars. IMHJ You (& others) arguing that a pass on a cut off switch (listed as a safety item) is ok is just like the Production car people arguing that Production class race cars should only be required to have a roll bar rather than a roll cage because that's al that open wheel cars are required to have. If you want to argue/compare IT rules to other car class rules write letters of change to the CRB because arguing/comparing on the site will get you NOTHING.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

For many people on this forum, it's probably a quick job to install a kill switch. I'm a little slower, have only done one on my Spec Miata and it was a complete kit with directions.

I've got all winter to do it right, best just to wait.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by slopok View Post
    Aged Racer is it that big of a deal to add the switch ? How much time could it take ?
    For many people on this forum, it's probably a quick job to install a kill switch. I'm a little slower, have only done one on my Spec Miata and it was a complete kit with directions.

I've got all winter to do it right, best just to wait.

Steve