Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIR -- What the Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Mark, I enjoy seeing the Prod cars come out and think the Prod Fest is a good thing. But you have to remember this is a regional weekend, and in my (humble) opinion regional classes should be the focus. Lopping off one IT class to run with SRF and SM to make this work.....well, I respect the decision of NCR leadership (they are all good folks) but it gives me serious pause about running the race with that group. I'm sure you understand the reasons why.

That said, I've asked for a split start for ITS cars and if we get it, I'll be fine with the situation. The problem is when this happened in May, we were told to wait to ask for teh split start on race day, and every ITS driver present did so. We were then told we had waited too long.

I have no idea why there are two ECRs and a Cup race this weekend. I agree it is a lot of racing on a two day weekend. I also don't think the appropriate solution is to take one IT group -- admittedly mine -- and stick them in with SRFs and SMs. But so it goes.
    Hi Jeff,

Please let me know if I can help at all with getting a split start. I am friends with some of the NCR "management" and have a good relationship with most stewards, so with whatever little influence I have I'll be happy to help.

Stop by and say hi during the weekend, we'll be the ones with about a hundred people around our trailer on Sat. night (Prod Party).

Mark

#14 FP VW Scirocco

Mark, I enjoy seeing the Prod cars come out and think the Prod Fest is a good thing. But you have to remember this is a regional weekend, and in my (humble) opinion regional classes should be the focus. Lopping off one IT class to run with SRF and SM to make this work.....well, I respect the decision of NCR leadership (they are all good folks) but it gives me serious pause about running the race with that group. I'm sure you understand the reasons why.

That said, I've asked for a split start for ITS cars and if we get it, I'll be fine with the situation. The problem is when this happened in May, we were told to wait to ask for teh split start on race day, and every ITS driver present did so. We were then told we had waited too long.

I have no idea why there are two ECRs and a Cup race this weekend. I agree it is a lot of racing on a two day weekend. I also don't think the appropriate solution is to take one IT group -- admittedly mine -- and stick them in with SRFs and SMs. But so it goes.
    Production cars are regional as well Jeff. I can also tell you after chairing a few races this year that you should be glad those extra races are added to the weekend. Otherwise you would be paying quite as bit more for your share of track time. Work with the system and get the stewards to allow a split start. VIR is a big enough track we should all string out enough to have good racing.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I agree 100% -- split start is the way to go and solves "my" problem. The issue is making sure it happens since last time was a cluster.

Can I put you down as one of the ITS guys who wants a split start?

Thanks Steve.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I don't have a dog in this fight but I've come to believe that - contrary to what we often do - it's better to mix classes that have substantially different lap times, rather than similar ones, if they are fundamentally different kinds of cars.

Jeff's point about the SRF's having similar lap times but getting there differently is a good example of why putting the spec racers with SLOWER IT cars might be better than putting them with FASTER ones. The SIC answer went as smoothly as any of those mis-matched groups I've ever seen. Of course, the SRF's are a pretty homogenous group, in terms of lap times. The ITS cars at the Festival were a very different thing, for example.

K

I agree 100% -- split start is the way to go and solves "my" problem. The issue is making sure it happens since last time was a cluster.
    Jeff,

... Since the schedule came out so late, I had already planned on not running my ITR car because of last May. I just have a hard time running with those guys. Not that they are dangerous or anything, but, their cornering speeds are higher than mine, and they are slower in the straights. Makes it hard to get away, and stay away. Sort of like running with the SM crowd in an ITA car.

... I know that my class is not in that group but, I can speak from experience because of last May. And I am not very optimistic about a split start because of the results we got last time.

.... But maybe they will do it this time...Hope So

.... Rickey T.
    Last edited by Hotshoe; 10-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight but I've come to believe that - contrary to what we often do - it's better to mix classes that have substantially different lap times, rather than similar ones, if they are fundamentally different kinds of cars.

Jeff's point about the SRF's having similar lap times but getting there differently is a good example of why putting the spec racers with SLOWER IT cars might be better than putting them with FASTER ones. The SIC answer went as smoothly as any of those mis-matched groups I've ever seen. Of course, the SRF's are a pretty homogenous group, in terms of lap times. The ITS cars at the Festival were a very different thing, for example.

K
    Kirk,

You make a very good point! Although, in my opinion there are at actually three different types of potential "problems" when I look at who I'm running with.

1) Similar times, but in different places -- When one is faster in the straights and the other in the corners, they are constantly in each others way.

2) Significantly different times -- Cars may be different in the corners, but I believe the *big* differences come down to top speed. This results in very high closing rates at the end of long straights, like T1 and T14 at VIR.

3) Different driving "styles" -- This seems to be the one that gets people riled up the most. I'm not going to point fingers or say it needs to change. We are what we are for very good reasons. There are some classes with very high subscription numbers that have spec cars. Most are very close in performance. With relatively fewer opportunities to pass and a ton of cars to try to get by or stay ahead of, you learn to take advantage of the chances you get. Other classes can afford to be more patient and may think twice before sticking their nose in somewhere.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mix any of these groups during a weekend. Unfortunately, our world is imperfect and there aren't enough hours of daylight to do that.

The major growth in Regional racing over the last 10 years seems to have been in IT and SM. Production numbers are dwindling, but many/most of these guys and gals have been at it for a long time and have helped make our club what it is. I think it's wonderful that NC Region and VIR do this for them once every year. If that places one of the "problem" classes in with me I can deal with it. (And it doesn't in this case, but I do face this issue in ECRs and CCPS. I don't necessarily look forward to it, but I do run those races)

There are Prod drivers coming from as far away as California, and there are going to be a lot of them. Let them have their party. They earned it!
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

Mark, thanks for the note. I've been in touch with Sara, Ginny and Glenn and they are working with us (as they always do, good folk) on the split start.

I'll stop by and have a beer with you crazy slick shod prod guys Saturday night....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Wow I hate to hear that we are running with the Spec Racer Fords again.....

I'll be driving my brother's car at VIR like I did last year.....I had
    to run with them then and it was a major pain.....

My problem is I haven't had a lot of seat time in the last two years so I
    don't really push the car as hard as Steve does.....that REALLY causes
    a problem with the Spec's because I can't get away from them and they
    can't get away from me......

I pull them down the straight but then they dive bomb me thru the corners....

THIS SUCKS !!!!!

Hey Jeff I will also petition the stewarts for a separate group or a split
    start ......can you email me the contacts....

[email protected]

Bryan Parrish

Anyone know how many Z cars are running the ECR's? Might have to make a trip up.

We will probably not run the ECR. Just he SARRC and CCPS. Hope to see you there anyway...
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I think Greg & his brother are running as well as Charles Perry. Not sure if they are running ECR's or SARRC.

Robert Mitchell and I get a shot at the ECR in Ron's Z, so one 260z there.

Steve, call me when you get a minute, I misplaced your number.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Arrow

ITS has been moved to Group 7 for the Goblin's Go race - please help spread the word to ITS racers so that they are not caught off guard if planning for the weekend.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    We will probably not run the ECR. Just he SARRC and CCPS. Hope to see you there anyway...
    Too many Z cars not to come! Guy running the EP 240Z & Mike Unger in his sweet looking vintage 240Z in EP! Greg running with Guy in the ITS 240Z in the ECR's. Spillman running his own 240Z as well as running with Mike M. in Mikes 260Z plus Charles Perry's 280ZX in ITS. Parrish brothers 240Z, Ron Earp 260Z & Chris Plucker 280Z, Juan Delgado 280Z & Jay Miller 280Z..... Might be the biggest turnout of Z's in a while!

It would be sooo cool to get all of the Z Cars together for a photo... Maybe Saturday after all of the racing is done?

Quote Originally Posted by jmark View Post
    Too many Z cars not to come! Guy running the EP 240Z & Mike Unger in his sweet looking vintage 240Z in EP! Greg running with Guy in the ITS 240Z in the ECR's. Spillman running his own 240Z as well as running with Mike M. in Mikes 260Z plus Charles Perry's 280ZX in ITS. Parrish brothers 240Z, Ron Earp 260Z & Chris Plucker 280Z, Juan Delgado 280Z & Jay Miller 280Z..... Might be the biggest turnout of Z's in a while!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Lightbulb

Let's do it. Ron M. is a good photographer and will be there at the track, I bet he'd help out.

R

PRESS RELEASE: We will have an All ITS Triumph photo at my paddock spot Saturday at 5. Get there early, I'm expecting enough cars that parking will be a problem.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    It would be sooo cool to get all of the Z Cars together for a photo... Maybe Saturday after all of the racing is done?
    I am willing to shot it Steve.

Why would you think an SRF would hit you?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAu6KdjVoY[/ame]

Took a ton of Z car shots. Let me know what you think.