Thread: VIR -- What the Hell?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marlboro Mafia View Post
    Why would you think an SRF would hit you?
    That is pretty sad. Where was he expecting the miata to go?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    That is pretty sad. Where was he expecting the miata to go?
    From my experience with many SRFs (and being hit by one this weekend in the rear entering roller coaster) they expect you to disappear and leave the track to them. Except on the straights, and they let will allow you for drafting effect, just make sure you disappear again everywhere else.

Guy (SRF) comes from TWO cars back to divebomb BOTH cars on a short straight leading to a hard braking zone at the first or second slowest corner on the track. NICE.

By the way, those two SMs were running I think 4th and 5th while the SRF was 10ish. NICE again.

Man I wish that they had left us (ITS) in that group!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

What... no pics of the Honda that out qualified most of the Z's (in the rain) only to miss shift 1 and drop to the back of the pack in the race (btw, thanks to everyone for missing me!)?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Guy (SRF) comes from TWO cars back to divebomb BOTH cars on a short straight leading to a hard braking zone at the first or second slowest corner on the track. NICE.

By the way, those two SMs were running I think 4th and 5th while the SRF was 10ish. NICE again.

Man I wish that they had left us (ITS) in that group!
    I actually got the opportunity to drive a SRF last weekend, and I can honestly say they require a LOT of track time to master (well more than the 4 or 5 laps I had in the car). They have extreemly close ratio steering, excellent braking and awesome throttle response. Not to mention the open wheel thing.

Since most of my the setup advice I received was "take care of it, we need it in the 13 hour race" I just drove gingerly for the few laps I had in the car... trying to absorb all of the above information. However, I will tell you that BMW looked like a Semi Truck coming at me!

hoop
    Last edited by iambhooper; 11-01-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    I actually got the opportunity to drive a SRF last weekend, and I can honestly say they require a LOT of track time to master (well more than the 4 or 5 laps I had in the car). They have extreemly close ratio steering, excellent braking and awesome throttle response. Not to mention the open wheel thing.
    SRF's are sports racers. Non-production-based, yes; open wheel, no.

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    What... no pics of the Honda that out qualified most of the Z's (in the rain) only to miss shift 1 and drop to the back of the pack in the race (btw, thanks to everyone for missing me!)?

I actually got the opportunity to drive a SRF last weekend, and I can honestly say they require a LOT of track time to master (well more than the 4 or 5 laps I had in the car). They have extreemly close ratio steering, excellent braking and awesome throttle response.

hoop
    Imagine your first drive in one that you found later (as you decided SOMETHING was odd) had a shot tie rod, AND a shot rear toe link. Man, quick ratio steering and variable toe at both ends! The thing wanted to spin on the straight! Quite the introduction...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Imagine your first drive in one that you found later (as you decided SOMETHING was odd) had a shot tie rod, AND a shot rear toe link. Man, quick ratio steering and variable toe at both ends! The thing wanted to spin on the straight! Quite the introduction...
    man that had to suck. they are tough enough to drive as is. so did you take one lap and park it? the car i drove was profesionally maintained and one of the most competetive cars in the SE... of course, i quickly turned it into an ITC ride
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie