Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more aluminum drums for 240/260/280z cars

I believe the rumor is Kent and Ralph are building one, unconfirmed though.

Bowie Gray is as well, but his will not be ready until next March.

Steve E. I'm pretty sure was a new RX7 but he's always full of surprises......
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post
    Thought I read somewhere Steve E. was readying a Miata??

What ya driving Steve?
    Good to see you post big guy!! I picked up an ITS RX7 that is in need of some serious TLC. Doing the driveline first before VIR and plan to run the 13 hour. After that we will give it the full treatment over the winter. I just missed running with you guys. Don't know how fast we will be. The Miotter is an SM and should be done for next year.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

If you get the CRB to let you use something other that what came on the car. Let me know, becouse I have not been able to get rear drums or front rotors for mine RX3 for the last 4 years. I may have I shot at getting something also.

I know a 240 can still run up front but I just dont have the resources to put together a full build on one. My car needs a ton to run up front and I am not sure its worth the effort since i have 2 other IT cars. Its probably going to land somewhere between a IT car and prod car. It would probably make more sense to sell it but I just couldnt....

If there is no replacement part for the 240z drum, is a viable alternative a drum that fits from another manufacturer? One that has approximately the same dimensions and is not a performance enhancement?

I have quite a bit invested in my 240 over the years, and I have several sets of the aluminum rear drums. But they won't last forever. And 5 pounds of unsprung weight is a difference. And if the steel ones go away too, I'd like to be able to stay in IT, not go play in vintage (expensive) or in EP (expensive).

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that the older Toyota finned drums, like on a 4wd are close. That may not be true, I'm just using that as an example.

What are the options one should address to the CRB?

Tom

It'd technically be illegal. I'd never protest you though.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Frankly, the best bet would be for some enterprising individual to send one of the few remaining new examples to a manufacturer offshore, and find out what it would cost to cast 1000 of them. You might be surprised...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    ...What are the options one should address to the CRB?

Tom
    You can ask for anything you want but I'll warn you so you won't be too disappointed: The ITAC is "disinclined" to recommend specific make/model allowances of this type. Your best bet is to find a new source for parts that are true equivalents (dimensions, material, etc.).

K

Another option, resurface old drums via hardfacing or replacing the inner.

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    Another option, resurface old drums via hardfacing or replacing the inner.
    I'd wondered the same thing, what about flame spray or some other method to build up the existing inner liner? Build it up until it is too small, then turn to proper diameter.

I don't think I'd be up for replacing the liner. I can just imagine the liner spinning in the drum when it got hot. :eek:
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Wasn't there some special consideration for the Olds Acheiva at one point? Different hubs or something? Or some kind of cam for the VW's? How does one get things like that through?

And what offshore manufactures would you suggest? I would have no idea where to look. I have an untouched set of aluminum drums still in the box that could be used as a template or something. Where do you get started and would anyone else want in on this?

Maybe I could get my E88 and E31 heads replicated too?

Under current protocols, I *think* that the ITAC is very unlikely to recommend anything like those examples. In fact, we've talked about taking those "line item" exceptions out of the books for the very reason that they might be perceived as setting precedents that we aren't able to follow at this point but it's challenging to take back something that's made it into the rules.

(Remember that any opinions expressed on stuff like this are mine alone. The only official ITAC position is that represented by recommendations to the BoD.)

In terms of solutions to the manufacturing question, I'd start with a local machine shop. Or look in your nearest actual city for someone that does "metal casting," and work from there. If you're talking about non-ferrous parts (AL alloy drums rather than cast FE), there are some new technologies emerging that speed the design-to-production cycle.

http://www.zcorp.com/Solutions/Casti...lds/spage.aspx

This might be a good project for a consortium of Z-car enthusiasts to pursue. Certainly, the street car market can't be too far behind you guys, in terms of needing parts. It's possible to build a 1969 Camaro out of new parts nowadays, so if the volume is there to support it, there are probably answers.

Remember that, as harsh as it sounds, the Club has no obligation to make it cheap to race whatever each of us might choose to drive. Your solution might be spendy but it's out there.

K

Thanks for the leads. I appreciate the disclaimer too. Otherwise I'd blame you Kirk!
    (Just kidding).

The street market would probably lean towards disc replacement rather that aluminum drums, more bang for your buck I'd think.

I think I'll swap to the discs in the rear and put a cardboard replica of an aluminum drum over the rotors to hide the swap. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Kirk, like tom said, the zcar market is full of rear disc upgrade options. Oddly most zcar street guys feel compelled to replace there drums almost immediatly. I think they are percieved as being really weak. I think there is even a really cheap (junk yard parts) easy (bolts right up) upgrade from a 240sx or something. Plus it is really popular to put V8s in them and then they really do need so more whoo power.
    Tom, I would be interested in buying a bunch or participating in trying to have a batch cast.

FWIW, my sources have indicated that Brembo is actively seeking a new vendor to build the drums. At least one firm is actively pursuing offshore production of Z drums in aluminum but it may be a few months before production can begin. They are talking multi-thousand needed to reach the break even point.

If anyone is completely out, I found a vendor with New Old Stock and bought 2 drums. IF they are in fact Brembo when they arrive and are aluminum as promised, I will post up the vendor link here. BTW, I did not pay the $170+ that we are seeing on Ebay.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I'll post what kind of prices I get when I find out. I ordered some drums from a vendor as well that said they are aluminum brembos but I have my doubts. Paul, I hope you found something!

In the meantime, i'm offering cardboard replicas for just 19.95! Slips right over your disc conversion, slices, dices and makes julian fries for only $19.95. And I'll throw in a bass-omatic.

Default Fwiw...

PArts America still has Beck Arnley aluminum drums listed online at ~$125. I don't know if they actually have them or not, but past experience says that if they have them listed they probably do.

Are the Brembo drums any better? I've always bought mine from NAPA; we get a pretty good discount there (up to 60%!) through work. The drums come in a plain white box so I don't know who makes 'em.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Beck Arnley = Brembo in this case. I tried to order from PA and "not in stock" even though they were listed online.
    I also tried from the Advance Auto Parts (PA "storefront") and they list them as NLA.

It is my hunch that the vendor making them under license from Brembo, also made the same drum for "no-name" brands. At least that is what I assumed.
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

OK, my drums made it in and they are Brembo, NIB, aluminum drums. I am set for a while now.

I said I would post the vendor and here they are Motorsport Auto, aka MSA:
    http://www.thezstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?

Get them while you can I have 2 new, 2 lightly used, and several well used drums on hand now.

IIRC, the price was $90.?? ea so about $180 for a pair. Much cheaper than $349 on the auction site.
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Paul,

Thanks! Got my drums. Should be set for a few years anyway.

Tom