Thread: Door Opening "X" Bars as Side Protection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As an EX-circle tracker, I've had my share of T-bones & got hurt several times. And those were less than 60mph. Turn 1 at Sebring is a blind, 100mph turn. We built as strong door bars as we could. You can't see from the pics, but there are as many triangles in the bars as could get. All three horizonals are bent different. And the center bar will HOPEFULLY deflect front bumpers down. As with any cage, you can find a weak point with mine. If you see something that we overlooked, please let me know. When people talk about the cage adding weight, consider this..... my car is just 50lbs over the minimuim WITH 3/4 tank of gas (stock) & the spare tire still in the trunk. I'm glad that Richie is OK. But I'm supprised that no-one has gotten hurt because of building to the rules. If you can just open your door & STEP into your seat, IMO you don't have enough protection. I'm more worried about WALKING away from a crash than walking away with a placque. Sorry about the soapbox, but we just had this talk at our district meeting recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)