Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Door Opening "X" Bars as Side Protection

Add some temple bars, the A pillar bars as suggested above, (nevermind the windshield corner gussets as I didn't notice them til just now), get rid of the knee bar and move it up into the dash, preferably above the steering column, but that's not always possible. Add a 7th point to protect your feet.

Personally, on the door gussets- good idea, but I like to keep them on the outside of the tube. Lessens the "can opener" effect. In other words, I'd have made them about .5" larger all the way around and have them on the outside of the bars pushing inwards in an impact.

Just noticed the harness bar.... looks way too low for proper harness angle... but there's no seat so it's hard to tell.
    Last edited by Speed Raycer; 11-05-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Steve, Your idea is probably the best idea using both styles of bars. Alternatively, maybe something like this to retain the window and gusset the X:

The darker blue bar would be bent out to deal with those pesky miata's. The lighter blue would be tubes forming a box of the existing joint. You could then plate that "box"
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs