Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October is out...

So, the Saturn SL2 is classed in FP (prep level 1), but with 15X6 wheels and 9.5:1 compression. Hmm... Why run FP like that? I can run wider wheels with the same compression in ITA... Basically, the re-classification got me the ability to switch letters on the side of my car and run slicks (albeit on stock wheels) that cost about the same as DOT tires.

I really need to re-think this whole racing thing...
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

It's really pleasing to see some actual explanations for reasoning from the CRB on the "Not Recommended" items instead of the usual blanket response of "not within class philosphy".

Great examples from this FasTrack:
    "This would cause an unnecessary cost increase"
    "This would create a model that
    was not built"

It's about damn time.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Why are they classifing more cars as level 1 in production? I thought the future of the club was Level 2?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Wait, holy crap I missed that. Level 1? I had requested Level 1 for EP... I'll have to see if that changes things... (I mean about the way I feel. I know it changes everything about the engine, suspension, steering, etc.).
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by planet6racing View Post
    Wait, holy crap I missed that. Level 1? I had requested Level 1 for EP... I'll have to see if that changes things... (I mean about the way I feel. I know it changes everything about the engine, suspension, steering, etc.).

You REALLY want to go Production???
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by 77ITA View Post
    It's really pleasing to see some actual explanations for reasoning from the CRB on the "Not Recommended" items instead of the usual blanket response of "not within class philosphy".

Great examples from this FasTrack:
    "This would cause an unnecessary cost increase"
    "This would create a model that
    was not built"

It's about damn time.

yea, and we've been talking and trying to do that for awhile...
    but...I bet money next month will have a letter debating our response for something!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    You REALLY want to go Production???
    Yes. For the given rulesets, FP offers more freedom for making changes. IT is a great class, but I want to be able to do more with the car eventually. Being and engineer and a technology junkie, FP was the next step.

Plus, Road America is hosting the Runoffs next year and I should be able to qualify (even with the car as it is now)...

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Woohoo... no more drilling holes in cages! Wait... are they providing the Tech Chiefs an ultrasonic tester???? My guess is no....
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Yes. For the given rulesets, FP offers more freedom for making changes. IT is a great class, but I want to be able to do more with the car eventually. Being and engineer and a technology junkie, FP was the next step.

Plus, Road America is hosting the Runoffs next year and I should be able to qualify (even with the car as it is now)...
    Well, I was more surprised because of the , well, to put it nicely, the mess that is Prod classing. I know you like to engineer!

What if IT were national??
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Let's not start that discussion again. For all of you who are thinking of answering it - please don't. We don't need to foul up yet another thread about that...

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Bill. The point is moot as you are classed as 'full prep', but anyone who thinks level 2 aka 'limited prep' production is IT with slicks really needs to not jump into that pond.

Remember that the limits in the engines are cylinder head porting, compression and cam lift. You will still be developing a custom cam profile, still be getting a light balanced knifed crank, still be doing almost every trick peice of machine work on Level 2 as Level 1. Still running way more cage than IT and still using lightweight body panels to help improve weight distribution.

It may be cheaper to race with Level 2, but not cheaper to win.

When/if I go that route it will be Level 1 FP.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Chris:

Level 2 with a 9.5:1 CR, IT rules for porting, 15X6 wheels, and IT weight doesn't make a big enough difference in my head. Level 1, I'm still processing. A lot more rules are opened, but the 9.5:1 is really limiting.

But, since it is Level 1 in FP, I can understand the restriction a little bit more.

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

So, the Saturn SL2 is classed in FP (prep level 1), but with 15X6 wheels and 9.5:1 compression. Hmm... Why run FP like that? I can run wider wheels with the same compression in ITA... Basically, the re-classification got me the ability to switch letters on the side of my car and run slicks (albeit on stock wheels) that cost about the same as DOT tires.

I really need to re-think this whole racing thing...
    There are at least three errors in that listing. It should be Level 2; the CR should be 11:1 and the max cam lift should be .450". (And, no, you cannot ask how these things happen!) We'll get it corrected next month.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    There are at least three errors in that listing. It should be Level 2; the CR should be 11:1 and the max cam lift should be .450". (And, no, you cannot ask how these things happen!) We'll get it corrected next month.

Dave
    Wait, what? Seriously? I filed this on May 22nd, 2008, and it just gets out, and it is WRONG?
    Last edited by planet6racing; 09-24-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Added the correct date of filing.

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post

Dave
    That sounds like a challenge.

Let's see ...

How do these things happen??

Yes! I did it. I *can* ask how these things happen!

(I was also curious due to the flaring errors in the new EP Z3 listing, which got corrected this month.)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

We run an Level 2 fp 91 civic and seem to be doing very well at the regional level ( won every race netered except one due to mouse click to allow timing to advnace) .. and all we have is a team of engineers to make up for the lack money. We have very little money invested. We built the car to FP rules and have been waiting on money for the double adjustable konis and adjsutable bits and rod ends.. currently running the old IT konis off the IT car with stiffer springs. and waiting for money to build the motor right. currently just an IT motor with a .380" lift cam.(old spec line.. currently allowed .450 lift).

We were to go national racing next year.. but if they make our car level 1 with the added weight.. we will not be able to build a true Level 1 prepared engine nor will it have the relability as a Level 2 prep engine. With the current Level 1 rules I can spend as much money we have in the car in the motor alone.
    Last edited by quadzjr; 09-23-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Sorry to rant.. the LEvel 1 reclassification is a sore subject with me.. my apologies.. wrong forum.. wrong time.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

So the October Fastrack says:

Either an inspection hold between 3/16 and 1/4 inch diameter must be drilled in a non-critical area of the front and rear hoops, as well as one of the supplemental braces to facilitate verification of wall thickness; or alternatively, wall thickness may be determined by non-invasive means and noted in the log book as inspected by such means.

Does this mean as a tech inspector I have to measure with a noninvasive device if the car owner insists of does it mean that is a permitted method at the discretion of the inspector?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The latter. If we had intended to make this a competitor option, we would have said so. This allows the use of non-invasive methods if the tools are available.

Dave