Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neat and clean appearance?

Question Neat and clean appearance?

Well, I finally did my first SCCA event at Road America the weekend of Sept 13th. Overall I had fun, but had one bad experience. I want to post hear to get some opinions from fellow IT racers.

I had to get my car teched, which went great. Three gentlemen were looking it over and didn't give any indication that anything was even close to causing a problem. At the very end, one gentleman decided that they needed to write up my driver’s side body damage. I asked them what that meant, and that's when they informed me that it means I would have to fix the damage before I could race another SCCA event. I told them that the damage that is left is the result of fixing the much worse body damage that occurred from hitting a guardrail earlier in the year. I fixed the damage to my liking and have no intention of fixing it further. I believe that I maintain a stock looking body line (to be legal per body repair rules) while presenting a car suitable for competition (it ain't perfect, but it hit a wall). I appealed to the Chief Steward after the event and even to another regional SCCA official later in the week to remove the notation so that I can race SCCA again. Currently, I am still waiting for a response. I would like to hear opinions from fellow IT racers as to whether they think the damage is bad enough to be written up or that SCCA is being picky and this car should be allowed to race. Here are pictures of the car before and after my fix (after the fix is actually as raced at RA). Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jared Cromas
    2012-2010 & 2008 Midwestern Council ITA Champion
    2008 Midwestern Council Driver of the Year
    SCSCC Race Steward
    #111 FP/ST '90 Gold/Blk Acura Integra

Unfortunately, Jared, that is a VERY subjective call. "Neat and clean" is as about nebulous a rule as you can get, and it's up to the tech inspector's discretion. Unfortunately, all tech inspectors are different.

Hell, if you want to see an extreme example, check out Joe DiMinno's car from 2006-2007; that thing was such a pig even *HE* replaced the whole car over last winter (then proceeded to wreck it again...sigh...)

You're doing the right thing by using the protest/appeals process. From this point forward you'll just need to see if someone higher-up can over ride the local guy. Otherwise you're probably screwed... - GA

***I fixed the damage to my liking and have no intention of fixing it further.***

Jared, if we use this ^ as a base line for repairing cars I can only imagine what a race group of cars will look like.

***I believe that I maintain a stock looking body line (to be legal per body repair rules) while presenting a car suitable for competition (it ain't perfect, but it hit a wall).***

Rule 9.1.3.D.8.h. Body repair workshall be preformed using every reasonable effort to maintain stock body contours, lips, ect.

Reading between the lines I understand where the tech inspector is coming from.

If I am not mistaken one of your coharts from Council who races a Spec Miata has been given the same notation with reference to his body work.

From my observations of you on track, you get-er done. It would be a shame if you decide to not fix your body work because that might leave you out of racing SCCA where there is some competition for you.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Hell, unless they took pictures that are now stapled in your logbook, take it to the next event and say "Look, I fixed it".:cool:
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

Well, from a tech point of view, I would probably do a write up in your book too, but I probably wouldn't insist that it was 'fix by next event'. I'd probably write it us as 'fix within 30 days'.

It also doesn't necessarily have to go to a body shop. I can't really asess the damage from here, but it looks like you could probably make it good enough in your garage. How do your neighbors feel about painting a car fender or two in your driveway? Mine neighbors have never said a thing....
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Fix the car.

I'm familiar with the rule in question and, although the tech inspector can enforce it as he did, it seems a bit overzealous. It appears to me that you made reasonable grassroots, budget type repairs to the car. I'd continue pursuing the appeals process and see if you can get it overturned. If not, I'd give some additional garage repair a try
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

I'd fix it - we don't run the junker classes that the circle track guys do. Besides, you'll need to get familiar with bodywork. Those repairs could be done in a Saturday afternoon. Take you paint code to a good paintshop and order some rattle cans with your color, piece of cake.

All you need to do is
    1. Drill holes into the dents
    2. Use a slide hammer to pull them out ($20 at any auto parts store)
    3. Slather bondo
    4. Use a wheel sander to smooth it out - usually need 3-4 bondo slatherings and sandings
    5. Paint
    6. It looks good from the 50/50 perspective. 50 feet away or 50 mph it'll look grrrrreat.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yeah, that'd be what I'd classify as a stellar job for at-the-track work... but with a month or more off between races... yeah, you should be able to do better than that. I don't see any signs of bondo being used... so seems to me like you're leaving something on the table. Not to say you have to use bondo, but you can get it closer than that without using a bodyshop.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I think that is something you could get away with for a whole racing year if ti happened AFTER you annual, but that would be something I would fix over the winter.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Default Neat And Clean

When Butch was having the annual done on his car earlier this year, as Rodger Sund would come to each line on the check list he would read it out loud. "Neat and clean?" Rodger said, with a disappointing look over his glasses at Butch. It was obvious that, while there was no damage to the car, there was no shine either.

I broke the silence with "At least he has the 'and' part".
    Tom Sprecher

I went through the same deal this season and I was told it needed to be fixed over the winter.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

I passed your tow rig on the way home from the track and I even commented to my son that it looked like he had a rough weekend at the track. Based on what I saw when we passed you I, would say the tech inspector was correct in writing it up.

Bob Clark
    #76 Cen-Div GTL
    #76 Cen-Div ITB

I think it looks fine... probably on the nicer end of most of the IT cars in the Midwest circuit. I raced all of '07 in an ITA car that looked the same or worse.

We're not all made of money and often times it doesn't make sense to do a bunch of body work on a $3k car between races when we know it's going to happen again. I can also assure you that the rule is written to keep a professional image for our sport, not to ensure that we all have show cars. As long as your car doesn't look like a demo-derby car from 50 feet away, you should be fine. I'd personally like the opportunity to tell your tech inspector where he can shove his GCR.
    Last edited by 77ITA; 09-23-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Take you paint code to a good paintshop and order some rattle cans with your color, piece of cake.

You can order rattle cans of your paint code?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    You can order rattle cans of your paint code?
    Yeah.

Most good automotive paint stores can whip up a spray can of any color you want as long as you've got a paint code.

In my neck of the woods, I've used Florissant Auto Paint (314) 837-1255

Give them a call if you can't find anyone in your area.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

thanks.. I will give it a try.. Hopefully I won't need it for a while.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

While that looks a bit beat up, its not TOO bad.

If you really don't want to spend a bunch of time fixing it. Throw some bondo on there, rattle can it, and throw some stickers over it.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

I completely agree with Ben and Tom.
    I ordered o/e paint color in rattle cans online, got good service, also clear coat from same source.
    At Sebring last year, I saw a SM come to the paddock after Sunday race, was hit from passenger side front wheel, to rear wheel, he drove it into the paddock, the bondo from earlier repair was 4 inches thick, right through the entire side.
    Weight penalty for sure, but he was still racing.
    cm
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by 77ITA View Post
    I think it looks fine... probably on the nicer end of most of the IT cars in the Midwest circuit. I raced all of '07 in an ITA car that looked the same or worse.

We're not all made of money and often times it doesn't make sense to do a bunch of body work on a $3k car between races when we know it's going to happen again. I can also assure you that the rule is written to keep a professional image for our sport, not to ensure that we all have show cars. As long as your car doesn't look like a demo-derby car from 50 feet away, you should be fine. I'd personally like the opportunity to tell your tech inspector where he can shove his GCR.
    And I'm sure they'd be perfectly happy to have your help in Tech. The line on Friday was 50 cars deep and took 3 hours for some to get through. Others were sent away and told to come back on Saturday.
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing