Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hans Device Update

Default Hans Device Update

Dear Racers,

We would like to alert you to the following information regarding your Hans devices. As per some of the rules of different clubs they are specifying that you must change the tethers on your Hans device every two years. Please consult your sanctioning body's rules so that you are in compliance for your next event. You will notice that on the newer Hans there is a date printed on the tether as per the FIA spec.

The standard fixed tethers are sold at $40 per pair or you can change these to the more popular sliding tethers for $75. For applications where you are in a vehicle that exiting is difficult with a helmet on you can change to the quick-release system for $110. In either case you can install them yourself or if you feel more comfortable we will install them for you free of charge. Just send us your Hans and we will take care of this and your only cost will be for the tethers and shipping.

PCA, NASA, BMWCCA and many other clubs are now requiring Head & Neck Restraints for all club racing. We are seeing customers opt for the lower priced Hans Sport model at $695. Please feel free to call us anytime with your questions regarding this at 1-800-275-4667.

As always we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Bob Zecca
    Last edited by Robert Zecca; 09-22-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks for the message Bob

I updated to the new sliding type tether after being involved in an accident because I could not turn my head enough to see oncoming traffic. The increase in visibility now that I can turn my head is phenomenal.

Do your selves a big favor and get the newer tether. You wont beleive the diference.

Phil

Just did the sliding tether update. Made a huge difference. I didn't realize how much I couldn't turn my head.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

So, not only are you paying $$$ for SFI, you now have to pay $110 every 2 years if we want to keep sliding tethers?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

SFI -- Bah!
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    So, not only are you paying $$$ for SFI, you now have to pay $110 every 2 years if we want to keep sliding tethers?
    Nope, just $75 for the sliding. It's $110 if you want the quick release tethers (based on the above message).
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

FIA belts are good for 5 years so why not the tethers?
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    FIA belts are good for 5 years so why not the tethers?
    Because, like lambs to the slaughter, instead of pushing back against all this silly SFI...stuff...we accept it.

Out of significant respect for Bob and all that he's done this year, I will not sully this discussion further vis-a-vis SFI and required safety equipment. But...seriously folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Because, like lambs to the slaughter, instead of pushing back against all this silly SFI...stuff...we accept it.

Out of significant respect for Bob and all that he's done this year, I will not sully this discussion further vis-a-vis SFI and required safety equipment. But...seriously folks...
    http://www.racingsafetyinstitute.org/

Just sayin'.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

http://www.sunbiz.org/pdf/60773776.pdf

Hmmm...this bother anyone else here ?

Just an FYI: Quick releases are not yet available for the sliding teathers..They are under development.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post

Allot of us have brought up that as long as Gregg is the head of RSI it will never work.
    Mike Uhlinger

No more so than than recognizing who runs SFI.

Actually, now that I think about it, significantly less so...

My Isaac tethers don't need to be replaced every two years.....
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It will, only if you want it to.

We've been trying for a couple of years to gin up enough interest to make a fully independent body work, including creating an community modeled on the open-source software approach, so WE can own the process and standards...

...but as Greg A. says, only about 4 of us among the SCCA membership care enough to even bleat as we go off to the hammer.

Mr. Baker has ponied up the initial $$ to help make it happen, because it is consistent with the philosophies that drive his company, mission, and product. I can tell you from firsthand conversations with him - again, over 3 or more years now - that he would like NOTHING more than for someone else to take it and run. Several names associated with the IT.com community have been involved but at the end of the day, it looks like most road racers are totally fine with the situation.

A next step will be suits that age out in a few years. SFI doesn't make money if you don't buy stuff with their patches.

K

It's an interesting contrast in "full disclosure".

SFI, regardless of the venom you care to regard them with, fully discloses its member organizations.

RSI fails in this regard. Several frequent posters here at IT.com (including you, Kirk) played dumb when asked "who is behind RSI ? ". That, my friend, is an ethical failure that continued for a long long time. The disclosure of the linkage didn't even come from "within".

Not very impressed.

Do I think that SFI has my best interests at heart ? Not really. Do I have ANY confidence in the "sock puppet" world of RSI ? No.

John, you would make a great RSI board member.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    John, you would make a great RSI board member.
    + eleventybillion

Not being sarcastic, either...

Neither was I.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

JohnRW would have us all wearing tinfoil helmets...with SFI stickers of course.