Thread: New guy here...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

welcome... good to see another rx7 not that they need another one lol but I am a fan

just a heads up, when making mods to the car try to keep them IT legal unless you want to/can undo them later...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Oh no, another one of those darn "S' RX7's. Just when I am getting to the point of getting around the Spec 7's too!! :cool:

Just kidding, welcome to the fray. In case somebody doesn't mention it, the Roebling RR school is set for the first weekend in February, I think. I am just up the road from you in Huntsville.

Good luck and normally TVR holds a tech session for annual inspections a week or two before the school. Of course, so does Alabama region but RIch travels from Huntsville to hlep them out.

Good luck and welcome again.

Paul

Oh, forgot to add there is a pdx coming up at "Little Talladega" in October. Details are at DLB racing or at alscca.org
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Seat time, seat time, seat time................... Most important thing!!

Piece of advice #2 (coming from someone who didn't do this and was years behind the curve because of it!) hook up with another IT racer in your area. Help them out at the track a few weekends, make friends with them and ask lots of questions (buying them beer doesn't hurt either ) use them as a resource. Most racers have big egos and love to talk about their cars and racing and how to help YOU go faster.

Good luck!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Seat time, seat time, seat time................... Most important thing!!

Piece of advice #2 (coming from someone who didn't do this and IS years behind the curve because of it!)
    Good luck!!
    Fixed that for you!

(I kill myself!)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks for all of the advice! As far as going to some races with someone that is local, well that's kind of hard being as that I live in a "college town". The only thing that people here care about is A. Drag Racing B. NASCAR and C. Alabama Football. I would love to hang out with someone at the track and learn the ropes. I have already started going to some events and workin corners for a weekend-the only problem is that when you do that you don't have hardly any time to hang in the pits. Here is what I have done to the car so far:

1987 Mazda RX-7 Base (White) (265,000 miles on chassis)

-ISC Racing suspension
    -400 lb front 250 lb rear
    -Billstein non-adjustable shocks
    -1 1/4 Front adjustable track bar
    -S5 brakes and five lug conversion
    -S4 N/A clutch type LSD 4:10:1 gears (to be installed soon)
    -ISC Racing dual pass radiator
    -16" electric fan (3,000 cfm)
    -Brake ducts to be routed in S5 bumper (to be installed soon)
    -ISC Racing extra large oil cooler with custom made -10 lines
    -Full Autometer mechanical gauges (oil temp, oil pres., water temp, fuel pres.)
    -cheap "mazdaspeed" racing buckets
    -factory BBS convertible wheels wrapped in Falken Azenis 615's 205/50/15 (widest tire I felt comfortable going with a 6.5 inch wheel)
    -Caster/camber plates up front
    -Hard upper rear shock mounts
    -Mazdatrix Rear steer eliminators (to be ordered soon)
    -Stainless steel braided brake lines

The motor is a stock S4 motor (I have a good S5 motor in case I blow this one up...lol.) with the following improvements:

-Full S5 Intake manifold swap
    -S4 throttle body has choke removed
    -soon to be "custom" air intake setup
    -all emissions removed(and I do mean everything)
    -Racing Beat Road Race header wrapped in fiberglass
    -ISC racing exhaust system (custom expansion chamber front section, mandrel bent 3" pipe all the way back to a Dynomax Ultra-Flow S/S muffler
    -Walbro 255 lph pump with Aeromotive riseing rate FPR
    -S5 Alternator with dual belt setup
    -A/C removed
    -New stock Exedy OEM clutch(will run this one for the rest of the year or until it starts giving me problems)

That's about all I can think of right now. When I get most everything put together I will take pics. It's not the prettiest thing on four wheels but it's definately gonna be cool. I guess when it's all said in done it should basically be an ISC Racing built car with a smaller tire and no cage in it...lol.

Oh and I do plan on going to the DE event in October!!!

The one thing I do need is some corner scales. I was suppose to use Chuck Badder's scales, but I know he's a pretty busy guy, so it would be nice if someone could help me corner weight my car?!?

Thanks,
    -Vincent

Like Jeff said, do as many DEs as you can.

The comment said about hanging out with some people who race doesn't mean that you actually know them now. Keep going to events, take a few and just spectate, walk around and talk to people. If you meet someone that seems nice, has a similar car (not open wheel) and sounds like they kinda know what they're doing, ask them if you can help in anyway or just hang out for a while and learn from them. I don't know many people who would turn you away. Many of us started off just as you are and didn't know others who raced. That'll change quickly. Best of luck and don't be bashful of asking questions. I know I'm not. LOL
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thanks for the advice! I am lucky to know a few people already, but none of them that I have a RX-7. I only saw one at the double SAARC event and that was an old Speedsource car-and I didn't get a chance to speak with him.

As far as the car goes, I also plan on getting the cage done over the winter, as well as painting the car inside and out.

-Vincent.