Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actual rules??

Quote Originally Posted by mtownneon View Post
    J...There's not enough gain to hassle anyone about it. Further, IT is supposed to be an "affordable" so if someone can loop their steering lines and don't want power steering, go for it. To force someone to retrofit a manual rack is adding cost and goes against the intent of the rules.

The wiring issue, keeping it factory keeps it simple to police and actually keeps cost down.
    If you had played the "safety" card too, then you'd have covered the three favorite rationale. How about, "taking the fluid out of the power steering system prevents dangerous slick stuff from leaking on the track!"...??

...To force someone to retrofit a manual rack is adding cost and is following the rules...
    K

GREG, yes, "Rules is Rules" but in some things, a little "LALL" might be in order.
    I have been head and shoulders into many race IT cars, and I have seen Cool Shirt Switch
    Transponder Switch
    Helmet Blower Switch
    Elec. Radiator Fan Switch
    Camera Switch
    Data System Switch
    And, when the only way to disable or remove the steering wheel locking system is to remove the key switch in it's entirety, I see off/on switch, and starter buttons/switch.

But, if "rules is rules" it dont say you can add a switch.
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by wcmcarlos View Post
    But, if "rules is rules" it dont say you can add a switch.
    Ah, ok, I'm with you. I musta missed the rule where it says that if you add a switch for allowed accessories you can disable your power steering system.

My bad.

If you can add a [whatever] then you can add all of the parts necessary to install your [whatever] unless it performs an otherwise prohibited function.

That said, I guess I've never dug into the GCR to make sure that we are allowed to add driver cooling and radios...

K

Remember that the there are rules that allow freedom with the Ignition, fuel pump and instrumentation that allow most of the critical wiring to be bypassed.

By the way anyone who wires his transponder to any switch other than the kill switch is asking for trouble.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Ah, ok, I'm with you. I musta missed the rule where it says that if you add a switch for allowed accessories you can disable your power steering system.

My bad.
    Maybe it's the same rule that allows us to replace the power steering pulley with anything, including air Which is no excuse for replacing the rest of the system with air.

Seriously thought, the one that gets me is not being allowed bolting things to the floor board, like cool suit coolers and fire system bottles, only weight is allowed to be bolted to the floor.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    If you can add a [whatever] then you can add all of the parts necessary to install your [whatever] unless it performs an otherwise prohibited function.
    or as Geo used to say... 'if it says you can, you bloody well can'
    Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    That said, I guess I've never dug into the GCR to make sure that we are allowed to add driver cooling and radios...
    Here ya go Kirk
    9.3.14. COOL SUITS
    Cool suits are allowed in all classes. Water tank mounts shall be of a safe and secure design.
    9.1.3.8.j
    Audio systems may be removed in their entirety.Two-way radios are permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by mom'sZ View Post
    or as Geo used to say... 'if it says you can, you bloody well can'

Here ya go Kirk
    9.3.14. COOL SUITS
    Cool suits are allowed in all classes. Water tank mounts shall be of a safe and secure design.
    9.1.3.8.j
    Audio systems may be removed in their entirety.Two-way radios are permitted.
    Where does it say it's allowed to mount it to the floor?? Actually, it's prohibited in 9.1.3.9.l.3 Holes may be drillled in the (sic) floorpan for the purposes of mounting ballast (only).....

The (only) prevents drilling holes and mounting anything to the floor pan, even things we're allowed like radio's, cool suits, data acquisition, and fire systems. So every car with anything mounted to the floor other than weight isn't legal.

I'd propose we get rid of the only, and allow authorized accessory be allowed to be bolted to the floor
    James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

This is the second time I have gone through this P/S mess.
    I never would have removed my P/S, as it does make steering much too hard for my old upper body.
    But WOW I never kicked over a hornets nest without paying a price either.
    No hard feelings, interesting thread.
    I knew the answers before I posted, as I said in my earlier post.
    If someone will rent me an IT car next summer, I will race with you Guys at New Hampsire.
    If not, I'll just have to work the grid.
    Carlos
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

James: so far I've managed to bolt everything to stock mounting holes such as the seat mounts for passenger seat and center console mounts. I wouldn't be opposed to such a rule change and see no ill effects, rules creep or possiblitly for 'intorturation' but I haven't thought about it much yet although some verbage for allowable accesories only or something should probably be included.... write a letter.