Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: NARRC Run Offs

I'm certain Richie has a HANS, and after the hit he said it seemed to do nothing. Greg Amy said the same of his Watkins Glen hit, and added that the HANS came out from under the left belt.

If I had a HANS, I'd need to get a seat with side wings , but, I wear an Isaac, so I have more options. I'm going to stick with what I have, as the wings take up a lot of real estate in the window, and could make egress very difficult. For me the Isaac is the best of both worlds.

Richie runs his car with NASA, so he has little choice. I don't recall seeing a winged seat but I could be wrong on that.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by vwzx7 View Post
    I think I saw him with an ice pack on the right forarm but I'm not sure...
    When I talked to Justin one of his wrists was wrapped and he was holding a cold water bottle against it. He was visibly shaken but otherwise seemed okay. As you can se in the video he did not take his hands off the wheel...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I talked with Richie earlier and he swears he had both feet in. SWEARS.
    the effect a shock like that has on our perception and memory is amazing!!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

Another no no. Richie had one of those inexpensive (maybe Butler) alum seat with no wings and things. The upper part of it bent over to the right a good three inches. Had it not been for the seat back brace, that would have probably failed too. Never skimp on safety Man!
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Just watched the impact video.

So why was Hunter rolling across the track into the path of the Miata?

I've had two hits in the past two years where drivers didn't lock 'em up and rolled across the track or off the track. It's not a matter of zigging when you should zag. It's a matter of spinners not being responsible enough to lock up the brakes and having a predictable trajectory.

Do it for your fellow racers - not for yourself..................please.
    Christian J. Chandler
    BMW 318is
    #26 ITA
    JiM Power

Richie SWEARS he was locked up, and I think he WAS, during most of the spin...check out the smoke, but at the last second, he obviously was rolling.

Honestly, maybe Richie could have done a better job, and probably the Miata as well, but, in the moment, both were doing their best, i bet.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

At what point do you think he didn't have them locked up? After the first contact? That's what it looks like to me. From his split judgement perspective, if he did let the brakes go he did so while getting close to the inside of the track. If the Miata saw Richie (and I understand why he probably didn't), he would assumed Richie was going to continue his path - towards the inside of the track. In this case Christian, I'd argue that Richie was going in a predictable path.

Other incidents are different. I've been involved in at least two like you're talking about. One in the left hander where he never locked them up and recovered right into my passenger side door instead of continuing his spin off the track as anticipated. That does get frustrating.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

(in response to Dave)

richie was sideways at trackout for a long time. If he ever locked up his brakes, they were then. After he presumably released the brake(or after his tires finally found some traction) he suddenly began to roll across the track... that's my POV
    Last edited by CRallo; 10-04-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: to make it make sense :)
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I know that if I was either driver this second guessing on what to do, what ability etc. would bother the crap out of me. Let is rest that both guys were doing their damn best.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I know that if I was either driver this second guessing on what to do, what ability etc. would bother the crap out of me. Let is rest that both guys were doing their damn best.
    +1

The only reason I chimed in was because the "digging on the new guy" bothered me... don't know if that's a good excuse but that is mine

very good point, I second guess myself enough, I hate when someone else does it too...

Basically hindsight is 20/20 and what happened was racing
    Chris Rallo "the kid"

I agree with Ben...... next .....

Who is coming to NJMP for the JRRC? Plenty of track time for a small amount.

Regional -
    20 min
    22 min
    15 lap race (20 mins max)
    22 lap race (30 mins max)
    18 lap race (25 mins max)

Pro-IT -
    30 min qual
    40 min race
    40 min race

End the season right.

Who is coming to the NARRC banquet in Albany?
    Celebrate our NARRC champions
    IT7 - Jake GULICK
    ITC - Fred WHITE
    ITB - Nat WENTWORTH
    ITA - Crazy Joe DiMINNO (or is he just insane)
    ITS - Jeff HARDING
    ITR - Dave MAYNARD

Thanks,
    Darrell

Driver of car number 77 ITS Mazda. I have spoken today with Mr Robert Thiele I have expressed to Mr Thiele my regrets for the unfortunate contact at the start of the NARRC race at Limerock Park on the 27th of September. I assured him that the contact was in no way intended . As every one in the race was aware the track conditions at the start of the race were very slippery to say the least. I was in complete control of my car at the time of the incident but did make very slight contact with the left rear bumper of Mr Thieles BMW. With the wet track conditions this contact was enough to send his car in to a spin. I explained to Robert that from my perspective there was a large space that opened up on the inside of the left hander and I made a move to go through the space. The opening started to close and I checked up but still made the unfotunate contact. I did seek out Robert after the race but he had already left the circuit. I completly understand how Robert feels as I have been on the recieving end of this type of incident more times than I car to remenber. Going forward I am shure that we will enjoy many new races together.

Mark, really appreciate the call - let's look forward now and have fun at NJMP and many more races!

Rob
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

I like racing with guys who have class - Kudos to Mr. Thiele and Mr. Greggory who demonstrate that there remains such a thing as "the gentleman racer".

I will now do my best to kick both your asses at NJMP :-) Although I think Rob got the best of me last time :-(
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Hi guys...
    Read the thread, figured I should see what was being written about my unfortunate line choice at LRP. Yes, I was fine (and wearing a HANS thank goodness), and yes, my wrist is still bothering me, but not bad, just some pain, no mobility issues. Must have gotten wrenched back pretty good.

It's unfortunate that I t-boned whomever it was driving the other ITA car. I had actually decided before he was driving too aggressive for me and pulled back from him a bit on the green flag at the entry to big bend. I figured I'd give him a few laps and then see if I could make a move. Probably just a driving style difference, as you could see -- I took one wheel off on no-name so I gave the guy in the red car I was crowding on the right room for his line. I'm actually pretty conservative.
    The crash...
    I couldn't see with the smoke on the left and saw the other car and figured he wouldn't make it (did he? I think he made pretty good contact).

I think the other driver did have both feet in at first, but he decided to move (I can only assume he couldn't look right 90deg because of seat or hans). Too bad, there was a car width and a half when I committed to the line (and let off as someone pointed out). Once I saw he was moving I went to brakes, but I think it only helped a litle... I was really worried about hurting someone, including myself... Nobody wants to DNF a race... especially when you're on a super-limited budget (like me).

Anyway, hope the guy is better now. I wish the outcome had been different... His experience I'm reading about coupled with Whit's unfortunate experience in the #7 (newly repaired and broken again) at WGI at the "Last Chance" has convinced me FIA seats are the only way to go, no more aluminum.

Thanks for the kind words... and I understand the other stuff, but, the video shows what happened pretty well... one makes a call in a split second and, well, that's racing.
    Cheers
    Justin