Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NARRC Run Offs

Congratulations Nat !!
    Nice way to end a great season of racing. Dave Z without question, deserves the White Knight of the Year award.
    I must say that was the hardest/craziest race I had ever run. While Nat was Cruzin in his luxury VW, I was 11/10ths, makin a whole bunch lappers mad trying to catch back up to Nat. After passing lapped cars 3 wide in the grass on NoName , the left hander should have been no problem. LOL At least both our cars are white. oopps<Sorry Dave>
    Glad to hear Ritch is OK.
    If you had asked me in the begining of the season, if I thought ,I'd have a chance competing for a championship. I would have said you were a crazy person. I feel priviledged and honored to have participated in all these events with all of you guys and girls. This was a great season with a whole bunch of first class racers and first class people !!
    Nat, are you going to re-fit the tank for NJ ?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    ..... I was thrilled to be able to FINALLY take a checkered flag lap at Lime Rock -my first ever
    Wow! Nice job man. Congrats on the win.Who else was there doing the IT-7 thing? Need results man!

Went up to see Hunter at his home this evening and he is doing fine. Still has a headache and will probably go see a Doc tomorrow just to make sure all is well. He showed us his car and man, that must have been a helluva hit. The X bars on the pass side opened up in the center like a gate on hinges and the passenger door ended up being the center console. Sheesh! He was wearing a HANS device, thank goodness for that. Now what aboot the dude that hit Richie eh? How is he doing? Any videos yet?
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Default ITB Race

First and foremost I want to say that Nat, Ken, Charley, and Rick (individually and collectively) drove an absolutely friggen fantastic race. I was lucky enough to have Scott Carllson and Michael Reece standing next to me in the tower to keep picking me off the floor while watching the action. I was ready to ask them to carry me to medical when they went three wide in the lefthander. Ken, if you want the rubber from your sidewall, it is available on the side of the Golf in front of the rear wheel.

While the ebb and flow of traffic certainly played its part Nat just put his head down and drove at a smooth yet aggressive pace. The passes I saw were clean.

Let me point out that the first 4 ITB cars crossed the finish line in order,one behind the other. One miscue would have cost many positions.

Look at the fastest laps:

Nat 1.05.264
    Ken 1.04.763
    Charley 1.05.877
    Rick 1.05.264

Note that Ken is the only RWD car.

The next three ITB cars (Volvo) ran 1.07's.

Nat, I don't want your firstborn, but how about a 10 year 'no-pass' rule?

It was fun for me, nerve wracking, but fun nonetheless, to see my car win and have Nat earn that championship.

DZ
    Last edited by Dave Zaslow; 09-29-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Damn, that was beyond nice of you Dave and as Jake said, a bit gutsy. Yeah, I think you deserve at least a 5 year rule on that one. If I had only known you were offering rides on your car. I'm still pissed I coudn't get the car repaired in time although it makes me feel better it wasn't raining during your qual. and race. Next year's gotta get easier, right?

Nice job Jake & Joe. So Jake, we gonna see you in ITB next year?

If any of us are given no choice but to "t-bone" a car, where do we aim???
    The axel / wheel.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 09-29-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Quote formatting
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default Congrats Nat

Nat - Great job!
    Dave - your the man.

Nat - hope to see you in NJ.

BTW- I do have a VW for sale ;-)

Beran
    Beran Peter
    ITB #0 NER
    VW Golf

Coming back to the ITS/ITR/ITB discussion, I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap. Motor died and 30 cars were coming my way :eek: thanks to everyone for watching out and trying to avoid me. Rick was the unfortunate one who could not get around me, but luckily enough he slowed down already significantly before impact. The whole situation could have been much worse. Hope his car is not damaged too badly. Mine needs some body work, but should be ready by mid October NJMP.
    Race accidents can happen, but I don't think this one was necessary: the top 4 cars in front of me were going at a slower pace, understandable giving the wet track and the cold tires in the first lap. So everyone was queuing up, except for the Mazda RX7 who tried to win the race in the first two turns at any cost: he dive bombed into the left hander, proper hit on my left rear bumper.
    As I said, accidents can happen. What bugs me: These kind of incidences with too much temper in the first lap are dangerous and can cause mass crashs and totalled cars. Nevertheless, the guy did not even show up after the race to see what damage he caused, not to speak about an explanation or apology - so the learning experience for the future I am afraid is zero.
    I know I am emotional since I was the one who got hit (plus Rick), but I think this is bad driving & bad style.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    As I said, accidents can happen. What bugs me: These kind of incidences with too much temper in the first lap are dangerous and can cause mass crashs and totalled cars. Nevertheless, the guy did not even show up after the race to see what damage he caused, not to speak about an explanation or apology - so the learning experience for the future I am afraid is zero.
    I know I am emotional since I was the one who got hit (plus Rick), but I think this is bad driving & bad style.
    Well, in changeable conditions, and with minimal qualifying spreads, getting in front of cars can be VERY important. i might have qualified behind you by a tenth or two, but in the race I might be faster, for whatever reason. now if it begins to get damp, passing will be next to impossible, as the lead car can choose to stay on the dry line.

So I understand agression at the start.

But, as you said, mistakes are made.

I agree with you that the car that did the hitting should seek you out and apologise and/or discuss. Of course, there are two sides to every story.

Maybe though, before pronouncing him or her "guilty" you let some time pass, as you guys were the last group, and time to pack and get off the premises in the rain could be tight. Who knows, he may have had guests with him that included a worried mother and a bitchy girlfriend and he was just trying to keep the peace at home, so to speak. Let's hope he contacts you.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Good points, Jake. Provided that someone thinks rationally - I have seen too many racers who just mutate to different persons once the helmet is on and the green flag out. You can typically tell by the number of incidents what species you have - if someone is in control or takes accidents into consideration. We'll see.

In any case I do not wish him the racer's nightmare: the bitchy girl friend ;-)

Coming back to the ITS/ITR/ITB discussion, I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap. Motor died and 30 cars were coming my way :eek: thanks to everyone for watching out and trying to avoid me. Rick was the unfortunate one who could not get around me, but luckily enough he slowed down already significantly before impact. The whole situation could have been much worse. Hope his car is not damaged too badly. Mine needs some body work, but should be ready by mid October NJMP.
    Race accidents can happen, but I don't think this one was necessary: the top 4 cars in front of me were going at a slower pace, understandable giving the wet track and the cold tires in the first lap. So everyone was queuing up, except for the Mazda RX7 who tried to win the race in the first two turns at any cost: he dive bombed into the left hander, proper hit on my left rear bumper.
    I was watching your run. You drove well. Dig your graphics!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Thanks Chris
    Glad you like the design. Looks good on the track, but the car can easily get lost in the woods ;-)

I was watching the local news and they ran a story about Paul Newman. A reporter was at Lime Rock interviewing PLNs competitors and they showed a 2 second clip of the start of the ITR/ITS/ITB race from Saturday and the car that stood out the most was Rob's Green zebra striped BMW.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

rob oddly enough one of the ladies from timing and scoring thought it was busy and she wished that your # was on the center of your door. i think it looks cool. i am glad that you car is not worse. it could have been ugly. as soon as he tapped you i knew i was fxxked.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlesa View Post
    rob oddly enough one of the ladies from timing and scoring thought it was busy and she wished that your # was on the center of your door. i think it looks cool. i am glad that you car is not worse. it could have been ugly. as soon as he tapped you i knew i was fxxked.

I was in T&S all weekend. There were some mention of not being able to find the number on the car. but, after the first lap you know the green zebra is 92!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    I was watching the local news and they ran a story about Paul Newman. A reporter was at Lime Rock interviewing PLNs competitors and they showed a 2 second clip of the start of the ITR/ITS/ITB race from Saturday and the car that stood out the most was Rob's Green zebra striped BMW.

Rob, great race! interesting finish in traffic at the line!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Rob, great race! interesting finish in traffic at the line!
    Thanks. I think the last two NARRC Runoff races have been decided by less than .2 seconds combined. 2007 was .02 and this year it was .111
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    Thanks. I think the last two NARRC Runoff races have been decided by less than .2 seconds combined. 2007 was .02 and this year it was .111
    Glad you found a hole in the pack to make the pass stick!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

SCCA regionals on TV That's great. Did not see the cameras, where were they?

@Rick: how's your car? What's damaged?

Glad the T&S issue got sorted out

I was driving the 92 BMW which got hit and turned by a red Mazda (I think it was the 77) in the left hander in the first lap.
    The red 77 is Mark Gregory. Good driver, very aggressive, had a weak motor in his car this weekend so he may have wanted to get every inch he could on the start (he always does! :eek: ). Mark hasn't been around much this season, but he's a nice guy and reads this board sometimes, so I hope we'll hear from him.

Sorry about the rough break, Rob. I was pointed right at you (green Mazda) in that melee, getting set to either hit you or spin trying not to, when your car did one of those miraculous (for me) jukes and cleared a path.

Steve Ulfelder
    Flatout Motorsports
    05 ITS

Quote Originally Posted by ulfelder View Post
    I was pointed right at you (green Mazda) in that melee, getting set to either hit you or spin trying not to, when your car did one of those miraculous (for me) jukes and cleared a path.

Steve Ulfelder
    Flatout Motorsports
    05 ITS
    Instead you hit that poor 944!!!

Kidding!! We were standing right there at Big Bend. I don't think he had any idea you were there. Tough break. He did get the worst of it.

The front runners in ITS/ITR put on a great show. Some outstanding driving and all with rear wheel drive!! Very impressive!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Instead you hit that poor 944!!!

... I don't think he had any idea you were there. Tough break. He did get the worst of it.
    Rats, I hoped nobody saw that, with only 2 laps to go. We talked afterward, and you're right - he didn't see me, and I thought he did because he'd just let another guy through. One a them racin' deals. As you say, it was just a fender for me, but suspension for him. Bummer.

Steve