Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About ARRC 2009...

Default Thoughts About ARRC 2009...

... based on the anticipated "challenges" we're facing with this year's groupings.

Most of you know I'm not afraid to shake things up a bit if it results in a better experience for everyone involved. To that end - and to keep if from getting lost in the other threads where everyone is beating me up about 2008 - I'd like to solicit opinions on some options. Again, none of this would be in effect for 2008, but I like to plan ahead.

As Bowie suggests in the other thread, the Friday afternoon Pro-IT needs to stay for a number of reasons:
    (a) it gives people a chance for additional track time
    (b) people would be even less inclined to have their championship race on Friday than they would on Sunday
    (c) the extra revenue helps us make ends meet

Question #1 - Do y'all care about the "Pro" aspect of Friday's race? Drop the cash payouts and we'd drop the entry fee to $150 like the Sunday Bonus race.

Question #2 - In case that race is oversubscribed, we'd first drop those not registered for any other races that weekend (encourages double-dipping). If still oversubscribed, drop "locals" first (reduces the home court advantage). If STILL oversubscribed, go with our current oversubscription procedures. Agree or Disagree?

I'm inclined to NOT run a Championship race on Sunday because most folks (except those running the Enduro) want it as a travel day. The best answer I can come up with right now is to have nine races on Saturday.

Question #3 - If it allows us to have nine races on Saturday, would you be willing to chop laps off of YOUR Championship race? i.e. - we're currently running 20 laps, would you be willing to run 17 (or go to a timed race - I just thought of that while editing my post) instead if it helped make the run groups more homogenous? And yes, the extra (fifth) run group would be for the IT/SM world, NOT among us real race cars.

No decisions will be made until after November, so you can certainly talk to me at the track about either of these ideas if you'd rather not post here. I just want to get a feel for what y'all are willing to accept.

See ya...
    Last edited by Butch Kummer; 09-15-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Hi Butch,

Good idea to go ahead and start getting input on and ideas for the 09 event. I'm still a relatively new IT racer. I've run the ARRC weekend every year since I got my license (2006, 2007, and will be there this year with my new Conover Motor Sports built car).

Keep the Pro-IT. Extra seat-time for those making a loooong drive, it's a no-brainer. I'd be fine with dropping the "Pro" part of it if it would get the entry fee down to $150ish. Over-subscription sounds like it can be handled fairly.

I'd also agree with the attempt to keep all the IT Championship races on Saturday... an idea, what about bumping the ASM/SSM/SM-whatever race to Sunday? That would sort out any issues with those folks wanting to "double dip", yes?

Assuming the SM races didn't go to Sunday, I would be ok dropping a couple laps from my "feature" race if it would mean getting a run group without SM in it.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

being a noob to the arrc, i would like the seat time of the PRO-IT and dropping the Pro part to keep the costs down in light of the fuel costs and make it more about seat time sounds good to me.

if more at stake than a $5 trophy, then folks might start thinking/driving differently. i know it has occurred to me during a race what the contingency is if i move up just one more spot....

just my feed back but if the local pro-it is part of the incremental income that makes the event profitable, do what you have to do.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I'd be more inclined to run the Friday race if you'd drop the "Pro" - seen too many cars not make it to their Sat race 'cause someone wanted a few more bucks! Though it still worries me to run such a "non"-event race before the "real" ARRC race. No issues with the drop policy...

I would definitely give up a couple of laps for the privilege of running a Miata-free group!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    I would definitely give up a couple of laps for the privilege of running a Miata-free group!!!
    Come on, Vaughn. If those 924 fenders are like the fenders on my 944, they are made of armor plate, just the thing for pushing those little beatles around!!!!! Just kidding, but I agree that I would rather not run with Wreck Me ... I mean Spec Miatas.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Default 2009 Schedule

Is a tentative schedule available for 2009?

Now that we've survived the Barber weekend we'll start promoting the ARRC by GRM more intently.

www.ARRC-Online.com has the tentative 2009 schedule posted.
    Butch Kummer

Butch,

What is ITP? From - Group 3: ITR, ITS, (ITP?)

Tom

We're talking to the 944 Cup guys about allowing them to run in that group using their rules. As long as their cars meet SCCA safety specs (which they do), we can create an Atlanta Region class that will allow them to race using their current prep rules (which are not allowed in ITR/ITS). We'd also ask the Chief Steward for a split start. We still have some details to work out, but "ITP(orsche)" seems to be the logical class designation.
    Butch Kummer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    Butch,

What is ITP? From - Group 3: ITR, ITS, (ITP?)

Tom
    Yes Butch. Do tell us what an ITP is.

Todd

Will ther be any "smart car" tipping at this event Butch?? I heard it was a new sport elsewhere.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Darn - I picked a lousy year to bail, I coulda come down and run ITP too! LOL

Stickering that up from an ITB car sure would be easy...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Oh. I just thought it was a ladies' class.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Oh. I just thought it was a ladies' class.
    Heh Heh heh....
    Gary Gentry
    NC Region
    #4 IT7/ITA
    2008 CCPS ITA Champion
    2008 SAARC IT-7 3rd Overall
    2009 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    2010 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    #4 Car>>>Sad State of Affairs

Default Pro Paddock?

Will both paddocks be used (outside "club" and inside "pro")? If yes, have they determined which groups will be in each section?

Thanks.
    Russ McBride
    Marietta, GA
    Van Diemen RF94 F1000

There's a map on the ARRC website and the preliminary Schedule gives you the classes in each group, but essentially all the IT cars and various iterations of Spec Miata will operate out of the Club Paddock (Groups 1-4, 9 (Pro-IT) and 11 (Enduro)) while the formula cars, and Big Noise cars (Groups 5-8 and 10) will use the Infield Paddock. If you choose to paddock on the other side from where you're class operates (Grid and Impound included), you'll have to get to the correct side to enter the track (we will NOT be using both pit roads simulaneously).
    Butch Kummer

Default regsitration

How/when do you get registered?

IIRC, registration has been through DLBracing in the past... just looked and nothing there though.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

I'm hoping to get the sanction numbers from Topeka and open registration up this week. Registration will be via MSR and links will be posted on www.ARRC-Online.com.

Still waiting to hear from National...
    Butch Kummer

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    IIRC, registration has been through DLBracing in the past... just looked and nothing there though.
    It's open now (not DLB Racing, tho):

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...029C024FC94AEF
    Russ McBride
    Marietta, GA
    Van Diemen RF94 F1000