Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gateway in October!

I got the go ahead and will be there in IT7. I haven't been to GIR since 2001. My memory tells me there were no showers back then. Are there any now?
    Charles Casteel
    #31 IT7
    Team Phenix Racing

I may try and make it over for this event. If I do, it will have to be a morning banzai run from Indy to try and make the second qual session on Saturday morning. I assume that they still open the backstretch gate between certain sessions to let traffic in? Can anyone comment on this? I'd hate to be stuck sitting outside the gate as the cars in my group go by......
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Well... if you get stuck, you could always unload outside of the gate and drive the SER through the tunnel

Yes, if you're waiting at the gate, they'll let you through between sessions.
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Good to see all the IT's that have already announced they are coming. Hopefully the entries will continue to come in and there will be good racing for all.

Charles, there are no showers at the track. I believe there may be pay showers at the truck stop across the road, but I am not positive on this one.

On a side note: How do you like the groupings that we have for this race? With it being regional only we get flexibility in which classes run together and we try to change things up so that you can get some different cars to race against. If there is anybody who doesn't like them, what would you like to see? There might not be anything we can do for this year, but we are always looking to make things better in the future.
    Bryon Prokopf
    St. Louis Region Club Race Committee Chairperson
    T&S, F&C

Quote Originally Posted by brprok81 View Post
    Good to see all the IT's that have already announced they are coming. Hopefully the entries will continue to come in and there will be good racing for all.

Charles, there are no showers at the track. I believe there may be pay showers at the truck stop across the road, but I am not positive on this one.

On a side note: How do you like the groupings that we have for this race? With it being regional only we get flexibility in which classes run together and we try to change things up so that you can get some different cars to race against. If there is anybody who doesn't like them, what would you like to see? There might not be anything we can do for this year, but we are always looking to make things better in the future.
    My only concern is where ITS and ITR are grouped. They need to be with the rest of the IT cars. That is where these cars are at all other MiDiv events. They are familar with the other IT drivers and they are on DOT tires - not slicks. This really makes no sense to me. Bad move on STL's part.

I have no issue with IT7 being grouped with SM. The cars are compatible and it allows both SM and IT7 drivers to double dip in ITA if so inclined.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Quote Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
    My only concern is where ITS and ITR are grouped. They need to be with the rest of the IT cars.
    We split these of to try and spread the entries out into different groups. We never get a large field for the big bore group at this event and IT is always populated. How about the ITS/ITR drivers, what are your thoughts on running with the big bore at regionals?
    Bryon Prokopf
    St. Louis Region Club Race Committee Chairperson
    T&S, F&C

I like not having the itr and s guys not in the field, gives the rest of the field more laps instead of being cut short by a couple usually

Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

Hmmmmmm........................................... ...........

May have to trade with Trey and run IT7!!!!! I am sure there will be two more local entries, could be fun!

does anyone know where the bonus regional moves to next year?

hopefully somewhere a little more "miata friendly?"
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    does anyone know where the bonus regional moves to next year?

hopefully somewhere a little more "miata friendly?"
    Hmmmm.....what could be more Miata friendly than a momentum track like Gateway? Not sure their could be a better track for cars that don't have torque. An RX7 is a star at that place.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Hmmmm.....what could be more Miata friendly than a momentum track like Gateway? Not sure their could be a better track for cars that don't have torque. An RX7 is a star at that place.
    GIR is a big drag race. a low HP car like a miata gets slaughtered around the oval.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

GIR is a big drag race. a low HP car like a miata gets slaughtered around the oval.
    By what other ITA cars? Have you ever driven there?

True, the oval is a straight away with a bend in it. But you have to have a car that handles to use it that way. I can matt the thottle all the way around the oval and I go faster at Gateway than anywhere else. But to go really fast there you have to be brave in T1 and T2. It doesn't take HP to do that - just guts.

I followed Nadeem Bari and Jim Stevens into turn 1 several years ago. I saw NO brake lights. Balls...total balls.... I believe that they were running 1:12's or 1:13's in their RX7's SM Miatas were as fast or faster that weekend.

I don't know any RX7 drivers (IT and Production) that don't like Gateway and RX7's are momentum cars.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

By what other ITA cars? Have you ever driven there?

True, the oval is a straight away with a bend in it. But you have to have a car that handles to use it that way. I can matt the thottle all the way around the oval and I go faster at Gateway than anywhere else. But to go really fast there you have to be brave in T1 and T2. It doesn't take HP to do that - just guts.

I followed Nadeem Bari and Jim Stevens into turn 1 several years ago. I saw NO brake lights. Balls...total balls.... I believe that they were running 1:12's or 1:13's in their RX7's SM Miatas were as fast or faster that weekend.

I don't know any RX7 drivers (IT and Production) that don't like Gateway and RX7's are momentum cars.
    yeah, last october actually. any car should be able to stay flat through the oval, and i really don't think T1 matters that much. I went through it with no brakes last year, but i did lift. the real keys to the track imo is T5/T6 (whatever that goofy carousel is) and T7....especially T7.

also imo....a good ITA car should be doing 1:10, and i REALLY think 1:09 is achieveable. a 120hp SM (and that's a stout SM) will get killed around the oval by a 140hp honda, or a 130hp ITA miata, or a Neon, or a 240sx, or an SE-R, or anything besides an IT-7 really.
    Last edited by tnord; 10-01-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

A good ITA car at 1:09?

Travis, put the crack pipe down and slowly back away from the keyboard. The ITS and ITE cars do good to get there.

and i think a good ITS car should be down around 1:07.

if SM's are in the 12's, an ITA miata with 15 more hp, better suspension, lighter weight, better aero, and hoosiers should be about 2-3sec quicker.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.

Default Well...

Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.
    October 28th 2007
    Spooktacular
    Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
    Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking.
    Last edited by tnord; 10-02-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???
    that was probably in last year's Spooktacular thread where i said i hadn't driven the track since my drivers school 3 years ago (2004) in the snow. i was there last october.

final decision? no, but i'm pretty sure i know which direction i'm going.

i'm kinda busy that weekend.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I know the SM's have been in the low 1:12's (not this summer), sorry my wording was confusing. I meant that the ITS cars have never been anywhere close to 1:07. I would be happy to make 1:15.

October 28th 2007
    Spooktacular
    Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
    Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking.