Thread: Gateway in October!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
    By what other ITA cars? Have you ever driven there?

True, the oval is a straight away with a bend in it. But you have to have a car that handles to use it that way. I can matt the thottle all the way around the oval and I go faster at Gateway than anywhere else. But to go really fast there you have to be brave in T1 and T2. It doesn't take HP to do that - just guts.

I followed Nadeem Bari and Jim Stevens into turn 1 several years ago. I saw NO brake lights. Balls...total balls.... I believe that they were running 1:12's or 1:13's in their RX7's SM Miatas were as fast or faster that weekend.

I don't know any RX7 drivers (IT and Production) that don't like Gateway and RX7's are momentum cars.
    yeah, last october actually. any car should be able to stay flat through the oval, and i really don't think T1 matters that much. I went through it with no brakes last year, but i did lift. the real keys to the track imo is T5/T6 (whatever that goofy carousel is) and T7....especially T7.

also imo....a good ITA car should be doing 1:10, and i REALLY think 1:09 is achieveable. a 120hp SM (and that's a stout SM) will get killed around the oval by a 140hp honda, or a 130hp ITA miata, or a Neon, or a 240sx, or an SE-R, or anything besides an IT-7 really.
    Last edited by tnord; 10-01-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

A good ITA car at 1:09?

Travis, put the crack pipe down and slowly back away from the keyboard. The ITS and ITE cars do good to get there.

and i think a good ITS car should be down around 1:07.

if SM's are in the 12's, an ITA miata with 15 more hp, better suspension, lighter weight, better aero, and hoosiers should be about 2-3sec quicker.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    So you are saying that a good ITS car/driver has never been to GIR? The track record for ITS is over 3 seconds off 1:07. No SM cars were in the 12's at the last regional in St.louis. I am not saying in cannot be done in ITS, but it has not happened yet.
    October 28th 2007
    Spooktacular
    Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
    Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking.
    Last edited by tnord; 10-02-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I know the SM's have been in the low 1:12's (not this summer), sorry my wording was confusing. I meant that the ITS cars have never been anywhere close to 1:07. I would be happy to make 1:15.

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    October 28th 2007
    Spooktacular
    Group 6 - SM & IT7

Stephen Johnson - 1:12.647
    Jarrod Igou - 1:12.975

now, i understand that weather conditions were basically perfect that weekend, but I can find multiple times in the dead of summer at a 1:13.0xx

how much faster do you think a car should go if it suddenly had 15more hp, 45 fewer lbs, significantly upgraded suspension, shorter gearing, and hoosiers rather than toyos?

what if it had 40 more hp instead of only 15 more (like an ITS miata does)?

i'm not trying to be confrontational, i'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    I know the SM's have been in the low 1:12's (not this summer), sorry my wording was confusing. I meant that the ITS cars have never been anywhere close to 1:07. I would be happy to make 1:15.
    no problem.

if a SM is down 15hp, weight, suspension, tires, aero, etc to a good ITA miata, how much faster should the ITA car be?

If an ITA miata is down 25hp from an ITS miata, how much faster should the ITS car be?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Default Well...

Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Travis... We all look forward to your first 1:09xx laps with your new ITA car in March.

Were you the one saying you have never driven GIR before in another thread?

Did you make a final decision on car/class yet?

Why don't you rent a ride (Burkett's ITS '99?) for the 25th...???
    that was probably in last year's Spooktacular thread where i said i hadn't driven the track since my drivers school 3 years ago (2004) in the snow. i was there last october.

final decision? no, but i'm pretty sure i know which direction i'm going.

i'm kinda busy that weekend.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Because the track is short and fast (high average speed) times are compressed. You cannot assume time spreads based on other tracks in the division or around the country. Gateway is that different.

At Gateway aren't the GT1 cars averaging in 1:00 - 1:01 lap times? A good IT7 time is just 13-14 seconds slower than that. Now, at MAM the same cars are like 25 (or more) seconds apart.

So an IT7 car that is 1 second slower than an SM at Gateway is the same as the 2-4 second spread everywhere else.

Anyway.......watcha doing that has you sooooo busy Travis????
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Quote Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
    Because the track is short and fast (high average speed) times are compressed. You cannot assume time spreads based on other tracks in the division or around the country. Gateway is that different.
    the short track thing is a valid point i thought about, but i figured that was kinda nullified in that in my mind, the track is still a big drag race

At Gateway aren't the GT1 cars averaging in 1:00 - 1:01 lap times? A good IT7 time is just 13-14 seconds slower than that. Now, at MAM the same cars are like 25 (or more) seconds apart.
    and how many Nationally competitive GT1 cars do we have around here?

Anyway.......watcha doing that has you sooooo busy Travis????
    attending my own wedding. and even if i wasn't....
    1) i haven't renewed my liscense or membership this year
    2) my car is.....how do you say........um......broken?
    3) i don't rent cars, ESPECIALLY at concrete jungles like GIR. way way way too big of risk to the bank account.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region