Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Watkins Glen ITS Video - spectator view

jerestahl-

Don't be to hard on yourself, the accident could have been avoided by either party, it was a result of multiple mistakes. You are correct it is the responsability of the passing car to make a safe pass... I am glad this video was posted as it should have been educational for both the lappeers and those that may be getting lapped.

Raymond "We are all wishing you a fast recovery!!!" Blethen

PS: Can I ask what made you get into racing at 73 yrs old and why didn't you get into it before now??? Don't get me wrong, I think it is great but I don't understand how you resisted soooo long!!!
    Last edited by RSTPerformance; 09-26-2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Jeff L is right let it go, we are all friends!!! Learn from it and move on :)
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Jere, Glad to hear you are on the mend. Hope to be out there at 73 also. Wilson

I have wanted to road race since I went to the grand prix at Watkins Glen in 1951 at age 16. By the time I was situated enough to do anything it was much easier to drag race which I did with some success from 1960 to 1967. I then decided I had to either be a racer or be in business. By the late 1970's I discovered I have a severe case of motion sickness which resulted in nausea any time I was exposed to higher later G forces. Thus after a few experiences I decided I was not able. In the fall of 2006 I saw an add for a Skip Barber High Performance driving school that used street cars. I thought I'd be able to cope with those forces. Wrong... within 30 minutes I was sick. A fellow class member offered me a dramamine which turned out to be the magic pill. On day 2 they let us do 24 laps in 4 different cars on the 24 hr road coarse w/o the chicane. I came home using a word my wife had never heard come out of my mouth. FUN. Anyway, I became consumed with the idea of road racing. However I was sure I was too old. It all got resolved with me renting a Miata from Mike Collins for a SCCA drivers school at Summit Point. The bottom line is I did way too good. I was 7th quick out of 24 students and my instructor of 18 years experience at Summit Point assured me I was not too old. In fact he leaned on me numerous times to go faster. Collins even told me I was "quick". In fact 2 weeks after the school Blake Clements rented the car and was about 5-1/2 seconds quicker than me. Since that time I've found 1 dramamine tracks, 2 dramamine tracks and both Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen are 3 dramamine tracks. Until WK I have only had car contact 1 other time and that was a true idiot drove into my right side. Under most situations I have enough situational awareness and car control to avoid contact and to not become a moving road block.