Thread: Watkins Glen ITS Video - spectator view

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Watkins Glen ITS Video - spectator view

OK - Speilberg I'm not but this should provide some entertainment. Folks who haven't been to WGI will get a perspective on how large, unique and beautiful this track is. I move around for several different views.

Since I have an ITS car again my focus is totally on the ITS guys racing in Group 1. A good friend, John Grezech got on the track for the first time this year in his ITS RX7 so I spend time focused on his car.

I have no editing skills so this is pretty raw footage. I have clips from the Sat and Sun races. Sat was raining - Sun was pretty dry.

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=407143954908402477&hl=en[/ame]
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Nice! Interesting assumptive commentary regrading the "Amy incident".. LOL>
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Yeah - wish I could pull that back - it wasn't a Miatter wipeout and it was too easy to blame that model car.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I did enjoy the commentary...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Uh have you seen Gregs in car video??? The white ITA car that Greg was passing hung high in the last "S" as Greg and ITS train stormed up. They successfully got my the two cars (ITB Golf, it appears) closely trailing said white car, but then at the last split second, it swung down into the path of the oncoming train of ITS cars that were glued to Gregs bumper. Greg made a split second call and tried to lift and go high and "thread the needle" behind the white car moving down and the cars just passed, but didn't quite make it, and his RF hit the white cars LR, spinning it and he. Wilson went off onto the right grass, and that didn't end well either.

Sobering video on being aware of fast moving traffic coming from behind. And Harding, the leader, had just stormed by, so the white car should have known that more were coming. A rookie mistake perhaps, but I understand it wasn't a rookie driver.

ALL of the above is IMO...

see it here:

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7958267554041595094&hl=en[/ame]
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Uh have you seen Gregs in car video??? The white ITA car that Greg was passing hung high in the last "S" as Greg and ITS train stormed up. They successfully got my the two cars (ITB Golf, it appears) closely trailing said white car, but then at the last split second, it swung down into the path of the oncoming train of ITS cars that were glued to Gregs bumper. Greg made a split second call and tried to lift and go high and "thread the needle" behind the white car moving down and the cars just passed, but didn't quite make it, and his RF hit the white cars LR, spinning it and he. Wilson went off onto the right grass, and that didn't end well either.

Sobering video on being aware of fast moving traffic coming from behind. And Harding, the leader, had just stormed by, so the white car should have known that more were coming. A rookie mistake perhaps, but I understand it wasn't a rookie driver.

ALL of the above is IMO...

see it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41595094&hl=en

Jake-

I am sorry but based on this video only I am not sure I can agree with your comments... We can learn from this incident... I know that "this" type of thing has the potential a lot when I am lapping traffic, so it must happen a ton for those ITS and ITA front runners. I completely agree that the Miata should have left more room but other than that it was a very thin needle to thread, and the car sounded like it was on the throtle when it hit the Miata. I would love to see video from one of the cars just behind the incident.

Raymond
    Last edited by RSTPerformance; 09-15-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com