Thread: 1980 RX7 clutch fades mid-race

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So did you have the flywheel resurfaced, and replace the other parts? I was using a generic clutch because I had one explode on track and needed one on a saturday night. I never changed it again after that. Is there a proven clutch that will last me a long time? How about pressure plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    Matt,

..... The pedal feel was definitely as you described it. Good when it was cold with the release / engagement point at a normal position. But, after it would get heat soaked it would get spongy and not have that "feel" of releasing....... It could be compared to Brakes that are boiling the fluid type of feel..........Since the pressure plate was never fully disengaging, the pedal felt the same all the way through the stroke.... Instead of more pressure at first and then less after it disengages, like normal.

RT

Matt,

My old engine had a Center Force dual friction clutch and it worked great. No slippage at all and no visable wear after 6+ years of use.

My current engine has a used stock clutch and it slips on the 3-4th shift. I am ordering a Center Force DF for it too. Summit has them for $$295

Unfortunately I can't swap clutches between the two engines because one has the early flywheel and the other has the latter flywheel
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

thanks Scott, I need to check what year engine is in my car and order one.

A stock disk will also swell up with temperature or oil and will become too thick to disengage. It will seem OK when cool and you look at the disk and it looks new. Had a friends ITS RX7 do this at school.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I think you should just park the car and get out of racing. Or I could trade you a nice "very stock" IT7 for it.

Or you could just put a Centerforce clutch in it, replace the clutch master and slave cylinders, pressure bleed it and be done with your problem for a good season or two. Just get it done by October for Gateway!