Thread: Mr2 Ita/b

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If your point about "unique" is about the low polar moment of inertia, then yeah - I think it is a two-edged sword. It's going to yaw (rotate) quickly and with less warning and feel than something with the weight out at the ends (a la the Audi). I think someone withe appropriately quick hands will be able to take advantage of that but an old fart like me would just spin it all over the place.

This behavior would only be aggravated in the wet: Faster yet, with a hot hand, scary as sin with old reflexes.

K

The low polar moment is fairly evident in the street car. The race car sould be like you said, interesting. We are having problems sourcing resonably priced suspension for the car. We know we are going to run konis. The rest of it is hard to come by. In either case since the car was not finished in time for this year the driver is more than likely going to be attending the double school in savanna in it that I think is in March?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    If your point about "unique" is about the low polar moment of inertia, then yeah - I think it is a two-edged sword. It's going to yaw (rotate) quickly and with less warning and feel than something with the weight out at the ends (a la the Audi). I think someone withe appropriately quick hands will be able to take advantage of that but an old fart like me would just spin it all over the place.

This behavior would only be aggravated in the wet: Faster yet, with a hot hand, scary as sin with old reflexes.

K
    a good seat-of-the-pants feel & quick hands are a must for certain in any platform such as this

the wet has never been that scary in my Mk2, turns from the neutral that I've tuned it for into mild understeer... seems like the front can never quite get enough grip to make things interesting. Though if your rears ever hydroplane while the front doesn't... watch out!!

again - I'd LOVE to get in a Mk1 and see what they're like, my only experience with one was a street Mk1 SC which did feel the same in the turns as my own car
    Ken Brewer
    1991 Toyota MR2 - retired NASA TT car, Daily Driver
    1994 Toyota MR2 - ex-SSB car -> NASA PTE/SCCA ITA

not that your looking for another project.. but you can pick up a NA MK1 fairly cheap now a days..
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

maybe co-driving an enduro in one would be more attuned to my budget & attention span
    Ken Brewer
    1991 Toyota MR2 - retired NASA TT car, Daily Driver
    1994 Toyota MR2 - ex-SSB car -> NASA PTE/SCCA ITA

The MKI is way more tossable than the MKII. Having auto-xed both of them and done some track days in a MKII, it is a GT car to the MKI's sports car. Think of a Miata with a slight rear weight bias. It can burn you, but it also allows you to stay on the power (what there is of it) in long sweeping turns. You can get close to 140 hp out of the 4age without spending a million bucks, now how much of that can be had legally will remain to be seen.