1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Doc Bro and A Ruddy had an excellent battle in A until Doc got a *wee* bit slideways out of the south chicane onto Nascar 2 and lost about 20 car lengths. Ruddy took the checkered

word last night was the tunnels were flooded and folks were stranded in the infield :cool:
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
    ...word last night was the tunnels were flooded and folks were stranded in the infield :cool:
    Just talked to Kessler. Apparently the tunnels are completely flooded, and they're bringing people across the track in the regular RV parking area (top of hill by the tree house). Of course, that only happens during scheduled down times (Kessler called while begin stuck OUTSIDE the track trying to buy street fuel...)

Second-hand info on Bro is that he was significantly distracted by some welding slag that fell onto the track in front of him and he tried to avoid it (don't know the details; apparently the track was doing some wall repairs during the race??) I'm sure we'll get the details from the horse's mouth later tonight/tomorrow...

They should't let slags weld, they rarely do a good job!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

wierd.. I didn't notice any "work" being done down there unless they started after group 3 finished (I was shooting from the corner station at the chicane/oval transition.

Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

First, I would like to congratulate 2 very deserving drivers. Anthony and Jeff for their wins. Anthony you are a class act all the way, sorry it took so long for you to add another win. Thanks for making me a better driver this year. Jeff, passing on the sticker tires so that we all had a better race was a huge show of sportsmanship, that's what it's all about. We do this for the fun....and that decision made it much more fun.

OK, now for the absurdity.....

Qualify in the wet to dry (on wets...ooops) for Sat pm race. Anthony, Victor, Milty, Doc Bro...

Green comes out and I get a good start, passing Milty on the start and Victor into 3 The next few laps are me and Anthony in some kind of nose to tail chess match. After about three laps looking for a weakness (there weren't many), I go for it going into the chicane turn 1. We drive through the chicane side by side with about the width of a playing card between us. We play a little more nose to tail but I gradually open to about a 5 car length lead. I am totally in a zone, being certain to focus on my marks and not looking in the mirror. Unbeknownst to me, between S/F and the braking zone there is a workcrew in a bucket truck welding the part of the fence that overhangs the track in preparation for this weekends NASCOW race......

As I approach a huge amount of sparks, embers and slag falls directly in front of me, in the line. I immediately turn hard to the left to avoid and back to the right. I still don't really know what just happened but I knew if I ran over it I'd probably have a molten bit of slag go through a tire. I was late on my brake point and turn in point after the high speed evasive maneuver and Anthony closed in on me in a flash. He passed me a turn or 2 later. I stayed with him but I was definitely out of my zone. I was frustrated to have lost the lead and the cushion, but I was shocked that the safety of the drivers was held in such low regard. I overdrove the chicane out of frustration, resulting in a spin...finished P4.

I was absolutely heart-broken to have lost what should have been an easy win. That win would have been a great way to end my season and my relationship with the Z3. I officially put it up for sale this weekend, as our pregnancy and family is taking center stage.

Thanks all for a great season and intense competition.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Rob,

You're hanging up your helmet

I know the time will come for each of us to give this up. Hang on to your memories of the good times. And good luck with your family.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

No temptation into just moving into a less expensive car?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Rob,

You're hanging up your helmet

I know the time will come for each of us to give this up. Hang on to your memories of the good times. And good luck with your family.

James

James my friend,

I never said I was hanging up my helmet, it's just that our family is growing and changing and the Z3 is part of that.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    No temptation into just moving into a less expensive car?
    As you are no doubt aware, I'm betting it has less to do with available financials and more to do with available time/priorities...

Doc - that is a heartbreaker story - a most bizarre way to have a win robbed. That would have been your first in the Z3?

In best Terminator voice, "You'll Be Back!"
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I'm betting it has less to do with available financials and more to do with available time/priorities...
    Good point, forgot about the Doc part. Rob, are you sure you truly want to sell it versus letting it sit a bit? Even if that only means doing the required two races next year then getting back into things more so the following year. Racing has been a family thing for you why not just include the little one? I know it's none of my business....
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Talk about a wild weekend. Pole position on Sat, Win on Sat, and finally a rain/wind storm of epic proportions! Like Rob, I have to thank my competitors for a weekend of very close and clean racing… and especially for the NARRC guys… for staying home!

To get the pole on Saturday morning was exciting enough, and I figured it was the rain vs. dry tire decision. But when I actually finished first it was a great feeling. Rob had a good start and got inside of me going up the hill thru turn 3. Because I had the preferred line, I had the momentum going up the hill and was closing on him fast. To lift or not to lift.. that was the question. I didn’t lift! I connected to his back bumper and pushed him up the hill. Some hand gestures were made by Rob, but it turns out he was giving me a thumbs up and not a finger.

He and I had fun racing nose to tail and pulled away from the rest of the field. He made a great dive bomb pass into 1 and took the lead. I followed him for about 5 laps and then made the same dive bomb pass. (Thanks for showing me it works!) He chased me for a bit but then got loose in 2A and gave me the cushion I needed to stay ahead. Then I only needed to fight my own mind. “Holy $%#* I am in first!” – “Shut-up and drive!”

Sunday was also a great day. Pulling into pre-grid I jokingly drove towards the side of Rob’s car and put my hands over my eyes. Little did I know that it was really going to happen later. Rob’s spin out of 10 happened right in front of me. I lifted and the car got twitchy, but I got it settled and drove around him. Geoff pulled away easily and I only had to drive well and keep Victor behind me. But an overzealous line in Turn 11 put me offline and heading for that #&$’ing hole. I had to turn right to straddle it and had an exciting ride thru the grass. Victor got by and took the 2nd.

Funny thing… people kept asking if it was my first 1st place finish. It wasn’t but I could not remember the last time. Looking at my “wall of fame” it was in 1998 with a 1986 CRX Si! That was back when a 1:20 could take the pole using the oval.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    … and especially for the NARRC guys… for staying home!
    I had the same benefit last year for my first win in the Saturn. But considering the competition in the region this year, it's still a great win!! Congratulations!! You've really made some great strides this year!! What was the secret?? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    Unbeknownst to me, between S/F and the braking zone there is a workcrew in a bucket truck welding the part of the fence that overhangs the track in preparation for this weekends NASCOW race......

As I approach a huge amount of sparks, embers and slag falls directly in front of me, in the line. I immediately turn hard to the left to avoid and back to the right. I still don't really know what just happened but I knew if I ran over it I'd probably have a molten bit of slag go through a tire. I was late on my brake point and turn in point after the high speed evasive maneuver and Anthony closed in on me in a flash. .... I was frustrated to have lost the lead and the cushion, but I was shocked that the safety of the drivers was held in such low regard.
    They were welding above the track and dropping debris ONTO the track? WTF? Who was the safety steward? Where they aware of this? Sounds like a possible nasty outcome if something punctured a tire/windshield/radiator/etc.

Good luck with the family! You'll be back.

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Secrets?? Ceramic turbo bearings! And my cousin Vito the welder.

Honestly... it has been one of the first years in a while that I was not rebuilding damage or chasing gremlins. Instead I got to use my time dialing in the handling.

As for the welding... it caught me by surprise too, but I was not under the area when the sparks were dropping. The track had someone welding on the arch of the fence right over the race line down the wall. I had noticed it earlier than Rob probably because he was behind me. Once in front of me he had a better look ahead. But I know if he had not swerved, the sparks were going to bounce off of his windshield. It's all about timing. :eek:
    Last edited by almracing; 09-08-2008 at 03:09 PM.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Awesome race to watch on Sunday. Congrats to all!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Default distracting workers

It was a great weekend overall, the weather and track cooperated at least for most IT guys. The work around the track was definitely distracting while driveing. I also saw the welding on the fence past flag staion on the main straight for the ITA race. The first time I noticed it I saw a huge welding arc flash ahead and thought, I shouldn't be looking directly at the arc. Then I saw sparks falling down on the track a few laps later. A few laps later I forgot about it and as I was driving down the straight I thought to myself, "gee, I seem to be far away from the wall, I should get closer to reduce wind drag and maybe go faster" but then I remembered the welding and moved a good 15 feet away.
    Then on Sunday, guys were climbing on the fence on that back straight, and they were right where you track out. :eek:
    I have to say, that was even more distracting to me during qualifying. Especially since my tires were pretty worn and I was fighting to stay away from hitting the wall.

Victor
    ITA 03
    Acura Integra

Thanks sponsors!
    HMS motorsport
    Acura of Peabody

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    James my friend,

I never said I was hanging up my helmet, it's just that our family is growing and changing and the Z3 is part of that.

R
    Well Rob,

I'm glad you're not hanging up your helmet If you want to race a Z3 and you're comming out here, let me know.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Holy sh*t! I can't believe they allowed people to be crawling on the fences and welding them while racing was going on?!
    That is a new level of stupidity.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"