Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 97 Integra GSR as an ITS car?

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    I'm going to say that yore doing something wrong. You seem to be wearing the outside of the tire, which to me doesn't imply wheelspin or wear through the brakes. Since your car and my car weight exactly the same, I'm assuming we are going to be putting fairly similar load on the car through the corners (same weight, same suspension, same tires).

More camber necessary on that particular track?

Again, I can't see how your car, that would run 2 seconds faster on an almost 2 minute lap at Road Atlanta because of the power, could kill a tire like that, while my car heat cycles them out before it wears them out.

-Tom
    I was kinda thinking the same thing, but how do you tell tGA he is setting his car up wrong.
    Last edited by spnkzss; 09-08-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

It sounds like the car needs track-specific set-ups. Wait...everyone is doing that already, right?

Given the lack of torque on the GSR, I don't see an appreciable increase in tire wear on the ITS car vs, the ITA car. Maybe under braking - from higher top speeds I guess.

What works on the A car should be a GREAT starting point on the S car, no?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    It sounds like the car needs track-specific set-ups. Wait...everyone is doing that already, right?

Given the lack of torque on the GSR, I don't see an appreciable increase in tire wear on the ITS car vs, the ITA car. Maybe under braking - from higher top speeds I guess.

What works on the A car should be a GREAT starting point on the S car, no?
    I would say no. There is a large difference in power and you are trying to use more brakes in the S car than the A car. We have spent all year, three koni rebuilds and are still working on suspension improvements. The car is handling well. This perticular tire was defective IMO and should not be an indicator of the car.

HOWEVER, there is little doubt that this car is very hard on tires. How hard depends on which track and if they get to cool down on a long straight or not. We have been playing with tire pressures to get them in line, but you come in and take tire temps and go WOW! They are getting smoked...

The front tires are being asked to do a lot. More so that the ITA cars IMO. We have talked with many ITA drivers with setups and they are all struggling with the same issues up north at least. This has some to do with our tracks though...
    Jeremy Billiel

The car is hard on tires, I will agree. Much more so then the ITA version *becuase* of the lack of TQ and high HP. We have to be in a lower gear at the peak of the power band to have any hope of not getting left for dead in most slow corners.

Now, I have not killed a front tire like that since the days I was running track days with an open diff and street-like springs. For me, the R6 wear has been very good. Even at notoriously tire eating circuits like Roebling. Not going to go out and say tGA is doing something wrong, but something isn't right from that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazmarc63 View Post
    Must not have been too bad. He is entered in the Daytona regional at the end of the month. Scotts car is beautiful and is nearly at 100% prep level. He is consistantly very fast but...

He can't keep the axles from coming apart. The latest thought is to run a cooling hose directly to the boot. Hope that works for him. Its always great to have him at the track. Should be an interesting weekend in ITS.
    It was pretty bad I pulled a piece of the bell housing out of the radiator. I guess the block was alright. but the rest was a total lose.. He missed the frist race competley and the qualifying of the second due to a shorting O2 sensor that kept poping the computer fuse, but between me and chip we got it back together. we were so excited to see him make a lap.. then boom!

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    The car is hard on tires, I will agree. Much more so then the ITA version *becuase* of the lack of TQ and high HP.
    does this seem contradictory to anyone else?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I thnk you can minimize the tire wear issue with car setup and driving style. However discrediting the car due to it's increase in tire wear in reference to the ITA becasue the increase in power is like discrediting a real time integra because of it's incrase in power..

I'm going to say that yore doing something wrong.
    I accept that possibility; after all, we're still learning. However, this is but one symptom of an ongoing issue with this car (and, frankly, 18 minutes? You gotta be DAMNED good to tear up a tire like that in 18 minutes ). - GA

was the tire new with no heat cycles?
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

i had this happen to me at nazarath during qualifying in a ssm with a brand new toyo. i changed the tire to one with heat cycyles for the race and the problem was gone. i think the fast corners and vigin rubber did not get along.
    i never changed the set up on my teg.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

I'm kind of with Andy. Doesn't everyone run track specific setups already? I know my car has a good bit of change from RA to Roebling for example.

I'm also confused on how this car can be harder on tires. I know you are using the tire more during brakes, and more on the way out of the turn but we have the same amount of weight on the tire, and the exact same suspension through the turn. I also will use the tire MORE coming out of the turn as I have more torque.

Jeremy/Greg - feel free to email me about setup if you guys want to talk. Not sure how much I have to help, but my car sure has the setup nailed for Road Atlanta

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

He can't keep the axles from coming apart.
    Guarantee the car is too low. The FP cars are holding their axles together, so its not a symptom of power. (hint: "IT height" is too low)

-Tom
    Last edited by trhoppe; 09-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

I also will use the tire MORE coming out of the turn as I have more torque.
    I still think you are actually using less because you can be in a higher gear.

Either case, tire wear has not been a problem on my car since running ``The Trever Setup``. My tires heat cycle out or I turn them into different types of polygons long before they wear out.

When I set up Ivan's GSR, may it rest in peace, it was way above the 5" I think I had it about 5 1/2" to 6". If you vent the CV boots and do not slam the car on the ground you will have very limited axle problems. I also feel that good used axles with new boots are the best option. I feel that the new joints are tight and build more heat, were as the used on are worn a little bit and do not build as much heat.

Blake Meredith