Thread: Thoughts on enclosed trailers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thoughts on enclosed trailers

I'm in the market for a used 24-28ft. enclosed trailer. Most of the 24 footers i've looked at have 3500lb axles. With the trailer weighing an average of 3500lbs and the car weighing 2800lbs that doesn't leave alot of room for extra gear. So I would like your thoughts on overloading these trailers and how well they'll tow.
    Last edited by pitbull113; 08-26-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Keep looking, they are out there with 5K-lb axles. In my opinion, don't settle for less than 10K capacity. My TPD has 3 lightweight axles instead of 2 heavy ones. I don't necessary think this is better, but it's another approach.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

don't for get the 1000lbs or so on the trailer hitch that should be added to axle capacity to get total trailer capacity.

3500 is too low for a 24 though. that is normal for a landscape trailer. hold out for 5k axles. although if you find a great deal on one with 3500's it is pretty easy and not that expensive to get newer heavier duty axles.

Thanks guys. I thought it wasn't a good idea but wanted a second opinion. Too bad, 24 footers are dirt cheap in my area right now, $3500-4000, but I will hold out for one with 5200lb axles.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

Finding a 24' enclosed car trailer with 5200-pound axles is rare. The 3500-pounders are the most commonly-delivered one (just about every one you see will be 3500). If/when you find one with 5200-pounders, it will be significantly more expensive.

28-footers, on the other hand, typically come with 5200#. But, as you've no doubt seen, they're noticeably more expensive.

An alternative is to buy a 24-footer in good shape and swap out the axles. 5200# torsion axles assemblies can be found for ~$500 each, and you'll need new brakes and wheels/tires. Yup, it'll require some work, but it may be faster than waiting for one already equipped to show up.

On the other hand, what are you planning on towing? Judicious use of a 24-footer with 7000# gross can be done easily, unless you're planning on towing a 4-wheeler or something like that also. Ask yourself if you're actually planning on adding in over 700 pounds of tools, equipment, parts, gear...if so, you'll probably want the space of a 28-footer anyway. - GA

One disadvantage of the 10K+ trailers is you could potentially get pulled over quicker if you pass up weigh stations (search for several threads in many different car forums about people being pulled over, and in a number of cases, having major problems for not having CDLs). There is a DOT required reflective strip around the bottom of the heavier trailers. I'm not sure of the exact laws regarding this, but it's along the lines of any trailer over 10K rating must have it. In a way, it can be a calling card to the police if/when they're looking to pull over people who pass up the weigh stations.

In addition to being careful about what you load, I would strongly suggest upgrading the tires and wheels if you think you might be at all close to the rated weight. Many people have had tire issues - belts and general blowout. The tires supplied on most all 7000# trailers are just barely adequate. Both the Pace Shadow and Pursuit trailers will easily handle the better load rated tires/wheels (225 instead of the standard 205 size), suspect all other major brand trailers will as well.

If having a trailer custom made, most major brands will build to the 7000# spec, but you can pay for an upgrade to the 5000/5200# axles (doesn't change the trailer rating). Some will custom build to a spec just under 10K (9999?) - this is of course a much more expensive option.