Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad day at Lime Rock

Part of the reason that I race a 240 is PLN. I had the fortune to meet him and Jo Ann one time, in the middle 70's at an IMSA race at RA. Like so many of you have said, he was all about racing at the track, forget the star stuff.

I watched him stuff a Bob Sharp Z under the bridge that weekend. He walked away but I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I too think of this a celebration of his life. God bless you and your family
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I got into racing when my father took the family to LRP for a Fram family day. (Dad made machines at Fram) P. Newman was running that day and I got to wander around his paddock with the VIP pass. From that day on I wanted to race. P. Newman broke on the warm-up lap and had to exit the track near turn 3. My mom was there as the staff opened up the fence and PLN walked right by her. Nothing like being a teenager and see your mom act like a swooning school girl... LOL.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    the line is from the movie, but did newman say it..or did the man with no eyes say it to newman's character......

It was Struther Martin playing the Warden.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

I was working at Road Atlanta a couple of years ago when we ran late, into the quiet hours on Sunday. Corner workers at Road Atlanta have a tradition of going to Curt's in Oakwood for the breakfast buffet and "bench racing" about what we'd seen and done. Since I had multiple pick-ups, I was running late and running the risk of missing out of the buffet. I was going past the garages just behind the Paddock Grille, probabaly a good bit faster than I should, when someone appeared from between a couple of trucks and stepped in front of me. I locked it down and was about to start into a stream of profanity when he looked up and it was PLN. He smiled, waved, I saw him mouth "sorry", and he stepped out of my way so I could get my breakfast. All I could think of is reading the headlines nationwide saying "Safety worker at Road Atlanta runs over famous actor/racecar driver!".
    Long live PLN and the legacy that he has brought us all.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C