Thread: Sad day at Lime Rock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    He's truly a class act. I loved how he would come out and was always just one of the gang. Never any arrogance, just a damned good driver. It is sad, yes, but becoming aware of time passing and things changing always is.
    Like Greg said: He's had one hell of a good run. And now he's on the grid waiting for the 5 minute warning for his next race. Hope he finds some awesome new roadcourses to compete on.
    Well Said !!!

Sorry to spoil your Paul Newman chronology but he repeated that line back to Strother Martin in the movie.

BruceG

Never met Paul, although he did cruise by me on a bicycle a few years ago in the CART paddock at MidOhio.
    Yet I've heard countless stories from those in the racing field who had the chance to meet him. All said that he was as down to earth as they come. He wanted no special treatment, no b.s. of that sort. Must have been an amazing guy, what with his accomplishments both in cinema, racing and life.
    Yes, I'll miss him as one of the true icons of our sport. There will never again be another Paul Newman...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Although I have never met the man, my wife did on unusual circumstances. About 1990, when the RunOffs were still at Road Atlanta and PLN was always that first paddock space past the garages on the left and the paddock levels went down hill from there. My wife had sprained her ankle about 2 weeks before the RunOffs that year and was not going to be stopped from going to the RunOffs. There were always good parties and fun at Road Atlanta. Anyway, one afternoon she had to go to the "real" restrooms, the ones located at the garages way uphill from where we were paddocked. She grabbed her crutches and headed that way. She got to PLN's paddock space and took a break. Going uphill with crutches can be very tiring. One of PLN's mechanics came over to see if she was ok or if she needed anything or help. She didn't but they continued to chat. Somehow during the chat, she lost her balance and began to fall backward. Someone caught her...PLN. Needless to say, when she came back to our paddock, she was all giggly and excited and we had a difficult time keeping her calm that day.
    Phil Harris
    MidSouth Region
    Memphis, TN
    1991 Mazda Miata

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
    -ernest hemingway-