Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sep Fastrack is a dud... again

Default Sep Fastrack is a dud... again

I have not been told NO in a while now......
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Oct will be chock full of info.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The CRB is recommending new driving suit standards, I just do not understand the need

1. Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrists. One piece suits are highly recommended. All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 8856-2000 homologation. Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used except with suits carrying FIA standard 8856-2000 or SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    The CRB is recommending new driving suit standards, I just do not understand the need.

1. Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrists. One piece suits are highly recommended. All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 8856-2000 homologation. Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used except with suits carrying FIA standard 8856-2000 or SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch.
    We're not recommending new standards. This is part of a reorganization of the GCR sections for annual and event inspection of cars and driver safety equipment. However, there is a problem that has crept into the section you have cited: we have a separate recommendation to reinstate the FIA 8856-1986 standard. That is not reflected here. If this set of changes is approved, it will reflect the 1986 standard when it goes into the GCR for 2009.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    The CRB is recommending new driving suit standards, I just do not understand the need

hey Dick,

didn't they already rewrite that part this year? and what you qouted was the old text? mm... i gotta go read this
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

The CRB recommended it last year and the BOD voted it down. While the using the FIA 2000 standard would be a disaster as it would outlaw suits that are only a few years old, I believe even adopting the 1986 FIA is a unnecessary change that will alienate many drivers.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Whatever happened to the old Pony Car proposal for ITR? I think we submitted that back in Jan 2008. Is it dead yet?

Not dead. It's just resting hard.

In a way, not having heard "no thanks" should be taken as a good sign.

K

OK, I'm a patient person, but it has been (3) FasTracks now and there is still no acknowledgement of my letter.

What can be done to speed up this process? I can see why so many members get frustrated with the "system."
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by planet6racing View Post
    OK, I'm a patient person, but it has been (3) FasTracks now and there is still no acknowledgement of my letter.

What can be done to speed up this process? I can see why so many members get frustrated with the "system."
    Bill,

Did you get the e-mail response that it was received? What is the topic? I have the last call notes right in front of me.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    We're not recommending new standards.
    Dave, you *are* recommending new standards: driver's suits of SFI of FIA approval are not required now. By requiring SFI or FIA certification you are implementing new standards. - GA

What's the status of the VIN rule? Did the BoD every make a decision on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Bill,

Did you get the e-mail response that it was received? What is the topic? I have the last call notes right in front of me.
    Andy:

I did get a message from them that it was received. I even know that it was supposed to be discussed at the August 5th meeting (because I've been asking). It went to the Prod AC and apparently fell into a blackhole or something.

I don't know how to make things better (because I don't know what all goes on behind the scenes). But, I do understand why many people feel the SCCA is a slow moving ship. If I were to have even received a quick e-mail stating that my letter was set to be discuss on XXX date and you will be updated on the status by YYY, I'd feel like there was progress.

Then again, maybe it is just because I have to write all these damn action plans for the work I do...
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

Quote Originally Posted by planet6racing View Post
    Andy:

I did get a message from them that it was received. I even know that it was supposed to be discussed at the August 5th meeting (because I've been asking). It went to the Prod AC and apparently fell into a blackhole or something.

I don't know how to make things better (because I don't know what all goes on behind the scenes). But, I do understand why many people feel the SCCA is a slow moving ship. If I were to have even received a quick e-mail stating that my letter was set to be discuss on XXX date and you will be updated on the status by YYY, I'd feel like there was progress.

Then again, maybe it is just because I have to write all these damn action plans for the work I do...
    Is this a Prod or IT question? What is it?
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Dave, you *are* recommending new standards: driver's suits of SFI of FIA approval are not required now. By requiring SFI or FIA certification you are implementing new standards. - GA
    Please see 9.3.19.A of the current GCR. The requirement for SFI or FIA certification was to have been in place this year. It was delayed until 2009. We have asked the BoD to approve the reinstatement of the 1986 standard along side the 2000 standard.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    Please see 9.3.19.A of the current GCR.
    Dave, GCR 9.3.19.A states the following:

Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrists. One piece suits are highly recommended. All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 8856-2000 homologation. Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used except with suits carrying FIA standard 8856-2000 or SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch.
    There's no SFI or FIA certification requirement in there.

As I recall, wasn't this proposed to the BoD last Fall and rejected? If it was approved, in what Fastrack did that happen (it would need to be on a Fastrack approval, since it's a change from the '08 GCR)?

Update:

I pulled out all my old Fastracks. In the August 2007 Fastrack, requiring SFI and FIA (2000) suits - effective 11/1/07 - was proposed by the CRB in their July 2007 meeting. This was forwarded to the BoD for approval.

As per December 2007 Fastrack, this was passed - unanimously - during the BoD's November 5, 2007 meeting, still effective 11/1/2007.

However, in the January 2008 Fastrack, during the minutes for the November 30th, 2007 meeting, there is yet another motion, under "New Business", this one to leave the rules as-is but make SFI and FIA (2000) a requirement effective 1/1/09. This time it passed but it was NOT unanimous, with Holtz and Introne voting "NO". Yet, I can find nowhere where this was proposed by the CRB (as the minutes say), nor can I find anywhere where the prior requirement was rescinded (I suppose it was superseded by the 'change' to go 'back' to the original rule effective 1/1/08.)

I also see where numerous letters were received in opposition to the GCR change (10 letters in opposition in Feb Fastrack, 3 in March noted as "input", none expressly listed in support.)

In the June '08 Fastrack, the CRB made (in their April meeting) the recommendation to add the 1986 FIA standard. In the August Fastrack, there are several letters in support of this change (e.g., Zaslow, Ebersole, Rhea, Blethan), though some may be inferred to be in support of suit certification requirement.

And, of course, the September Fastrack has the revised rule as is being presented to the BoD, requiring SFI and/or FIA certification effective 1/1/09.

So, Dave's right: it looks like SFI or FIA certification of some level is required. What that basically means is that unless you've purchased a suit within the last 10 years or so, your suit will be illegal for use effective 1/1/09.

No more hand-me-down suits, folks, time to pony up to the SFI tax collector. This is not a good rule, and I bet that once people go through their first annual inspection a lot more people will recognize this. We're going to be turning away a lot of people at our first event next year, the annual start-of-the-year driver's school... - GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 08-21-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks for the research Greg, this one is/was confusing.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No more hand-me-down suits, folks, time to pony up to the SFI tax collector. This is not a good rule, and I bet that once people go through their first annual inspection a lot more people will recognize this. We're going to be turning away a lot of people at our first event next year, the annual start-of-the-year driver's school... - GA
    So what you're saying is that I need to make plans to show up at the Feb RRR Super School with a bunch of severely over-priced crappy (but compliant) SFI race suits for sale?

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

G-Force 505 1-piece is $239 SFI-5 rated.

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-gf5...?productid=916
    Andy Bettencourt