Thread: LRP lap times old vs. new

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don’t think the pro IT is a very good indicator. There were a few fast cars in each class but not the depth of fast cars the Narrc offs bring. Qualifying was damp and people were having some issues with finding turn in points and such. I will go out on a limb and say we may see 2 second drops if the weather is real good for the narrc off.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Hi Dick

After going to the 3 day racing school at LRP in April(obviously, with the old surface and all the concrete strips in turns 2 and three), I went back on July 7th for a full day of lapping in Formula Skip Barber's. I think we did appr. 100 miles. All my references points in 2 and 3 were gone and the camber seems to have changed between turns one and two(seemed flatter on the old concrete strips). Turns 1,2 and 3 seemed slicker to me than the old surface:yet, the downhill under the bridge seemed to have more grip. Someone mentioned that they used a more expensive type of asphalt in 1,2 and 3(so it would last longer)which means harder.

LRP used us as test subjects for the 2 new chicanes, built for ALMS. They completely destroy the ebb and flow of the old track, in my opinion. You scrub off all your speed on the end of the back straight before the first chicane, the line after you go uphill is completely different before the last chicane, which is another 90 deg. before the bridge.

I hope there is never a SCCA race or track day(SCDA,etc) at LRP that ever has to use the new chicanes!!

Finally, there were a couple of us in racing school who thought we were pretty quick(compared to 80yr old men, people on crutches,etc). When we had our lapping day. we had a few IMSA lite drivers who were there for the race thar weekend that went in with us. They passed me on the first lap and I never saw them again!!. Gosh was I humbled.

Bruce

By looking at the Small Bore results from the National, lap records should fall significantly. GTL, E, F & H Prod all set new records, all now under 1:00.

The GTL new and old records were by the same car and driver Wilson Wright. The prior record was set at the '07 NARRC Runoffs @ 59.6. The new records are GTL @ 57.6; EP, Kevin Leigh @ 57.9; FP, Steve Gorriaran @ 58.5; HP, Ron Bartel @ 59.9.

GTL dropped 2 full seconds and this was by the same car/driver. With good track conditions all records should drop significantly.

EDIT; Add that the ITR record dropped 1.5 seconds from the record set at the '07 NARRC Runoffs.
    Last edited by Dave Patten; 08-15-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Dave Patten
    Dunbarton, NH

ITR record comparison is not so valid as the class is new and realizing it is still .7 slower than the ITS record and .1 slower than the ITA record.

I think it will depend on the class. The stiffer-sprung cars will gain more than anything that had any ability to soak up the bumps. Not sure how slicks fit into this having never driven on them. I bet the SS records fall slightly and the open wheelers drop big.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I Think traffic was also a big factor at the pro-it "38" cars. Also most of the cars had full fuel loads so times should be off my car came over the scales 60 pounds heavy plus i had my cool suit on because i firgued 45 minutes race in the heat , but i also think there's aleast another second or two in my car. I can't wait to go back.

Dave Maynard
    ITR 325i

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    I Think traffic was also a big factor at the pro-it "38" cars. Also most of the cars had full fuel loads so times should be off my car came over the scales 60 pounds heavy plus i had my cool suit on because i firgued 45 minutes race in the heat , but i also think there's aleast another second or two in my car. I can't wait to go back.

Dave Maynard
    ITR 325i
    Excellent point Dave. I was 60lbs over minimum in impound...wasn't sure how to gauge the 45 minute race in terms of fuel.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think Andy is right that the stiffer-sprung cars will gain more... Lime Rock is a lot about maintaining momentum, and the Audis (IT are more about long tracks were they can "run". The old Lime Rock it was tough to maintain the momentum in the turns with our cars (1800lbs on the front tires) but now that the track was smooth it seemed easy and we were able to "run" down the streights... Big Bend was so much faster for us (seemed like everyone was holding me up), the left hander was so much easier to get to the apex without being loose, the uphill and west bend was the same, but maybe a bit more grip. I didn't have trouble finding my markers. The Downhill had a ton of grip without that big unsettling bump in the apex!

I think over the next year or so ITB times to fall into the 1:02's but we (My brother and I) are happy in the 3's. I had car trouble and turned "normal" lap times and Stephen was 1 - 1.5 seconds a lap faster than normal but was also running on a fresh motor.

NARRC offs will be interesting. I would say that unbroken records could fall by over a second but people will need to behaive to get enough track time.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com