Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hub sheared!

Now the fun begins. I have a brand new hub assembly, in the box, ready to go. But wait! The bolts that hold the hub in the knuckle don't look right! On measusuring the bolts to the bolt holes, the holes on the knuckle are 3.75" on center, and the bolts appear to the 3.25" on center.

Oh, well - I don't know if the hub in the box is the real deal, so I order an new hub from NAPA and take the knuckle down to the machine shop to get the broken one pressed out and a new one pressed in. But guess what!! Same deal. the bolts and the bolt holes don't match up. Strange - there are part numbers cast into the knuckle, and they agree with the part numbers listed in the Chrysler parts manual for that year.

So, NAPA is going to order a different hub and see if those bolts line up. As I said, fun and games.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Bill,

You need to get rid of that piece of shit American made car........

(how many other people can say that to you and you not take offense!!! )

Yeah, that funky stuff with parts drives me crazy!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Jeff: LOL.....

Well, the thing is, I have about a thousand miles to go developing the car. I was thinking about it during the IT Fest, watching Kip drive past. Actually, if I put the seats back in, the car could run Showroom Stock (except for the age). The car is BONE STOCK! Have to see if Santa brings a fresh engine, camber plates, coil overs and shocks, fresh tires....... and the list goes on!!!!!!!!! The one good thing that racing has brought my family is an endless list of ideas for birthday, Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day.................
    92 ITA Saturn

Forget the engine for now. Get the suspension updated. Shocks, shocks and shocks!!!

You can still be fast with a stock engine (see tGA) but nobody is fast with a stock suspension.

I don't know much about this whole racing thing, but I do know shocks is where you want to spend your money.

What size tires do you run? Probably 14s??
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Jeff: Spec line calls for 15's. 205 50 15 C50 Hankooks
    92 ITA Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post

IIRC, Mopar performance catalogue says you are to change the ACR hubs and bearings every 12 track hours.
    I was informed of this about 20 hours into the Longest Day at Nelson 24 hour race last weekend. Lucky for me as soon as I hit the track for my final stint I forgot about that and pressed on...and luckily it didn't fail!

Around 1,800 miles in 24 hours non stop, plus drove it to the track and back home (about 10 hours or 500 miles extra) with no hub failure on our 95 ACR ITA Neon.

The Neon did have a hub failure a couple years ago for a 10 hour race at Gingerman, but somehow it worked just fine for 24 hours at the Ledges.

Left front back together. Hell trying to find a new axle but finally managed to get one at 4pm Saturday. I have spare steering knuckles and they are both going to get new hubs asap as spares for the rest of the year, and as new ones for next year.

For those who were looking for information about 'Green Bearings', they are still being manufactured (actually they supply a lot of hubs for NAPA and other parts dealers), but they need to be pressed in, they don't slide in. But they are one unit rather than seperate hub and bearings. And look more substantial than the hub that broke.

Entry sent off for the OVR Autumn Classic at Mid-Ohio this weekend.
    92 ITA Saturn

Well, the new hub held together for the weekend. All in all - the Autumn Classic was a success. Got to qualify Saturday with a VERY damp track, and Sunday in the rain. That put me in the middle of the grid, so both Saturday and Sunday, I was able to see the starter throw the green. Ahha the little victories. Saturday's race saw my first pass for position, Sunday yielded three passes, and even some dicing with a Sprite. And a new personal best lap time.

Of course there were some low's (if it was alway easy, it wouldn't be fun). Saturday afternoon saw the demise of the shift linkage where the shift tube connects to the shift lever (c clip, fixed that in 10 minutes). That didn't stop me since the car was in third when it disconnected. Who needs to shift? I was still catching a couple of cars in front of me! But then the temp started to climb so we came in. Actually, the bolt that holds the alternator on the bracket backed out, and I had lost the belt and one of the bushing. A trip to every parts store in Mansfield yielded nothing. So we headed back to the track to have dinner, pack and leave. At dinner, I decided to check out the boneyard where the Safety trucks drop off the parts that fall of race cars. I could not believe it, but there was the belt! So, back to the paddock and fab up a bushing. While that was going on, I noticed that the plastic cover for the main terminal on the alternator was loose - the piece that attaches to the alternator had broken off. But I was able to push on a crimp terminal. Sunday morning, everything was up and running.

Sunday - race time. Everything is looking good. Start goes ok, of course the track is dry, so everybody behind me goes flying by, we go two (or was it three) wide into 1. but we're staying up with the pack. Pass an orange Mustang - pass for position in class!!!!. Then we take on the Sprite. This is really cool! Get by him, but he hides in traffic and passes me back. OK, work him over a little, then take him on the front straight!. OK, things are going good. brake for the carousel, just a little too hard, lock up the fronts, here comes the grass, here comes THE WALL!!!! NO, the back end just comes around a little more, and we end up 90 degrees to the track about 50 feet off. I remembered to put in the clutch, so the engine's running, so grab first, check traffic and get back out there. Didn't notice, by the Sprite gets back around me. :-(

But we finish the race!!!!!!! But, oh, no! The temperature is climbing again. So, pull off at 8 and get towed back in. Sure enough, the belt has decided to depart the vehicle again. And we still had the handicap race to go. Someone said it came off at three, but the next race had started, so we could not get out there to ask, so I went down to station 5 and they said that Safety 1 had picked it up. Back to the bone yard, and sure enough, there it was. What kind of luck is that, loosing a belt twice and recovering it.

Here comes the handicap race, of course I'm on the pole with the slowest qualifying lap of those entered. Well, we got to lead about three laps but actually it was the best practice session ever, since everyone went by me at the same time. And set a new personal best time.

Can't have a better weekend than that.

Best of all, Sharon says on the way home "When we come back in October......." That's about as good as the time she said "The next race car we buy........"

Hope everyone else had a great time at the Autumn Classic.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 09-09-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: perfectionist took over!
    92 ITA Saturn

Bill,
    Good story! Good weekend for you!
    There is not one time that is better than when the wife says,
    "WE need a better race car"
    I heard it one time back in the '60's, and it is sweet!
    Carlos
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by wcmcarlos View Post
    Bill,
    Good story! Good weekend for you!
    There is not one time that is better than when the wife says,
    "WE need a better race car"
    I heard it one time back in the '60's, and it is sweet!
    Carlos
    Yeah, not too bad for a 25 year old 98% stock car! (front shocks are 135Lb and stock ride hight. Engine has not been apart since I bought it. )
    92 ITA Saturn