Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITB Mustang

Default ITB Mustang

Any one have any experience/thoughts on the 2.3L mustang in ITB?
    Competitive/a dog? Obviously depends on the individual car.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce

have you seen the white one running this year in the NE? might be a 2.3 capri but same difference I guess.

he does not seem to be very competitive but I know nothing about the driver and car appears to not be very developed...
    Last edited by CRallo; 08-11-2008 at 09:05 AM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Default ITB Mustang

We raced one for many years, just sold it 5 years ago. I have a lot of information on the car, and many opinions.

It is not classed well in ITB considering the low Hp rating of the engine as stock.

Advantage: Its line in the specs has many variations on a theme: From carb to FI (not a good one to use), 16 different heads, admitidly, not much change between them, except for the FI; Very robust short block; One trick differential, not used much; Very good parts availability in wrecking yards; relatively inexpensive to make, since it requires more labor than purchased parts.

The good parts for the chassis are for the GT (V-8), which varies significantly...many good parts are not interchangeable with the 2300 chassis (dimensionally).

Disadvantages: Bad rear suspension; Bad front suspension; Low Hp; Poor trans ratios; High end final weight;

Final thought: Good learning car, mid-pack, but, I'd rather not build one. I'd purchase one already built, and go from there.

If you are interested in MANY more details, not to mention a blue-print of a car to build, write:
    [email protected]

Good racing.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Default ITB 2.3 L Mustang

Thanks to both you guys for your thoughts. I put the cart before the horse and purchased one with a spare r but hasn't been thru 2008 ebuilt engine and a ton of parts. Current SCCA logbook but hasn't been thru 2008 tech inspection. Harness,etc are good till 2010. NO DNf's ever and I thoght might be a good way to start racing(as you've mentioned, Bill....good availability of parts).

I graduated from Skip Barber Race school at Lime Rock in April. I didn't have the car then so that was the only way to get a regional License. I will be racing in the NE region next spring.

Have tried this summer to get in as much track time as possibe(about 200 miles at Lime Rock, so far).

Hope to see you both down the road at the track.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Default ITB 2.3 L Mustang typos

Sory.. what I meant to type was has a spare rebuilt engine and a ton of spare parts. Current logbook but hasn't has a 2008 tech isnspection.

Bruce

Bruce,
    The Thursday test days at NHMS are usually pretty low key if you want to shake down the car this year. NER has two more weekends there in two weeks and in four weeks, even if you are not ready to race it you could come over and get the car teched. The techs are good for 12 months now so if you have ant issues you can find out early.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

We have been running one for years with some good success. It really depends on the track. It does take a fair amount of work to get to handle well but it can be done. Give me a call and I will give you some details.

Ron Sattele cell 770 757 1447
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

nothing like shooting first and asking questions later!!

sounds like you are having a good time with it so far.
    what group(s) are you running with at LRP?

RWD>FWD IMHO it will be good to see another american built machine out there!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Well i run a mustang in the ITB class and i'm still using the factory speed density setup and i have had very good succes and alot of fun with it. When i first started to race it i was very very slow compared to the rest of the field, now with more seat time and better preperation of the car it is a top 5 runner in the ITB class here in North Carolina.

Another turd polisher....Welcome!

You will have fun sliding it around
    Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

Hi Dick.

Thanks for the great info! I will try and get to NH and go thru tech inspection. I'm going to Lime rock this thurs(8/21) for a half day in a spec miata(Skip Barber's version). It occured to me that all my track time(except for a SCDA track day in my 2005 Subaru automatic outback wagon) had been in open wheeled cars. Might be nice to get some laptime in in something a little closer to ITB.

I hope to meet you in the near future, Thanks agian for the great info.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Thanks Dave. I'm full of shit anyway so turd polishing comes easy.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Hi Manny

My car came from James Hunt in Huntsville, Al. You may have raced with him from time to time. The car appears very well prepared and I wasn't expecting a rocket, just reliable and easy to get spares.

Thanks for you kind words,

Bruce

Hi Thanks for the kind words. I was at LIme rock 2 weeks ago(as a spectator). Some thunder storm at lunch time!! Those showroom stock drivers did a great job on the track just after lunch on a really wet track.

I was at a SCDA track day at LRP this week. Hugh field that included a brand new Nissan GT_R(sounded like an electric car) and 2 brand new Porsche gt3(hammering. Must be nice to be rich(oh,well).

Hope to see you at LRP soon. Last race for SCCA is in late sept at LRP, I think.

Bst Regards,

Bruce

Hi Ron. I'll call you! The car came from James Hunt in Huntsville, AL and seems very well prepared. Jim is one hell of a nice guy and really has taken care of the car.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Lots of those up here at Waterford Hills - must be 'cause we're so close to Dearborn.

Still, they're all mid-pack ones, nothing all that competitive, but they're plentiful and the better-built ones appear to be quite reliable, like any other racecar.

Best of luck...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

In the last 40 races I've only had one DNS & no DNF's
    (Cracked rotor & no replacement)

The 2.3 is too dumb to die.
    And the rest of it is built like a tank.
    (You don't need fear a confrontation with anyone...Even a 142)

Come on over to skid row (Pinto paddock area) next time you see Team Welfare Racing and we'll give you some pointers on engine stuff.
    You want to squeeze all the juice you can outta that turd in order to keep up with the VW *spit* scourge.
    Last edited by dlg208; 08-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

Default ITB 2.3 L Mustang

Hi Dave. I hoped I had purchased the "sherman tank" of ITB(along with the 142). Sounds like my dream may have come true!

Looking forward to meeting you down the road, Dave.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Looking forward to meeting you down the road, Dave.
    Sure...I'll give ya a little bump sometime and

(Or vice versa)
    Dave Gills
    ITB Red Pinto #80
    Grove City, Pa.

Hi Dave. No problem on a bump. Neither of us will be in a spec pinaeta!!

See you at the track.

Bruce