I should say that I have it pretty good. My dad raced in IMSA in the 70's and his old race engineer is still a very close friend of the family. He is the motor guy, thats all he wants to do. I just have to work on the car. Like I said, 3 kids, a great wife, and self employed, time is what I need more of, so I just slip down to the basement a couple of nights a week and work on stuff. It is my escape from life. My family knows that its daddy time. Sometimes its for several hours, others just one. I am very lucky to have a complete workshop with welders, drill press, ect...
Also, we have been at this Mustang thing for a while. I first started with a 1971 ford capri with the 2 liter for a few years. But body parts and such were tough to get. Thats when we got car 1. It was a purchased car off of ebay for really parts, we ran it for a season and realized it was a handful to drive but made good power. Car 2 was a converted AS car that had a very nice cage and many little things done that were great. It was built by Dayton Brooks. Thats where we really started trying to make the car handle, Good shocks and springs the front sway bar, delrin and aluminum bushings in the front, steeda rear end, YES we spent some money on that car. But it was heavy and after having to put 2 front clips on the car we decided to build our own. After looking at hundreds of cage designs and finding and early year donor we went to work on building the lightest car we could. Car 3 is where we are now. It took a year to build in the basement, we skipped a year of racing and pulled off all the stuff off of car 2 and that is how we got here.
We have spent some money over the years and some of the stuff we have is a little over the top but we are having a great time. For those of you that don't know my dad shares the driving duties with me and it is something I never thought I would get to do. I know there are many teams like ours (father/son) but having grown up being dragged all around the country as a kid watching him race it is a treat to share it with him now. 5 years ago, as a fathers day present, I took the car and dad to VIR for drivers school and the rest is history.
Bottom line is this, we have tried lots of stuff over the years. I have read all the books about mustangs, and there are quite a few. In every book you pick up little tricks even in the circle track ones. I would be glad to share what we have done with anyone who wants to know, well 90% of what we have learned. I don't know it all, but god knows we have tried it.