Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 280ZX, has anybody raced one

If anyone is looking for a 280ZX tub to start with, I remember Eddie over at E. Radatz Motorsports having a 1979 with manual everything (steering, locks, windows) and slick top that was in fairly decent shape. The car has been sitting for years and would definitely have to be reduced to a tub, but if it was going to be used as a race car then no big deal. It is probably one of the lightest versions of this car you will find.

You can call the shop and see if it is still sitting out back. (770) 926-6609 (North Atlanta area)
    Last edited by bobpink; 08-17-2008 at 01:16 AM.
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA (sort of)
    ITS Honda Prelude

Hello IT guys,
    It's been a long time since I've posted here. I built Charles Perry's car basically by myself, with some help from a cage guy and engine guy. The answer is a resounding YES, this is a good car. It's next to impossible to get to min weight, unless driver weight is 135 pounds. The car is pretty big compared to a Z. I talked Charles into it because he is hard on brakes and I wanted to break his 13 dnf's in a row with a Datsun Z car! My research showed I could get close to the Z horsepower, the tranny is better, the brakes are better, and the aero is better. I left no stone unturned building that car from performance standpoint. The rear suspension takes a ton of trial and error. DO put a fuel cell in it! Don't even attempt to monkey with that crappy ZX fuel delivery. It's a joke and was a joke on the streetcar after a few years. The engine runs like a sewing machine. I've only driven it for about 3 laps at Moroso and it was a hand full for sure. The steering ratio is slooooooow. It has a the manual steering. Good luck finding that.

Pinky,
    That's the car I got the rack and steering column from. HAH. What a coincidence!!

Greg ira

I remember being on the track with I believe it was Ken in the early 90's when he was driving the white 280ZX. I remember at Putnam Park the car was wicked fast and was a winner. I thought he won Central Division a time or two in those years. Memory says that the car was sold to a Cincinnati Region member and was raced for a few years after that then dismantled. As strange fate may have it, I happen to have the engine out of that car sitting in my garage on the floor.........
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

Dave,
    Let me know if you want to sell that engine. I think Charles would like a spare. If it's a good deal, he might buy it.

thanks
    Greg ira

Default So glad to see this thread!!

Just logged in to this site and registered because I was concerned about my new toy.

About a year ago, I acquired a former ITS car, an '82 280ZX. Wasn't really sure if it was a worthwhile investment, as it had been sitting for a couple years, but the price was right, it seemed to be all in one piece, and I came to trust the guy I bought it from.

Car sat in the weeds for another year until I had the chance to have it shipped from MA to the Midwest. Just took possession of the car last weekend, and am just starting to resurrect it for competition next year.

I've been concerned about it, not knowing what tweaks it should have, and I've been concerned about the weight, because although I haven't taken it to the scales, it does look a bit brick-like.

Default more of the same

Not sure which key I whacked to post that last one, 'cause I wasn't finished!

Anyway, I'm very pleased to see opinions that this can be a competitive car. I'll get some pics up once I've cleaned up the dirt, leaves, & debris..

Default Hey...

DRL... Will you be racing in MiDiv? Where are you located??

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    Just logged in to this site and registered because I was concerned about my new toy.

About a year ago, I acquired a former ITS car, an '82 280ZX. Wasn't really sure if it was a worthwhile investment, as it had been sitting for a couple years, but the price was right, it seemed to be all in one piece, and I came to trust the guy I bought it from.

Car sat in the weeds for another year until I had the chance to have it shipped from MA to the Midwest. Just took possession of the car last weekend, and am just starting to resurrect it for competition next year.

I've been concerned about it, not knowing what tweaks it should have, and I've been concerned about the weight, because although I haven't taken it to the scales, it does look a bit brick-like.
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

I'm curious who's going to be racing ITS in MiDiv also....

<---debating ITA vs ITS next year. and i'll at least be bringing an air rifle to the gunfight rather than my usual sharpened stick.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Default Great Lakes & CENDIV for now

I've been away for a while, so for the first year or two, I'll probably stay close to home. My son is also clamoring for a ride, so he may get some seat time as well (after, of course, he's spent some time turning a wrench!)

Assuming he's starting, we'll probably stick to tracks I know and can help him with.

So I might not make it to Midwest for a bit.

what area are you in/what tracks are "close to home?"
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I'm in the metro Detroit area, about 1.5 hours east of Grattan, 3 hours north of Mid-Ohio