Thread: Problems with Chrys. minivan power steering

Default Problems with Chrys. minivan power steering

Help needed... I'm trying to get my power steering working so I can get to the 'Fest on time... things aren't going well, after replacing the pump I can't seem to get the dayum thing to bleed... now instead of an ugly leak, I've got nearly no power steering!?!

Anything I'm missing???
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

With my Daytona (same system) I had to jack the front-end off of the ground, then bleed it. If it aerates (turns pink), turn off engine for approx. 30 mins then try it again. Lifting the tires is required on alot of the imports. Good luck at the 'FEST.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

Cheers; thing that's surprising me is that it is showing no signs of bubbles at all. Not merely just not foaming, but not even a single bubble. Also - fluid selection? Owners manual and the manual I have from the '97 minivan swears up and down not to use ATF, only PS fluid... but everyone seems to indicate ATF?!?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Sometimes you need to apply a vacum to the system. Fords usually need this, but I would try it anyway. You will need to rig a sealed cap with a fitting for a vacum pump. You can use a hand pump style and suck it down and see if you get results. Does that system have a hydraulic cooling fan, I can't recall if the vans did or didn't?

Are you also sure you don't have a restriction in a line or a bad new pump?
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    Sometimes you need to apply a vacum to the system. Fords usually need this, but I would try it anyway. You will need to rig a sealed cap with a fitting for a vacum pump. You can use a hand pump style and suck it down and see if you get results. Does that system have a hydraulic cooling fan, I can't recall if the vans did or didn't?

Are you also sure you don't have a restriction in a line or a bad new pump?
    Yeah, we're gonna try a serious vac pump tonight; used a Mityvac last night, but may not have had the capability req'd. Thankfully no hyd cooling fan!

As for the other options; can't say the new pump isn't bad, this is quite true. Sadly. Though there is some small amount of boost available, mainly once the revs get up a bit - which seems consistent with sucking air or restriction, I'd think. As for restriction... well, it was fine when it was taken apart, just leaking a good bit.

What's your thought on fluid choice - ATF+4 or PS fluid?? Shouldn't matter for the level of problems I'm having, right?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My understanding with fluid is that ATF has more detergents in it to keep valves clean ect. I don't think it is going to hurt you in this case
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring