Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race car/Trailer storage

Default Race car/Trailer storage

Those of you who store your car and/or trailer, what do you pay? For what conditions (indoor/outdoor/covered)?

Thanks in advance

Rory

Awfully region-dependent question ... are you wondering what a good deal is near you?

I'm sure many of you pay less than half of what I do, but the same is true for home prices and rents ...
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

shore in CT 50 dollars outside storage for a 40 ft spot.

Thanks for the disclaimer Josh, how about a number?

Quote Originally Posted by backformore View Post
    Thanks for the disclaimer Josh, how about a number?
    Okay, fine. $175/mo for a 35' trailer spot. Outdoors, behind a locked gate, but with power and shade.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Central NJ, about $600/year (paid quarterly) for an outside spot in a fenced yard with 24 hour access. No set spot size, and I have a 24 ft. overall length open.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

It pays to live out in the country, away from the city. Race car stays in the garage. The crew chief only requires one parking spot in the winter. I usually find someone to 'borrow' my engine hoist for the winter !!!!!!

Over the past few years, I have been lucky enough to have friends that had plenty of outdoor storage space that I have been able to take advantage of. Last year, I was able to move the trailer from about 15 miles away to my next door neighbor's who has 5 acres and two barns. Cost - just being a good neighbor.

cheap skate racing!!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Get with some other racers in your area and rent a shop/warehouse that also has outdoor parking available. We got 3000sq/ft air conditioned for $1000/month and parking for our trailers outside. With 6 guys total expenses are just under $200/month.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

My car stays in the garage for the winter. The trailer gets tucked into the woods on the edge of the property for the winter.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I pay 330 a month for a large 2 bay warehouse. I keep 3 cars (the ITS car being one of them) inside and a few outside.

Florida Gulf coast.
    133.50 for 12 X 20 includes elec. and bathroom key.
    then 21.95 per month fenced, lighted, no security.
    I took three, one for race trailer, one for motorhome, one for boat.
    best deal I ever heard of. except for Mark's Texas deal.
    Good Luck
    Carlos
    Last edited by wcmcarlos; 08-06-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: clear mistake
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

I was paying $20 each a month for the tow vehicle & trailer in an outdoor storage lot run by a construction company. The rates will go up to $25 a month starting Sept 1st. Security is that the owner of the lot lives in front and the lots in back. Access is during daylight hours. Area is south Chicago suburbs. My race car stays in my garage.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

In my area an open spot big enough to store a small open trailer is $100 a month probably $115 by now. When looking for a trailer I couldn't justify spending more in a year to store a trailer than it was worth. Since I couldn't find a small trailer that suited my needs at a reasonable price I decided to make my own, and when doing that I made it so it can be stored on the side of my house. I can have it put together faster than my brother can drive to pick his up and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    In my area an open spot big enough to store a small open trailer is $100 a month probably $115 by now. When looking for a trailer I couldn't justify spending more in a year to store a trailer than it was worth. Since I couldn't find a small trailer that suited my needs at a reasonable price I decided to make my own, and when doing that I made it so it can be stored on the side of my house. I can have it put together faster than my brother can drive to pick his up and come back.
    now that is sweet!!
    Last edited by CRallo; 08-10-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: snipped too much :(
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post

sweet!!! you need to make those and sell them!!! how about a picture of it "together"... where is the axle?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

here is the only picture I have of it assembled, as for the axle its the torsion type axle(no leaf springs) so it only has two bolts on each side that holds it to special plates so I just undo the 4 bolts and then pop the trailer up onto the small temporary wheels you can see in the first pic to role it to the side yard.

here is pic of the axle so you can see how it bolts together:

Default Trailer

Dude,

Can you send me plans OR do you want to sell it? Whenever I build something, I ALWAYS find that there is something I wish I'd done differently <hint, hint>.
    For my SPU Baby Grand, this looks like the ticket!!

Scott Franklin
    Scott F AT NutDriver DOT org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Great looking piece of work. You do need to start making them and sell them. Now, is there any problem with your car insurance? How many lbs can you carry (again, legally) with one axle? Thanks, gfg

Yes I still have the plans, Ill convert them to pdf incase you don't have autocad. Also I will be using it at the end of August so I'll take a few pics, so you get a better idea.

The axle is rated at 3,500 lbs and I am not aware of any law that states you can't carry a certain amount with just one axle(obviously don't go past the load capacity of axle) and I am in CA which usually has every law in the book.

My car weighs about 1930 and if I remember I calculated the weight of the trailer to be about 875 not including the wheels. So as far as the capacity of the trailer I am fine. My concern was over loading the tires but I got some top of the line Maxxis tires that have a very high weight capacity(thats why they are so big) and I have not had any problems. I have let two people borrow it and they both said is was the smoothest trailer they have towed and I believe that is due to the torsion axle.

I'd love to get a copy of those plans as well. While I have a nice aluminum trailex for use I have a friend that needs a compact trailer and this would be perfect.
    db
    spdmonkey at aol dot com