Thread: WTB drive axles for '84 GTI

Default WTB drive axles for '84 GTI

I need a complete L/R axle set for my '84 GTI, I'm in the Indy area. Thanks for your time.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Jim
    Are you looking for new or used?
    Dave Parker
    WDCR HP#97
    2007 MARRS HP Champion
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

I bought a new (not rebuilt) unit from NAPA 2 weeks ago and it looked to be pretty nicely made. For the price (like $95) it seems silly to mess with used ones.

K

Kirk/Dave,
    Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I found new shafts online at Advance for $70 each, so I will order two sets. Hate to miss the IT Spec this weekend, but there are other fish to fry.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

I prefer rebuilding (remanufacturing) my own as the quality of rebuilds is uneven at best.

I have to agree with joeg about the randomness of quality on axles. I have found with VW axles, if you have a straight viable axle shaft then buy new Lobro/Gkn brand joints and build it yourself. Then you know it is done right. I have seen too many "new" axles that look questionable when you get inside of them.
    I have had one of the "new" axles fail and cost me a qualifying session.
    cheers
    Dave Parker
    WDCR HP#97
    2007 MARRS HP Champion
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    Kirk/Dave,
    Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I found new shafts online at Advance for $70 each, so I will order two sets. Hate to miss the IT Spec this weekend, but there are other fish to fry.
    At that price, they are probably not actually "new" but are indeed rebuilt...

K

Make sure they are new Lobro/Gkn brand joints on the shafts. Last year I put on new Empi's while I had the tranny out and they lasted 2 1/2 race weekends. The half being last years I.T. Fest. Put the old Lobro's and shafts back in that are 8 years old. They were inspected by a driveline shop and the pieces rotated. No problems.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

As long as the outer assembly fits the hub. I purchased a couple a while back, and when I went to install them, the flange wouldn't fit in the hub. It took a couple of sets to get it right, but these 1/2 shafts had a "lifetime guarantee" on them, so I played that card as long as I could.

Seriously, I travel with a full set of 1/2 shafts as spares. After the season, the 1/2 shafts and hubs are replaced with the spares, and the old ones are either replaced or rebuilt.

You can rebuild your own 1/2 shafts with kits, grease, boots, etc. but not all of us have the capability/hardware required to replace the bearings in the hubs.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com