Thread: Welded differentials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I put a lot of stock in slip angles - the reality that the tires REALLY aren't ever completely hooked to the ground.

My opinions are influenced by the fact that I'm a curb-jumping, grass- and dirt-hooking type. The point at which the inside wheel is on a low/no friction surface (grass, mud, air) one of the primary arguments against the spool go away. And they are minimized to a significant degree in other conditions.

Recognize too that this is another Old School moment for me. It's what we had, so we got used to it. They can be diabolical in the wet.

They also don't break (the spool option, that is) and are lighter, both in terms of mass and rotational inertia.

K

Toss that spool on the scale when you install it Kirk. The standard version is heavier than a welded. I do think there is a lighter version available today though. That said, the durability and servicablility of the replaceable spline shafts are enough justification for me to use an honest to goodness spool next time around.

For welding up a diff, be sure to get it crack checked by an expert before and after the process. It is quite common to find them not up to the task before you touch them, letalone after welding.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

A driver who is just a whole lot faster than me (not mentioning any names but his car is yellow and has a 4 on it) said that a locked diff forced you to keep your foot in the gas (fwd). That being said, I hated it. My current car has an open diff. I may not be as fast, but al least I don't fall out of the car at the end of the race.
    ALEX WILEY

59 SAAB 750GT MINI STOCK 70-72
    67 NSU 1000TT C SEDAN 73-75
    67 NSU 1000 TTS GT5 81-82
    74 FIAT 128SL GT5 83-84
    71 DATSUN 510 MINI STOCK 89-91
    74 SAAB 99 ITB 92
    74 VOLVO 142 MINI STOCK 93-05
    84 VW GTI ITB 06-08
    87 VW GOLF GTI ITB #15 CURRENT