Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel sizes in ITR.

I SWEAR that we went through this and NERD-tested the language, and it was fine. We got to the point where someone said, "JUST FREAKIN' WRITE WHAT WE WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO DO," and we did. I thought.

There's other steps between the ITAC and the ITCS, and we've sure seen plenty of examples of the editing process inject silliness into the final text of the rules.

K

So how does one go about getting a official answer on this?

Did you guys intend for people in ITR to be able to run any size wheel? Or just stock size or larger?
    Mike Uhlinger

Well, that's just it....we're all sitting here reading it, and yea, I recall the intent being as Greg describes, I'm not so sure the actual wording supports that, and, as Jeff, and Kirk, and Greg point out, there's a serious amount of pencil sharpening to come up with that. Ack.

I think the ITAC is getting a item added to it's agenda....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm 99% certain that ITR was not to be treated any differently than the other IT classes other than the allowance for wheels larger than 17" if they came as stock.

So basically, what this should say is ITR cars can use:

1. Their stock wheels, but nothing smaller.

2. Any wheel larger than stock but no larger than 17" (if stock is less than 17")

3. 18" wheels if fitted as stock.

Why we didn't say that (and I have a sneaking suspicion I wrote a first or early draft of this that was farked up) I just don't know. Sorry guys.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We tried to add in the ITR allowance without re-writing the whole rule. Here is what the rule MEANS and we can re-write it. This is not how it will be written, just the intent:

"Wheels Sizes
    a. Any wheel size may be used within the following limitations:

ITB and ITC
    Any diameter from spec line increasing to a max of 15". Maximum width is 6".

ITS and ITA
    Any diameter from spec line increasing to a max of 15". Maximum width is 7".

ITR
    Any diamter from spec line increasing to max of 17". Maximum width is 8.5".

The spec line determins the minimum allowable diameter wheel. If the spec line is larger than the class maximum, that size may be used OR the specified class maximum."
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    ITB and ITC
    Any diameter from spec line increasing to a max of 15". Maximum width is 6".

Which I still don't understand why 7" can't be allowed. Might have to try and come up with some new and better letters to support this.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    Which I still don't understand why 7" can't be allowed. Might have to try and come up with some new and better letters to support this.
    Here's my letter on the subject:

Dear Mr. CRB:

Leave the rim width in ITB/C the Hell alone.

Respectfully,
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Here's my letter on the subject:

Dear Mr. CRB:

Leave the rim width in ITB/C the Hell alone.

Respectfully,
    Is it only because you don't want to buy new rims or is there another reason? I ask cause I don't know.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Is it only because you don't want to buy new rims or is there another reason? I ask cause I don't know.
    I'd also vote to leave it as is. No need to make all the B/C cars swap to wider wheels when everything is working just fine as is. That'd be some serious coin for most folks and what would it really accomplish?
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    I'd also vote to leave it as is. No need to make all the B/C cars swap to wider wheels when everything is working just fine as is. That'd be some serious coin for most folks and what would it really accomplish?
    One thing which is minor is, one of the biggest complaints about moving an A car to B was having to buy new rims.

Added availability.

I haven't seen any real reason to keep 6" besides people thinking they have to buy new rims now to stay competitive. I know, IT doesn't change "just because" and I appreciate that, but for some reason this one has always boggled my mind.

Default wheel sizes

If we can upsize wheels, why is everyone afraid of the rule being interpreted to allow downsizing? To me that would make it much easier for competitors to configure the gearing they need. Is there really that much of an advantgage to downsize a wheel. If we can upsize, my thought is we should be able to downsize too. I am open if anyone has some logic to why we are afraid of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by madrabbit15 View Post
    If we can upsize wheels, why is everyone afraid of the rule being interpreted to allow downsizing? To me that would make it much easier for competitors to configure the gearing they need. Is there really that much of an advantgage to downsize a wheel. If we can upsize, my thought is we should be able to downsize too. I am open if anyone has some logic to why we are afraid of that happening.
    Unintended consequences. The Intent from my understanding was to allow the people that could only run 13 wheels to go up to 15 because 13s are becoming hard to find new. There may be lots of used 13s but wheels should be considered wear items and replaced ever so often.

Default wheel sizes

In my mind when you open that door, the door is now open, you should be able to walk through in both directions not just one. If competitiors can upsize, they should be able to downsize too, otherwise you create a rule that favors only some and not all. Unintended consequences does not seem like a good explaination to me, but I guess that is just my opinion. I was just trying to understand that reasoning.

I get the 13in wheel tire thing, but they are still available they just cost more.

That's certainly part of it... and if you think finding affordable 6" wheels for your car is difficult, try finding 7's for mine! But primarily, I just think it's silly to fix something that isn't really broken. About one New York minute after 7" wheels are approved for ITB/ITC, the guys in ITA/ITS would be screaming for 8's. It's a classic case of unecessary rules creep, and we've had more than enough of that over the years.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael